• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Is this the year we need to buy aggressively at the deadline?

mmc

Should the Angels be aggressive buyers at the deadline?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Should the Angels be aggressive buyers at the deadline?

• Yes, they should be willing to move multiple top prospects to win now
    • They should buy, but hold the top prospects and focus on lesser players who are cheaper to acquire
    • The Angels should stand pat with the current group and continue building internally

We have sold or stood pat every year under Eppler, outside of the second deadline in 2017 when we got Phillips and Upton.  I remember in the offseason, a lot of people felt that this was the year we needed to be aggressive with our offseason moves as the AL West was relatively wide open for us to do some damage.  Fast forward to today (which of course is still over 3 months before the deadline), and it’s looking like the AL West might even be closer than we thought in the offseason.  Oakland is on fire after their awful start, the Angels have had their best start in years, the Mariners have been outstanding (are they a young team ready to break out, or is this a fluke?), Houston remains a threat despite not being what they were before, and Texas, while still not being a good team by any means, is also starting out better than many people would’ve expected.  I do think our team has a good a shot as any to win the West, however Trout will turn 30 by the end of the season, and I believe that now is the time to elevate from having “as good a shot as any team” to being the favorites.  

This is why I think now is the time to buy aggressively, and there are many players out there who I think can help the team win.  I also fully expect the Astros, and likely the A’s as well to be buyers if they remain in striking distance of the AL West (not convinced Texas or Seattle would be ready to buy even if they remain in the race).

Do you think it’s time for the team to go all in to get to the next level, or should we stay the course and keep building from within?

Wait until Pujols is gone, frees up 1B for Walsh and 30MM to acquire a true lead-off hitter, SP and a closer.  I don't expect much from this team currently, I hope they change my mind.  The offense is good but not great yet.  We also need Adell, Ward or Marsh to come through by next year.

Next season is truly the all-in year, no ifs ands or buts about it.

18 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Far too early to tell. At least wait til the minors get a month in to see how our capital is looking. 

Yes, and to see where the major league team stands. Right now baseball has a lot of parity, and no one has really separated themselves from the pack in any division except the NL West. Two months from now the Angels could be sitting pretty with a 5+ game lead, or they could be struggling with two or three other AL West teams for the top two spots, or they could be basement dwellers. I'd bet on the middle option, but I wouldn't be surprised at either the first or third.

If the first, you look at your weak spots and trade second tier prospects and/or younger players to fill those needs.

If the middle, as above, but you're less aggressive.

If the last, you trade away two or three of Bundy, Heaney, Cobb and Quintana, and stock up on prospects.

I think it still to early to determine who will be buyers and who will sell. 

I'm not sure the Astros will be a contender this year. They barely made it last year.

Oakland is the real threat and will most like be a 90+ win team.

Seattle, I think they are about a year or two away.

Now this where I stand. Let say we are a playoff team,  Basically would you sell the farm to get another top of the rotation arm or still back they playoff but spend on next year's free agent market? 

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Far too early to tell. At least wait til the minors get a month in to see how our capital is looking. 

Is it though?  If we aren't going all in while Trout is still in his 20s, when will we?

1 hour ago, sammyscioscia said:

Wait until Pujols is gone, frees up 1B for Walsh and 30MM to acquire a true lead-off hitter, SP and a closer.  I don't expect much from this team currently, I hope they change my mind.  The offense is good but not great yet.  We also need Adell, Ward or Marsh to come through by next year.

Next season is truly the all-in year, no ifs ands or buts about it.

you don't think Fletcher is a true leadoff hitter?  If not, who in your mind is a true leadoff hitter that will be available, also what position will this true leadoff hitter play?  To me the only spots that will be available will be SS and Catcher.    Also $30 million isn't going to go far when you have virtually no starting pitchers outside of Canning, Barria and Sandoval after this season.  

I would only go “all in” on a trade for a guy like Max Scherzer, and even then he is a free agent at the end of the year so “all in” would probably still not cost us more than Adams and even that is an overpay for 2 months of Scherzer.  

28 minutes ago, Stradling said:

you don't think Fletcher is a true leadoff hitter?  If not, who in your mind is a true leadoff hitter that will be available, also what position will this true leadoff hitter play?  To me the only spots that will be available will be SS and Catcher.    Also $30 million isn't going to go far when you have virtually no starting pitchers outside of Canning, Barria and Sandoval after this season.  

I don't know, true lead-off hitters are hard to come by these days.  Fletcher needs to prove he can get on base like before, otherwise we're going to continue hitting solo homers.

3 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

I don't know, true lead-off hitters are hard to come by these days.  Fletcher needs to prove he can get on base like before, otherwise we're going to continue hitting solo homers.

Ok.  So we need a SS or a catcher that leads off.  That lead off hitting SS or catcher needs to be better than Fletcher at leading off.  Just a hunch that will be tough to find.

I don't think this is how Minasian works.  He has stated that he is an opportunist which means a trade can happen at any time and not necessarily for a specific purpose, other than making the team better.  I don't think Minasian makes any trades for the purpose of filling specific holes.  There are too many at this point.

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Ok.  So we need a SS or a catcher that leads off.  That lead off hitting SS or catcher needs to be better than Fletcher at leading off.  Just a hunch that will be tough to find.

Rendon might be a viable option, Rengifo won't get enough opportunities with Rendon returning to prove himself, I am also doubtful he is that guy regardless.  So currently as it stands, I would lead off with Rendon, then Trout 2, Ohtani 3, Walsh 4. etc. I know it looks weird but you got your best OBP guys leading off with the best opportunity to score, Trout really isn't an RBI guy.

Just now, sammyscioscia said:

Rendon might be a viable option, Rengifo won't get enough opportunities with him returning to prove himself, I am also doubtful he is that guy regardless.  So currently as it stands, I would lead off with Rendon, then Trout 2, Ohtani 3, Walsh 4. etc. I know it looks weird but you got your best OBP guys leading off with the best opportunity to score, Trout really isn't an RBI guy.

I can say with 100% confidence that Rendon will never be the leadoff hitter.

3 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

Rendon might be a viable option, Rengifo won't get enough opportunities with Rendon returning to prove himself, I am also doubtful he is that guy regardless.  So currently as it stands, I would lead off with Rendon, then Trout 2, Ohtani 3, Walsh 4. etc. I know it looks weird but you got your best OBP guys leading off with the best opportunity to score, Trout really isn't an RBI guy.

Ok, you are just saying dumb stuff now.  Trout in his last 162 games has something like 135 RBI.  So he is an RBI guy, despite your ignorance.

17 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

Fletcher is starting to make better contact so hopefully he gets it into gear. It’s a little to early to be overly concerned