• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Joe Maddon still hopeful rested Angels starters can reach higher pitch counts

OAKLAND — When the Angels decided to go with a six-man rotation this season, one of the benefits that Joe Maddon hoped they would realize was that the extra rest would allow their starters to throw more pitches in a game.

At this point, that has not been the case.

The Angels have had a starter throw 100 pitches seven times, which is tied for 11th among American League teams. The comparison with National League teams isn’t as relevant because NL pitchers sometimes are pulled early because their spot comes up in the batting order.

Of course, the decision to pull a pitcher is dictated by his performance more than the pitch count, and in that respect the pitchers – not Maddon – have been responsible for their early exits.

A look at the games in which a starter is pitching effectively, yet still comes out shy of 100 pitches, shows the Angels are in line with the rest of the majors.

There have been 21 games this season in which an Angels starter was pulled shy of 100 pitches after pitching five innings and being charged with two runs or fewer.

That is tied for 22nd in the majors.

The first-place Oakland A’s have done it 32 times. They are the only AL team among the top six.

Andrew Heaney was in line for just such a start Tuesday night, when Maddon pulled him after his 98th pitch when he gave up a leadoff single in the sixth. Heaney had allowed just two runs, although the runner he left on base would be charged as his third run.

Maddon said Wednesday he was concerned because Heaney was nearing the 100-pitch level after just five innings.

Maddon said he still believes Angels starters will not only pitch better, but get deeper into games, because their workload has been limited so far.

“I’m not giving up on it,” Maddon said. “I’m not giving up on the concept. It just hasn’t played out that way yet. But I think overall, maybe some guys to this point have not performed at the level that we thought they would, but I think we’re starting to see that they are going in that direction.”

RENDON UPDATE

Maddon said Anthony Rendon could return to the lineup as soon as Thursday, but more likely by Friday. Rendon suffered a strained triceps muscle diving for a ball Monday night.

“He’s doing really well,” Maddon said Wednesday. “What I understand, as of right now, he should be playing against Detroit. I don’t know if tomorrow. If not tomorrow, maybe the next day for sure.”

Rendon’s status will have an impact on whether the Angels have Shohei Ohtani hit for himself when he’s pitching Thursday.

If Rendon is unable to play, the Angels would have only two pinch-hitters. When Ohtani hits for himself, the Angels forfeit the use of the DH, so they need pinch-hitters for their pitchers after Ohtani is out of the game.

YOUTUBE GAME

The Angels’ game Thursday will be aired on YouTube, with no blackouts.

Matt Vasgersian, Mark Gubicza, Rajai Davis and Alex Curry will handle the broadcast. The game will include in-game interviews.

UP NEXT

Angels (RHP Shohei Ohtani, 2-1, 2.85 ERA) vs. Tigers (RHP Matt Manning, MLB debut), 6:38 p.m. Thursday, YouTube, 830 AM

View the full article

8 hours ago, jsnpritchett said:

Same guy who wrote that article says this b.s.:

With all due respect to Jeff Fletcher, this is an abuse of an analytics created scenario that can never be changed because a pitcher isn't allowed to have a less than perfect outing. 

No pitcher can throw shut outs every game. Unless they are really getting curb stomped there is no justification for not allowing them to rise above adversity because data compiled of every other shitty outing recorded across the league says this pitcher cannot play better than that. That Canning, at 69 pitches couldn't come out for the 6th and recorded a clean frame.

Its why baseball sucks ass these days. Data is the helicopter mom of the game. 

And, because there is aways one more thing to say, if you are yanking your starter after 69 pitches because of feels and data, you can't sit there like Nero and watch Watson torch the game. Its fucking the team over because Maddon can't admit he made a bad decision and won't budge even though he is throwing the game away. 

Watson pitched poorly.  He was pitching poorly after the first few batters.  

Let's give Maddon the benefit of the doubt on Canning.  Fine.  Then he watches Watson burn the game to the ground when he clearly didn't have it.  He didn't even get an out.  Yet the hook somehow went into his back pocket.  

Make one decision using one set of logic and then the next decision using a completely different set of logic.  

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

With all due respect to Jeff Fletcher, this is an abuse of an analytics created scenario that can never be changed because a pitcher isn't allowed to have a less than perfect outing. 

No pitcher can throw shut outs every game. Unless they are really getting curb stomped there is no justification for not allowing them to rise above adversity because data compiled of every other shitty outing recorded across the league says this pitcher cannot play better than that. That Canning, at 69 pitches couldn't come out for the 6th and recorded a clean frame.

Its why baseball sucks ass these days. Data is the helicopter mom of the game. 

Yep, pretty much agree with everything you said!

12 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Watson pitched poorly.  He was pitching poorly after the first few batters.  

Let's give Maddon the benefit of the doubt on Canning.  Fine.  Then he watches Watson burn the game to the ground when he clearly didn't have it.  He didn't even get an out.  Yet the hook somehow went into his back pocket.  

Make one decision using one set of logic and then the next decision using a completely different set of logic.  

Good weed when taking Canning out, and bad weed while Watson was imploding?

On 6/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, Chuckster70 said:

I'm confused. I mean, he takes starting pitchers out of the game well ahead of 100 pitches, yet is saying he's still hopeful rested Angels starters can reach higher pitch counts.

Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN 

I think I've got it figured out... if he rests the starters by taking them out early, he can keep them in...