• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Halos must BUY, BUY, BUY

Not like NSync. But, this team is in a position where making aggressive moves for a chance at the post-season is justified.  The team has a decent enough group of starting pitchers in Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Suarez, and you get your occasional brilliance from Heaney.  I liked what I saw from Barria, after giving up 2 solo shots.  He went out to give us 6 innings of zeros after. 

The offense is 6th in the AL, largely without Trout and many key players spending time on the IL.  Trout returns soon and Rendon as well.  At full strength, this is a scary offense. 

What can’t be overstated is the non -effectiveness of the bullpen.  Essentially, Minasian must go directly to the Reliever section of the marketplace and grab us a couple of relievers.  With 2 more effective relievers to go with Raisel, I believe this team can get to the post-season  

Sorry, but they should SELL, SELL, SELL.

They can't beat teams that are over .500, the bullpen is a MASSIVE question mark and who knows when Trout returns.
Not to mention, Rendon is out and Upton is 1 for his last 15 since returning. Seems like the old Upton we remember.

They need to sell Cobb, Heaney, Iglesias and Mayers and call up Detmers, Rodriguez and Adell and let these kids get ready. 

Edited by angelsnationtalk

They should buy sell buy sell buy sell. 

Move Heaney and promote Detmers, move any of Quintana, Bundy, Cobb, or any relievers for anything, really, and move Cobb or Iglesias if overwhelmed.

And buy an arm controlled past this season. Maybe snag a reliever or two, even rentals, because they’re typically cheap. Doesn’t have to be big names, check on Soria, Winkler, Tepera, Britton, Norris.

The whole point of buying is to improve the team, yes? The whole point of selling is to improve the team in the future, right? 

So instead of thinking of it as "buy or sell" instead think of it as, "How do we best improve the team?"

And I believe that answer is simple.

REALLOCATE VALUE

That's really just a fancy way of saying take the surplus good parts and exchange them to help deficits. 

BAD PARTS: The defense, and the bullpen.

GOOD PARTS: Starting pitching and offense. 

So in essence, trade some starting pitching and offense to help the defense and bullpen. 

Just as an example, the Angels can trade Andrew Heaney and Alex Cobb and still not lose any value in the way of performance by replacing them with Jaime Barria and Reid Detmers. And the return on Cobb and Heaney could simply come in the form of good, controllable relievers. 

Then cut ties with Bundy and Quintana and replace them with guys with a little more gas in the tank like Canning and Rodriguez in the bullpen. 

Suddenly, you've added like five good relief pitchers and haven't traded away any value. 

And then as far as the defense in concerned, the Angels don't need to do anything more than wait. Minasian already fixed a lot of it by promoting Marsh and bringing in Eaton. And when Trout eventually returns, that pushed Marsh to a corner, improving them even further. And when Rendon returns, I think we can ask agree Jack Mayfield is a very good defensive player. Put him at utility infielder. 

Suddenly you've got a good defender at every spot on the diamond except LF and even then, Eaton can replaced Upton in the latter innings. 

So my recommendation, is to neither buy, nor sell. Just reallocate.

The Angels should be:

1). Pursuing a high quality starting pitcher that is controllable beyond this year.  This may cost some of the high quality prospects.

2). Pursuing upgrades to the bullpen that can help this year.  This may cost marginal prospects.

3). Monitoring what they can get for expiring contracts players, measuring what they get versus how those players could help win this year.

They can, and should, be active doing all three.

Just make good decisions in each of these categories and the team will be better this year and years to come.

Edited by Dtwncbad

39 minutes ago, totdprods said:

They should buy sell buy sell buy sell. 

Move Heaney and promote Detmers, move any of Quintana, Bundy, Cobb, or any relievers for anything, really, and move Cobb or Iglesias if overwhelmed.

And buy an arm controlled past this season. Maybe snag a reliever or two, even rentals, because they’re typically cheap. Doesn’t have to be big names, check on Soria, Winkler, Tepera, Britton, Norris.

I would keep Cobb and extend him.

Valuable mentoring to a young rotation  plus re-emergence this season

This trade deadline has to be pretty straight forward for the Halos: 

• Can we offer a combination of prospects* and rental pieces in exchange for Quality controlled pitching?  Then make the move.
  • Is someone offering any kind of future value for our rental pieces (Iglesias/ Cobb/ Haney et. al.)?  Make the move and promote the young guys. 
  • Is someone trying to sell a half-decent catcher for a decent price? Maybe pull the trigger. 

Anything else should realistically be off the table. You might be able to argue for some more middle infield depth, but otherwise that's the mission. We don't really have a pressing need for depth, so ageing #4/#5 starters, backup position players, or buy-low relievers are off the table. We need to aim for good pitching (or better), and to extract any value from the guys that are going to walk anyway. 

*Including Adell, but Marsh/Detmers/Kochanowicz/ChrisRod only in the case of a Biebers-level trade. 

2 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Sorry, but they should SELL, SELL, SELL.

They can't beat teams that are over .500, the bullpen is a MASSIVE question mark and who knows when Trout returns.
Not to mention, Rendon is out and Upton is 1 for his last 15 since returning. Seems like the old Upton we remember.

They need to sell Cobb, Heaney, Iglesias and Mayers and call up Detmers, Rodriguez and Adell and let these kids get ready. 

Of all those mentioned to trade only Iglesias would hurt our chances this year.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

The whole point of buying is to improve the team, yes? The whole point of selling is to improve the team in the future, right? 

So instead of thinking of it as "buy or sell" instead think of it as, "How do we best improve the team?"

And I believe that answer is simple.

REALLOCATE VALUE

That's really just a fancy way of saying take the surplus good parts and exchange them to help deficits. 

BAD PARTS: The defense, and the bullpen.

GOOD PARTS: Starting pitching and offense. 

So in essence, trade some starting pitching and offense to help the defense and bullpen. 

Just as an example, the Angels can trade Andrew Heaney and Alex Cobb and still not lose any value in the way of performance by replacing them with Jaime Barria and Reid Detmers. And the return on Cobb and Heaney could simply come in the form of good, controllable relievers. 

Then cut ties with Bundy and Quintana and replace them with guys with a little more gas in the tank like Canning and Rodriguez in the bullpen. 

Suddenly, you've added like five good relief pitchers and haven't traded away any value. 

And then as far as the defense in concerned, the Angels don't need to do anything more than wait. Minasian already fixed a lot of it by promoting Marsh and bringing in Eaton. And when Trout eventually returns, that pushed Marsh to a corner, improving them even further. And when Rendon returns, I think we can ask agree Jack Mayfield is a very good defensive player. Put him at utility infielder. 

Suddenly you've got a good defender at every spot on the diamond except LF and even then, Eaton can replaced Upton in the latter innings. 

So my recommendation, is to neither buy, nor sell. Just reallocate.

Whoever thought people would say this year that starting pitching is a "good part".

That's because they dumped the underachieving vets and went to youth movement. 

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Whoever thought people would say this year that starting pitching is a "good part".

That's because they dumped the underachieving vets and went to youth movement. 

Eppler did the same thing with Harvey, Cahill and Stratton.

There just weren't others ready to step up. Looks like there are now.

3 minutes ago, Angels Fan Forever said:

Eppler did the same thing with Harvey, Cahill and Stratton.

There just weren't others ready to step up. Looks like there are now.

Harvey, Cahill, and Stratton were all given spots in the rotation after 21 year old Barria was sent to AAA.  Despite being the teams best pitcher in 2018.  

Even when he was brought up in 2019 thr used him primarily as a reliever.

No!  EPPLER F'D UP THAT ONE.

34 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Harvey, Cahill, and Stratton were all given spots in the rotation after 21 year old Barria was sent to AAA.  Despite being the teams best pitcher in 2018.  

I know you love to talk about Barria but my reply to you had nothing to do with him. 

You pointed out that this year Minasian has "dumped underachieving vets and went to youth movement". So yeah, Bundy, Quintana to the BP and Sandoval and Suarez have stepped up.

I pointed out that Eppler did the same thing in 2019. Harvey, Cahill and Stratton out of the rotation but the replacements didn't step up - Suarez, Sandoval, Peters and even Canning although he showed promise in some of his starts before he shut it down with injury.

My comment was about the timing. Eppler's plan was in place in 2019 but it was a couple of years away - Suarez was 21, Sandoval was 22. Minasian has inherited those guys and is benefiting from Eppler's moves. It's how it works.

So let's talk about Barria. His was a different situation in 2019. He was't an underachieving vet. He was an underachieving 2nd year player. He had a great rookie season and came into 2019 camp 30 pounds heavier and out of shape. He sucked and lost his spot in the rotation just like the underachieving vets.

17 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Even when he was brought up in 2019 thr used him primarily as a reliever.

No!  EPPLER F'D UP THAT ONE.

In 2019 Barria had a 6.42 era for the Angels in 13 starts and a 9.87 era in SLC. Eppler didn't screw anything up, he demoted a pitcher that was as ineffective as Cahill and only slightly better than Harvey. 

3 hours ago, TheLordofOuts said:

Not like NSync. But, this team is in a position where making aggressive moves for a chance at the post-season is justified.  The team has a decent enough group of starting pitchers in Ohtani, Cobb, Sandoval, Suarez, and you get your occasional brilliance from Heaney.  I liked what I saw from Barria, after giving up 2 solo shots.  He went out to give us 6 innings of zeros after. 

The offense is 6th in the AL, largely without Trout and many key players spending time on the IL.  Trout returns soon and Rendon as well.  At full strength, this is a scary offense. 

What can’t be overstated is the non -effectiveness of the bullpen.  Essentially, Minasian must go directly to the Reliever section of the marketplace and grab us a couple of relievers.  With 2 more effective relievers to go with Raisel, I believe this team can get to the post-season  

I love optimism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!