• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?

BTH

Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is Re-Signing Raisel Iglesias the Smart Move?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, HanfordGuy said:

Does Iglesias want to return? Offer him the QO and see what happens. 

I’m pretty sure he said before he wants to return. There’s a reason they didn’t trade him at the deadline. I tend to think that’s because they were confident they could resign him. If they really didn’t trade him because Perry thought we still had a chance to compete… then we are the most dysfunctional organization in all of baseball.

2 hours ago, Bronson said:

I’m pretty sure he said before he wants to return. There’s a reason they didn’t trade him at the deadline. I tend to think that’s because they were confident they could resign him. If they really didn’t trade him because Perry thought we still had a chance to compete… then we are the most dysfunctional organization in all of baseball.

I mean it can definitely be both.

I haven't read the thread, but from my perspective the Angels' needs are:

PREMIER acquisitions: A good starter, elite reliever/closer

SECONDARY acquisitions: Middle infielder, back-up catcher, second starter, a couple solid relievers

Meaning, they really only have two "premier needs": a good starter and an elite reliever, so given a likely $50-60M to spend, it makes sense to allot $15M of that to Raisel. Another $25M can go to a starter, and then $10-20M on the secondary needs, plus maybe a trade or two.

So yes, sign Raisel - unless they can make a similar trade as they did with Raisel, and acquire an elite reliever on his last year for relatively cheaply. But I'm not sure if there are many possibilities out there.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Iglesias settled in nicely and was better near the end of the season than earlier. The separation between his fastball and off speed pitches make him hard to time as long as he has his control and pitches ahead in the count. Which he did fairly consistently the last couple of  months or so.

But he knows he has leverage now and will probably wait it out for the most appealing offer. He also is familiar with the team and coaches and therefore has a certain comfort zone. The life of a reliever is precarious, so you would think he would be comfortable returning. If the money and term are at the high end of the he scale. 

There probably will be other bidders, but I doubt he gets term more than three years. I would be more comfortable with two, given his history. Maybe somewhere around the $15 million plus average per year, but front loaded. Depends also on what time he other offers are like. 

I, too, have not fully read this thread, in detail. However, I do have the following thoughts in regard to Iglesias that I am going to share here (and in the Primer Series):

1) The Angels clearly acquired Raisel in the first place to anchor the bullpen for a championship run in 2021.

2) Likely, in addition to the inexpensive acquisition price, the Angels clearly saw a scenario where, if the Halos were out of it at the Trade Deadline, they could move Iglesias (whether he was doing well or not) or, alternatively, a second scenario to keep him on the team and decide to make him a Qualifying Offer at the end of the season was the backup. The third scenario is actually the one that happened, where the Angels were swimming around in a pool of mediocrity and the Angels liked what they saw in Raisel and decided to keep him for a very unlikely stretch run and see if they can extend him, rather than lose him to free agency on a QO.

3) The Angels are probably doing their best to extend Iglesias, but they are likely to offer him a QO. Offering him the QO will still not deter the Angels from attempting to extend him, so the rest will fall on Iglesias' shoulders. I think the odds are in favor of the Angels if they handle it right, but no one is behind the scenes to give the play-by-play, so I'd say it is a coin toss at the moment. The market DOES favor Iglesias because he and one or two others are the top guys on what is a quantity vs. quality market. Also, for the Angels, they are probably trying to limit the extension to no more than 2-3 years, due to long-term payroll obligations, so that adds a layer of intrigue that could torpedo Raisel re-upping with the team.

4) Iglesias will probably be offered a QO and will likely accept it, but may not sign an extension because the market is very favorable for him. I can see him getting a 3-4 year deal at $50M+ due to the large amount of money floating out in baseball right now. That $50M mark is important because if he exceeds that, the Angels will get a slightly improved compensatory pick, which I think the odds favor, in what is likely to be a competitive market.

In the end, if Moreno does NOT allow the team to exceed the Luxury Tax, then the Angels are better off offering the QO (taking the risk if he accepts it, which I think is relatively low) and letting him walk into FA. Arte should be, in my opinion, willing to take the risk if Raisel accepts the QO, it is a win-win for the team, overall, even if Moreno has to go over the Luxury Tax. If Moreno is willing to go over the Luxury Tax and the Angels can structure an appropriate 2+ year deal, then the Halos should do that, too, Iglesias has really good peripherals and skills that can help this team. If he walks, then the team will end up relying on other internal options or finding another trade target (this will not be easy) which will change the composition and quality of our 2022 bullpen in a less favorable way.

So who knew that Raisel Iglesias would be such a lightning rod for the Halos offseason? If he stays, he impacts payroll in a manner that will force Arte to exceed the Luxury Tax probably. If he leaves, the Angels will have to revise their offseason bullpen plans, but will likely get a favorable compensation pick in next year's Rule 4 Draft.

EDIT: I should note that there are very few relievers out there that compare to Iglesias. He 2021 season was pretty unique and so finding a replacement is going to be very difficult (not impossible). He certainly topped out at the right moment in his career as he heads into potential free agency. The Angels are going to have to pay him if they want him to stay, whether it is in total years or AAV.

Edited by ettin

8 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I mean, would you be shocked by this?

Sadly, no

It’s mind boggling.

Iglesias figures to get at least $16 million per season this off-season.

Giving the QO means only $2.7 million over that minimum, for ONE YEAR, for an elite closer.
ONE YEAR!!!!

And if he left after that QO, a nice draft pick at least.

What the heck is Arte Moreno even thinking?   
Did Nibs really sour him that much on good money for pitching?

This off-season will clear the air totally on if Moreno is truly refusing to ever spend money on pitching.

Edited by Angel Oracle

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Sadly, no

It’s mind boggling.

Iglesias figures to get at least $16 million per season this off-season.

Giving the QO means only $2.7 million over that minimum, for ONE YEAR, for an elite closer.
ONE YEAR!!!!

And if he left after that QO, a nice draft pick at least.

What the heck is Arte Moreno even thinking?   
Did Nibs really sour him that much on good money for pitching?

This off-season will clear the air totally on if Moreno is truly refusing to ever spend money on pitching.

I’m going to laugh long and hard if they don’t sign him or offer the QO.