• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rendon having season ending hip surgery

mmc

1 minute ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree that they should have traded him.  I disagree it was because of Arte’s ego.  If that was true his ego wouldn’t have him paying money to take Heaney.  

Sure it would. Arte is not adverse to paying money. Obviously. He's adverse to waving the white flag.

Trading Heaney made the team better this year. Easy sell for Minasian to his boss.

Trading Raisel made the team worse this year. Not a thing Arte would be open to.

1 minute ago, Hells Rainbow said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/11/mlb-free-agent-predictions-2020.html

This article had predictions of what they thought guys would get paid that off season.  They were somewhat accurate and when they were way off it was because they didn’t predict enough dollars.  They predicted Rendon would get $235 million, he got $245 million.  So, like I said, the Angels gave him the going rate for a player of his caliber heading into free agency.  

Doesn't have anything to do with this. If they were wrong and he's not with it then they were wrong and he's not worth it.

Rendon was not worth $250 M in my opinion.

His value was inflated by a career year and a WS win.

1 minute ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Sure it would. Arte is not adverse to paying money. Obviously. He's adverse to waving the white flag.

Trading Heaney made the team better this year. Easy sell for Minasian to his boss.

Trading Raisel made the team worse this year. Not a thing Arte would be open to.

Trading Watson didn’t make the team better.  Trading Heaney doesn’t make this team better.  Arte will pay a player to go away.  Arte doesn’t just give money to a team like the Yankees or the Dodgers or the Red Sox in an effort to be a better team this year.  Arte knows this team was “selling”.  

1 minute ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Doesn't have anything to do with this. If they were wrong and he's not with it then they were wrong and he's not worth it.

Rendon was not worth $250 M in my opinion.

His value was inflated by a career year and a WS win.

Every single player makes more money because of a career year.  Also your opinion is he is overpaid, that is hindsight.  He got the going rate.  Free agency is expensive.  

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Wait. 

Arte sent cash to the Yankees?

Actually I don’t see it on Cotts.  I wonder if I misremembered and the Yankees only got money in their other deals.  Well now that I think of it, I don’t see the money for the other players on Cotts either.

No one considers the effects of hip problems on defense. Range, mobility, throwing motion, quickness can be weakened by lingering hip problems. It may take time for him to regain his form after surgery and being inactive for a long time. In some cases players over compensate and develop unnatural habits. Both in the field and at the plate.

And it's possible that in his thirties he may decline faster because of complications of accrued injuries. Hopefully he comes back healthy and rested and delivers somewhere close to expectations.

too bad the Angels don't have a high end prospect at the position in the minors. Third base was supposed to be locked up for a half dozen years, so it wasn't a priority. It would have been a great chance for development rather than juggling journeymen or out of position players.

11 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Trading Watson didn’t make the team better.  Trading Heaney doesn’t make this team better.  Arte will pay a player to go away.  Arte doesn’t just give money to a team like the Yankees or the Dodgers or the Red Sox in an effort to be a better team this year.  Arte knows this team was “selling”.  

Nope. As you have said. They should have sold Raisel. They didn't.

Instead they sold Heaney and got better. They sold Watson and got better.

They traded two guys who made no difference for a return that made them better immediately but did not trade players who would have signaled they were giving up on the season even if it made sense because of 

52 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

True. Only has one year of 30+ HR's. 

He's the only guy ever to get $250 M when only having one year with 30 HR's.

That says a lot.

Dude, home runs aren't everything. As of four months ago, Rendon was one of the best players in baseball, with the 3rd highest fWAR and 9th highest wRC+ from 2017-20. And a very good third baseman, to boot. He's struggled for all of 58 games due to what turns out to be a serious injury, and now is out for the year. Let's give the guy some slack. 

54 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

I agree that they should have traded him.  I disagree it was because of Arte’s ego.  If that was true his ego wouldn’t have him paying money to take Heaney.  

It screams 'business decision.' Arte doesn't want to signal to the fan base that the team is throwing in the towel. It's the same reason he doesn't allow his teams to go into rebuild mode.

Ultimately I refuse to believe that Minasian thought that hanging on to Iglesias was in the best interest of the organization because it's so plainly irrational. If that is in fact the case then we are in a lot more trouble than we realize.

17 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Dude, home runs aren't everything. As of four months ago, Rendon was one of the best players in baseball, with the 3rd highest fWAR and 9th highest wRC+ from 2017-20. And a very good third baseman, to boot. He's struggled for all of 58 games due to what turns out to be a serious injury, and now is out for the year. Let's give the guy some slack. 

I just never thought he was a $250 M player and two years in he's proving not to be.

I still think signing Rendon was an over-reaction to Arte being denied by Cole and the Yankees.

50 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Actually I don’t see it on Cotts.  I wonder if I misremembered and the Yankees only got money in their other deals.  Well now that I think of it, I don’t see the money for the other players on Cotts either.

They did send cash to the Yankees. Think that had to be required since they were trying to stay under the CBT upper limit.

7 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

I just never thought he was a $250 M player and two years in he's proving not to be.

I still think signing Rendon was an over-reaction to Arte being denied by Cole and the Yankees.

He was top ten in MVP last year and this year he’s injured. So he’s proved when healthy to be a very valuable player.  

35 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

He was top ten in MVP last year and this year he’s injured. So he’s proved when healthy to be a very valuable player.  

And next time he is on the field he will be the second highest paid player in baseball - behind Mike Trout. (Source: Spotrac)

He is not that. Hell, he's not even the 2nd best third basemen.

Overpaid because of Arte's ego.

Good for him.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/2022/salary/

2 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

And next time he is on the field he will be the second highest paid player in baseball - behind Mike Trout. (Source: Spotrac)

Good for him.

Now do Shohei.

Arte must have a small ego.

32 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Angels fans are barely recovering from the disaster of a contract for Pujols in the last 10 years.  In the beginning it was the same excuse of different injuries but eventually it just turned out that he sucked.  It may not be fair to compare Rendon to Pujols but the similar way of the beginning of their contract is starting is worrying lots of fans including me.  Hopefully he can bounce back next year but chances are his numbers will start declining soon and its just a matter of how much he is going to decline.  And eventually that contract is going to be another drag on the team for several years.

6 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Good for him.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/rankings/2022/salary/

This is such horse shit.  

1 minute ago, rageous said:

Angels fans are barely recovering from the disaster of a contract for Pujols in the last 10 years.  In the beginning it was the same excuse of different injuries but eventually it just turned out that he sucked.  It may not be fair to compare Rendon to Pujols but the similar way of the beginning of their contract is starting is worrying lots of fans including me.  Hopefully he can bounce back next year but chances are his numbers will start declining soon and its just a matter of how much he is going to decline.  And eventually that contract is going to be another drag on the team for several years.

Except it’s no way close to Albert, sorry. 

5 minutes ago, Hells Rainbow said:

Except it’s no way close to Albert, sorry. 

You have no idea if its true or not.

Nobody could have predicted Albert falling off a cliff as soon as he joined the Angels.

And Albert's second year hitting numbers were way better than Rendon's this years number and he was dealing with plantar issues all year too.