• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

David Fletcher the table setter?

Chuck

not GIF

So who broke David Fletcher? Two walks across 16 games with a limp .509 OPS out of the leadoff spot. That's not ideal for a table setter. It would have been nice if he was on base for one of those Ohtani, Trout & Upton HR's yesterday.

Thankfully he's still solid on defense with three defensive runs saved, but damn he better pick it up with the bat soon & lay off those high pitches that he's popping up on trying to go to RF. It would be nice if he could work in a walk or two in some of these games. 

40 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He is seeing less pitches and it feels as though he is being challenged more by pitchers and he so far is losing those battles.  

They're also positioning themselves defensively against him well. 

My point is, he needs to start laying off those high pitches and try working in a walk here and there. Two walks through 16 games from your table setter is grotesque. 

Since Fletcher and even Iglesias are high contact, low strikeout, low walks type guys why not go with a lineup like this?

3B Rendon
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
1B Walsh
LF Upton
2B Fletcher
SS Iglesias
RF Schebler/Lagares/Marsh?
C Suzkui

Rendon led off for the Nationals quite a bit a few years back because of his ability to draw walks and get on base. Fletcher and Iglesias put the ball in play. Both hitters hit over. 300 last year. That will bode well for RBI opportunities. 

2 minutes ago, True Grich said:

This forum has more mood swings than a woman going through menopause.

There is nothing in this post that would suggest a change in mood. Fletcher's slow start could be just that. It also may not be as pitchers have figured him out and defenses are aligned in response to his spray chart. 

The lack of walks is a concern, but it's forgiven if he hits over .300 and knocks in runs. 

Remember. This is a discussion forum and this is a topic to discuss. 

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Rendon has batted leadoff only 36 times in his career. Here are his numbers: 

.260 BA 

.323/ .384/ .707  

Can we please stop the crazy? 

Rendon and Trout have the highest OBP on the team and get on base. 

Fletcher and Iglesias are high contact guys. 

There's absolutely nothing crazy to suggest a change in the order would benefit the team until Fletcher can make an adjustment to those defensive alignments and what pitchers are doing with him in the batters box. 

2 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Rendon and Trout have the highest OBP on the team and get on base. 

Fletcher and Iglesias are high contact guys. 

There's absolutely nothing crazy to suggest a change in the order would benefit the team until Fletcher can make an adjustment to those defensive alignments and what pitchers are doing with him in the batters box. 

Look what I added to my post. 

I didn't suggest moving Fletcher down in the order was crazy. I said having Rendon batting first is. 

20 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Since Fletcher and even Iglesias are high contact, low strikeout, low walks type guys why not go with a lineup like this?

3B Rendon
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
1B Walsh
LF Upton
2B Fletcher
SS Iglesias
C Suzkui

Rendon led off for the Nationals quite a bit a few years back because of his ability to draw walks and get on base. Fletcher and Iglesias put the ball in play. Both hitters hit over. 300 last year. That will bode well for RBI opportunities. 

I guess it wouldn't hurt, especially if Walsh is still hitting well once Rendon gets back. Maybe Fletcher is putting a little too much pressure on himself right now and dropping in the order may help that. Walsh is still young enough to where his consistency is going to be an issue. His upside as the clean up hitter is huge though  

Honestly unless there's RISP or there's two strikes trying to protect, if Fletcher lays off those pitches up in the zone and demonstrates a bit more patience, it will bode well for him getting on base and ultimately see his BA and OBP shoot up which will benefit our offense immensely. 

Just now, Angel Oracle said:

So, who is the most logical at this time to bat leadoff?

Ohtani is as fast as anybody on the team, but does him leading off take away run production from him?

With Fletcher under performing, there isn't another guy on the roster that is ideal for that role. I can see some experimenting with that spot happening if Fletcher doesn't turn things around. 

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

With Fletcher under performing, there isn't another guy on the roster that is ideal for that role. I can see some experimenting with that spot happening if Fletcher doesn't turn things around. 

While it's way to early for this, I believe Brandon Marsh with his speed and ability to take a walk and get on base (.368 OBP -career in the minors) he could be an option to lead off down the road. 

Look, I get you guys are wanting to squeeze as many runs out as possible but in the case of Fletcher his career numbers point to his OBP being about 60+ points higher than his batting average. That follows him through his minor league career.

He has not forgotten how to take a walk, it's just a slow start. Had this taken place in July his year to date numbers would mask a drop off but the first 16 games every plate appearance creates more of a shift, positive or negative.

By mid May you guys will forget he was ever in a slump and chase some other under performing player. Until then try and hold your water. 

From my own observation, he's hitting the ball too hard in the air right now. Lots of high line drives right at the CF and RF. The last couple years, we saw more low liners. That and pitchers aren't pitching him up in the zone anymore because he's shown what he does to high pitches. I also think Angels fans had unrealistic expectations. In his minor league career, he never had a high BB%, and after last season, fans thought he had developed into a high OBP player. 

The truth is, Fletcher will adjust, but he's going to be much more of a .280/.320 hitter that can be a gold glover at 2B and 3B, and is particularly well-liked in the clubhouse. 

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Has saved 3 defensive runs.  

How many offensive runs has he cost so far, not hitting at all in front of Ohtani, Trout, Walsh, and Upton?

What is suddenly causing him to chase pitches out of the zone?

New Contract pressure?

He’s chasing at the same rate as prior years, but making contact more often, likely producing poorer solid contact.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

3B Rendon
DH Ohtani
CF Trout
1B Walsh
LF Upton
2B Fletcher
SS Iglesias
C Suzkui

I was thinking this same exact thing yesterday, but figured it’d catch major ridicule here.. but really, who better to choose to get on base right now (not named Trout).

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

From my own observation, he's hitting the ball too hard in the air right now. Lots of high line drives right at the CF and RF. The last couple years, we saw more low liners. That and pitchers aren't pitching him up in the zone anymore because he's shown what he does to high pitches. I also think Angels fans had unrealistic expectations. In his minor league career, he never had a high BB%, and after last season, fans thought he had developed into a high OBP player. 

The truth is, Fletcher will adjust, but he's going to be much more of a .280/.320 hitter that can be a gold glover at 2B and 3B, and is particularly well-liked in the clubhouse. 

Your observations are correct. His fly ball % + pop up % are about 2x what they were last year (though not as drastic to ‘19 - 1.3x). Last year, his hard hit GB’s were unreal though.