• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Some baseball card fun...

Deek

I just plunked down $540 for a Shohei Ohtani 2017 Bowman Chrome Refractor RC BGS 9.5 (sub grades: 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 10)... Which is the most I've ever paid for a single card - and I've been collecting since the mid-80's.  I've got cards worth more than this one - some I've purchased individually (Mantle, Jackie Robinson, Trout RC auto, etc - but bought them for less years ago) and many others I've pulled from packs or traded for them...

So what's the most you've paid for a card...?

Figure this beats bitching about the team and management for a few minutes :)...

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea there’s quite a few out there. I have a BGS 9.5 of the Trout RC. 

How much do you figure you could sell that for ? Very cool in any case.  

and I could have sworn one of those rating services didn’t do 10’s ? I'm probably wrong about that I guess. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

How much do you figure you could sell that for ? Very cool in any case.  

and I could have sworn one of those rating services didn’t do 10’s ? I'm probably wrong about that I guess. 

It’s nearly impossible to get a BGS 10, they call it pristine.  
I'm guessing I could get $2300-2500 for it. Give or take. 

When I collected, and now that my son does, I was and push him to be more of a pack guy than a single card guy. That said, I took him to the LB Expo a couple weeks ago for a Collectibles show. It was mainly coins but there were 8-10 sports card vendors there. We bought a lot of singles, including a raw Yellich and Arenado RC. $12 and $15 each. Most of what we picked up were 2019 to 2021 rookies for $2-$5 each. 

As I think about it more from an investment standpoint I think the play is to buy and hold unopened hobby boxes. The 2011 Topps Update (Trout) Hobby boxes are like $17K each. The 2018 (Ohtani) are $1K or more.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

I still can't believe I traded all my mint condition baseball cards when I was 17 for a gym set w/ weights. 🤦‍♂️

Your "mint" condition cards were almost certainly no where close to mint the way they do the grading these days. In the 70's and 80's the cuts were so bad that mint cards are incredibly rare.

38 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

If you want to take advantage of a newbie intelligently wanting to blow his load early on in the process, feel free to show me what you’d be willing to part with

I've got 9 will clark rookies. Willing to part with them for $1000. Fuck it. $900. $100 each. #Stealingfromme

18 hours ago, HeavenlyHalos said:

$2K for a 2011 Topps Trout PSA 10 RC. Worth about 5-6K now. I'm considering selling it but it may still increase in value. Tough call.

That seems a little fishy.

1 hour ago, m0nkey said:

If you want to take advantage of a newbie intelligently wanting to blow his load early on in the process, feel free to show me what you’d be willing to part with

I’d sell Juan Soto and Ronald Acuna RCs if you need or want them.