• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani Silver Slugger

Just now, Jason said:

Yeah I get that but what if his offensive numbers on days he pitches is better than all the NL pitchers? Seems like that should count. 

I just don't see the need to create a new award that would only apply to one guy (meaning, basically no one else could realistically win it).  I think it would be just as pointless as giving a NL Silver Slugger award for the best DH in interleague play.  Actually, now that I'm typing that, I think it would be MORE pointless than that.

18 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

I just don't see the need to create a new award that would only apply to one guy (meaning, basically no one else could realistically win it).  I think it would be just as pointless as giving a NL Silver Slugger award for the best DH in interleague play.  Actually, now that I'm typing that, I think it would be MORE pointless than that.

What Ohtani is doing is unheard of and he should be rewarded for it. There is no reason or rule that says other pitchers can’t do this. Maybe this starts a trend in the AL

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

What Ohtani is doing is unheard of and he should be rewarded for it. There is no reason or rule that says other pitchers can’t do this. Maybe this starts a trend in the AL

But, again, he can be "rewarded" for it by winning the already-established DH Silver Slugger.  You're correct that there's no "rule" that says other pitchers can't do it--but they don't, so it just seems silly to create an award that literally only one guy could possibly get.

(And lest anyone jump on me or misinterpret what I'm saying here, I'm not slamming Ohtani in any way, shape, or form.)

8 minutes ago, jsnpritchett said:

But, again, he can be "rewarded" for it by winning the already-established DH Silver Slugger.  You're correct that there's no "rule" that says other pitchers can't do it--but they don't, so it just seems silly to create an award that literally only one guy could possibly get.

(And lest anyone jump on me or misinterpret what I'm saying here, I'm not slamming Ohtani in any way, shape, or form.)

If I’m not mistaken the silver slugger is awarded to the best offensive player at each position. Pitcher is a position but pitchers rarely bat in the AL so traditionally they aren’t an offensive position. Ohtani is used just like an NL pitcher so it’s far from the ordinary for the AL. He’s the only pitcher in the AL that has legitimate offensive numbers not including DH. I understand your point and it makes sense but at the end of the year we are going to have an AL pitcher with very strong offensive numbers and possibly break records for MLB pitchers as a whole. 

6 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Why would they create a new award. Where does it say the silver slugger for pitching has to go to a NL pitcher?

2 minutes ago, happybat4 said:

Why would they create a new award. Where does it say the silver slugger for pitching has to go to a NL pitcher?

I continue to be baffled by some of you in this thread. There are separate Silver Slugger awards in each league. In NL games, pitchers hit, so that position is a category within the Silver Slugger awards. In the AL, that position is replaced by the DH, so the pitcher Silver Slugger award doesn't exist in the AL. 

11 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

You just beat me to it. This is one of the most frustrating threads on here in a while, and that's saying something...

Wait, so you're saying that they won't change the format of the Silver Slugger awards for Ohtani, or they might?

12 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It probably makes him feel smart. It's like watching My 600 Pound Life to feel better about your weight or Vanderpump Rules to feel better about your relationship choices.

No offense, @Dtwncbad

I’m going to assume your wife chooses to watch Vanderpump Rules and you just get stuck dealing with it.