• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?

BTH

Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?

• Yes
    • No

7 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

That rotation ended up being pretty solid I think but man did they shit the bed in the playoffs.

We don't win the World Series without that bullpen.

I wonder what happens if Sosh went with Ortiz in WS game 7 instead of Lackey on 3 days rest.

Not a lot of confidence in Ortiz keeping the Giants at bay in a WS game 7, and we saw how solid Lackey was.

5 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

We can get away with having an average rotation if we have a lockdown bullpen. 

Tdawg, what do you think the team needs to make it an "average" rotation? Personally, I don't think that means Scherzer. I'm not saying I'd mind having him, but I think if we can get two of those list of about 10 free agents that someone asked us what order we would want them, I think that would be good enough. I really don't want Cobb back and I'm not interested in Kershaw or Verlander, but I wouldn't mind two of the others. We could also trade someone for a reliable starter (as long as it's not Marsh or Adell), if doable. 

9 minutes ago, Torridd said:

Tdawg, what do you think the team needs to make it an "average" rotation? Personally, I don't think that means Scherzer. I'm not saying I'd mind having him, but I think if we can get two of those list of about 10 free agents that someone asked us what order we would want them, I think that would be good enough. I really don't want Cobb back and I'm not interested in Kershaw or Verlander, but I wouldn't mind two of the others. We could also trade someone for a reliable starter (as long as it's not Marsh or Adell), if doable. 

I like Cobb. But I like the idea of adding 2 middle guys over 1 top guy. It's going to be cheaper anyway. 

Gray and Duffy, maybe? I like Gray and Cobb.

Just now, tdawg87 said:

I like Cobb. But I like the idea of adding 2 middle guys over 1 top guy. It's going to be cheaper anyway. 

Gray and Duffy, maybe? I like Gray and Cobb.

I agree. Two middle guys would be better than, let's say, a Scherzer and a 5 starter.

So this isn't necessarily what I want but what I think they'll be thinking.  

you risk spending 18m on a closer for a year.  

If he doesn't sign a multi year deal you lose about 5-6 mil in payroll flex for that year because you could backload him a bit (like 12,16,20 or whatever).  

Or you could sign another guy who doesn't cost as much and you've got another 6-8m to spend

Or you could trade for a guy and have anywhere from 9 to the full 18m to spend elsewhere.  

What Minasian has 45m to spend?  Do you take a risk of spending 40% of your budget on a closer?  Do you risk even spending 30% if you can sign him to a longer deal which then escalates and commits you to Ohtani or improvement money a year or two after?  

Or is Perry going to get a decent option for 10-20% of his spending money (max)?  

The acquisition cost for a solid reliever in trade is way less than a really good starter.  

Or look at it this way.  Scherzer for 30 mil and a FA reliever or a trade for guy who costs 8m.  Or Iglesias for 18 and one of the FA starters at 20m just for the first year who will likely cost you another 4-5 years at an increasing salary.  

There will be as much consideration as to the financial impact for 2023/2024/2025 as there is for 2022 and 5m now vs. 8m or 10m or 15m later is not something we can assume isn't absolutely part of how this plays out.  

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

This team needs a lockdown bullpen before they need a TOR starter.

For years I have read from you guys how easy it is to fix the bullpen.  Yet we have had a shitty bullpen 20 our of 22 years.

Zero chance that’s true.  
So 2002 and 2014 are the only good bullpens?  

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Actually it was my mistake.  I meant to say 10 out if 12 years our bull pen has sucked.  Which years did we have years am I wrong?

I doubt we had a “sucky” bullpen 10 of the last 13 years. You stated it as fact so you do the research. 

7 minutes ago, UtahHalo said:

Spotrac estimates Iglesias' value at $15MM but Kenley Jansen's at only $10MM. I don't understand that discrepancy. Is Iglesias really worth that much more or are the Spotrac estimates just up in the night?

If I had to choose between Iglesias at $15 million or Jansen at $10 million and a guy like McHugh at $5 million, I’d take Jansen and McHugh.