• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Halos must BUY, BUY, BUY

Nothing will change the trajectory of the Angels season/future more than having a competent bullpen.  Utterly pointless to wonder about the impact on this season by trading someone of value.  This season's outcome is already determined unless the bullpen roster is radically changed.

52 minutes ago, Blarg said:

In 2019 Barria had a 6.42 era for the Angels in 13 starts and a 9.87 era in SLC. Eppler didn't screw anything up, he demoted a pitcher that was as ineffective as Cahill and only slightly better than Harvey. 

This is true.

In Barria’s defense, he did lose that weight after the 2019 season, and pitched solidly in 2020.

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

Harvey, Cahill, and Stratton were all given spots in the rotation after 21 year old Barria was sent to AAA.  Despite being the teams best pitcher in 2018.  

Even when he was brought up in 2019 thr used him primarily as a reliever.

No!  EPPLER F'D UP THAT ONE.

I think Doug White helped.

2 minutes ago, TheLordofOuts said:

I’m not really sure why so many are wanting to trade Cobb away.  If anything, he’s one of the reasons why the Halos are staying afloat this season.  

Because he's a free agent at the end of the year.  If the Angels aren't going to try to extend him before the trade deadline, then why not try to get something of value for him before he becomes a free agent?  It is highly, highly unlikely that the Angels make it into the playoffs this season--so sell off any assets that have value to other teams.  They can always try to get him back once he becomes a free agent if they desire.

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

Just as an example, the Angels can trade Andrew Heaney and Alex Cobb and still not lose any value in the way of performance by replacing them with Jaime Barria and Reid Detmers. And the return on Cobb and Heaney could simply come in the form of good, controllable relievers. 

I’m as high as anyone with Reid, but to say that he can just jump right in there and be a solid major league pitcher may be a little premature.  Do I think he can do it?  I do. But, why out all that pressure on him? 

11 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

Because he's a free agent at the end of the year.  If the Angels aren't going to try to extend him before the trade deadline, then why not try to get something of value for him before he becomes a free agent?  It is highly, highly unlikely that the Angels make it into the playoffs this season--so sell off any assets that have value to other teams.  They can always try to get him back once he becomes a free agent if they desire.

But very few FAs are traded and then the old team re-signs them.

Plus, if Cobb isn’t back, there’s only two RHP starters (Ohtani and Barria).

CRod still seems to be a year away from joining the rotation for good.

1 minute ago, Angel Oracle said:

Understood on your first point, but it's still theoretically possible.  My larger point is that it's unlikely Cobb is going to make or break the Angels' chance at the post-season this year, given that it's already such a longshot.  If they keep him around, he's still a free agent at the end of the season.  They could do a qualifying offer--but honestly, he'd probably take it if they did--and then they'd be on the hook for ~ $19M and would still only have him for one year.  Not sure that's a great option.  Assuming they're not trying to work out an extension (and there have been no rumors that they are), then I still think trading him before the deadline makes the most sense.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I don't think anyone assumes that we can just sign him back like it's no big deal, and while it doesn't happen often, there's also no reason to think that it cannot happen. 

Cobb liked it here, Cobb got an opportunity to resurrect his career here, he likes Maddon, Maddon likes him, the Angels have a need, the Angels have money. If it's mutual, they have just as much re-signing him as they do extending him, I would imagine, unless he holds a grudge being dealt mid-season.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

In 2019 Barria had a 6.42 era for the Angels in 13 starts and a 9.87 era in SLC. Eppler didn't screw anything up, he demoted a pitcher that was as ineffective as Cahill and only slightly better than Harvey. 

When he first came up in 2019:

After being the best pitcher on the teams staff in 2018.

The angels sign Harvey and  Cahill during the winter.  Barria was supposed to be the 5th starter but right before the start of the season they trade for Stratton.

Eppler preferred Pena, Harvey, Cahill, and Stratton over Barria.

When they eventually called Barria up, they used him in relief four of the first 5 appearances. 

Even then his first 5 starts he gave up 10 earned runs  with a 3.6 ERA.  

Yet they still would use a "opener" and White tried changing his mechanics.   There is a reason why all of our pitchers sucked under White.

This is what I mean by fucking with his head

His 2019 season he had his ERA was 5.52. As a starter (You quoted his total ERA.  I have even argued he doesn't  do well in relief.) No one is denying he had a poor year. They fucked with his head.  

Good coaches create an environment for their players and team succeeds.  White did not create that environment.  White tried changes things.

Edited by stormngt

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

Now let's look at the performances of the guys Eppler did bring in to pitch over Barria

Pena:  4.58 ERA and ERA+ 103

Harvey: 7.09 ERA 67era+  4.3 million

Cahill:  5.98 ERA and 79 ERA+ $1.7 million 

Stratton. 8.59 ERA

Hell yes!  EPPLER F'D up,!

1 hour ago, TheLordofOuts said:

I’m as high as anyone with Reid, but to say that he can just jump right in there and be a solid major league pitcher may be a little premature.  Do I think he can do it?  I do. But, why out all that pressure on him? 

It's not all on Reid, actually. Heaney had a 5.32 ERA, Cobb has a 3.82 ERA, and cumulatively, they have a 4.57 ERA. I believe that together, Reid Detmers and Jaime Barria can recreate a 4.57 ERA or better.