• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Ohtani

25 minutes ago, ScottT said:

I really don't get the mid rotation thing.  Were the 10 starts in 2018 a fluke?   

To be a front line, TOR arm, it's not enough to have the stuff, you have to put up big innings. That would be my guess as to what he's saying. Someone else can correct me if I'm off, though.

I think my biggest concern with Ohtani is not going to be the talent - that is unquestionably there in spades - it's the health. It's a massive strain on the body to pitch full time. Adding in semi-full time hitting and you've got a recipe for an injury prone player. I'm just not sure too many guys can have that kind of physical output and not struggle with staying healthy. I hope he's the exception.

3 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

I still think Ohtani should hit on the same day he pitches every once in a while, since his body rotation cancels out.  What do you guys think about that?  It'll get him prepared for the days he pitches against the NL during away games.

No.

33 minutes ago, sammyscioscia said:

I still think Ohtani should hit on the same day he pitches every once in a while in the AL, since his body rotation cancels out.  What do you guys think about that?  It'll keep him prepared for the days he pitches/hits NL away games.  And gives him more ABs overall.

In the playoffs?  Or a playoff race?   I can see it happening.   

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

To be a front line, TOR arm, it's not enough to have the stuff, you have to put up big innings. That would be my guess as to what he's saying. Someone else can correct me if I'm off, though.

I think my biggest concern with Ohtani is not going to be the talent - that is unquestionably there in spades - it's the health. It's a massive strain on the body to pitch full time. Adding in semi-full time hitting and you've got a recipe for an injury prone player. I'm just not sure too many guys can have that kind of physical output and not struggle with staying healthy. I hope he's the exception.

Mid rotation was the term used. His results in 2018 were not mid rotation quality.  It was borderline all star level.  A 3.31 ERA would have ranked 8th in the AL.  H/9 would've ranked 4th.    K/9 would've ranked 4th or 5th.  A mid rotation guy won't be your first or second starter in the playoffs given you are able to set your rotation.  If Ohtani is healthy and doesn't need to pitch the last couple games to get the Angels into the playoffs.  He's pitching first or second. 

I also think he can get through a lineup more than twice. 

7 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Mid rotation was the term used. His results in 2018 were not mid rotation quality.  It was borderline all star level.  A 3.31 ERA would have ranked 8th in the AL.  H/9 would've ranked 4th.    K/9 would've ranked 4th or 5th.  A mid rotation guy won't be your first or second starter in the playoffs given you are able to set your rotation.  If Ohtani is healthy and doesn't need to pitch the last couple games to get the Angels into the playoffs.  He's pitching first or second. 

I also think he can get through a lineup more than twice. 

Not the point I was making. A front line guy presumably would be someone who might be a CY candidate. Regardless of how good Ohtani's results are, if he only throws 80% as many pitches as other top pitchers, that puts his value (WAR) comparable to a guy who throws more innings with lower quality).

For a loose comparison, it might be slightly similar to a guy like Rich Hill, who has put up really good quality innings, but with a limited quantity. Is he a front line starter or a mid-rotation type? Compare him with Andrew Heaney in 2018. Heaney put up 2.9 fWAR (1.6 bWAR) that year because he pitched 180 innings, but his ERA was a just okay 4.15. Hill, meanwhile, with a 3.66 ERA, only managed 1.7 fWAR (also 1.6 bWAR) because he only threw 132 innings. Heaney's ERA+ that year was 101 while Hill's was 106.

Point is, innings matter too, and Ohtani is not expected to put up the kind of innings you'd expect from a front line starter.

That's my understanding of what was being said above. I may be wrong, but that's the only way it makes sense to me.

15 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Only point I'm making is the use of the term "mid rotation" by a scout...  is silly.

I think it's fair to differentiate between value and stuff. When you said earlier that a mid-rotation starter wouldn't pitch game 1 of a playoff series while Ohtani would, I agree. I'm sure he would too.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I tried to get tickets for @Tank, but he said he wont watch anything that isnt in the iron eagle franchise 

The Iron Eagle soundtrack was my absolute favorite album when I was a little kid. I listened to it again a couple of months ago for the first time in 25+ years... it holds up really well.

I listened to it on YouTube, as I no longer have the cassette, nor my boom box. (Or "ghetto blaster," which I still find hard to believe was a term we used.)

9 minutes ago, Justin said:

The Iron Eagle soundtrack was my absolute favorite album when I was a little kid. I listened to it again a couple of months ago for the first time in 25+ years... it holds up really well.

I listened to it on YouTube, as I no longer have the cassette, nor my boom box. (Or "ghetto blaster," which I still find hard to believe was a term we used.)

Ask @Tank, he stilhehas the cassette he bought from sam goody

On 3/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, ScottT said:

It was 484 feet.  It was a bit windier that day, though.

My mistake. That is impressive especially as a 20-year old. But Ohtani has crushed the ball. 

Another example: based on the notifications I was getting I thought Carlos Carrasco scaled Mt. Everest today. He strained his hamstring and will be out a couple weeks. Yet it was all I saw everywhere.