• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Giants @ Angels (03/11/2021)

I feel this just might be the starting line up on Opening Day.  Aside from Benboom, who might be replaced by Stassi, this very well could be the line up.

I like the balance, and moving Albert to the 6 slot makes sense.

For anyone who is going today, enjoy the game. 

Edited by PattyD22

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I wouldn't mind the batting order looking like this:

Fletcher 2B
Iglesias SS
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Rendon 3B
Upton LF
Walsh 1B
Stassi C
Fowler RF

I think this is a lethal lineup 

I agree with you.  Iglesias has shown good plate awareness and would be a good 2 slot hitter.  Fowler as a switch hitter adds flexibility though, but whiffs a lot.  I like your line up though.

14 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I wouldn't mind the batting order looking like this:

Fletcher 2B
Iglesias SS
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Rendon 3B
Upton LF
Walsh 1B
Stassi C
Fowler RF

I think this is a lethal lineup 

Or i'd be okay with this:

Fletcher 2B
Iglesias SS
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Rendon 3B
Upton LF
Walsh 1B
Stassi C
Lagares RF

Adding Lagares brings elite defense and his bat has been red hot this Spring. If anything, he's earned the roster spot.

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher 2B
Iglesias SS
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Rendon 3B
Upton LF
Walsh 1B
Stassi C
Lagares RF

Adding Lagares brings elite defense and his bat has been red hot this Spring. If anything, he's earned the roster spot.

I’d agree with that, he has.  Fowler has the familiarity edge with Maddon, I’m not sure how far that will go though.  Lagares has been one of several pleasant surprises this Spring so far.  

Edited by PattyD22

I am betting that Walsh is the starting 1B on opening day.  This organization owes nothing to Pujols except a graceful exit.  I think it is obvious to the casual observer that Walsh brings more to the team than Pujols.  I hear the bs about respecting Pujols, I think that Pujols should respect the reality of his situation that the Angels may finally have a player better than him to play 1B.

Baseball Reference has Albert projected to get 475 plate appearances this year.

Please, no! Walsh is ready, willing, and more than able to get the majority of starts at 1B.

By the way, one more GIDP for Albert to hit 400. And his career BA is a solid .299. Looks like he won't make it to .300 after all.

WAR is 100.7. His WAR last year was -0.1. Let him play three more years to see if Trout can catch him.

26 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Please, no! Walsh is ready, willing, and more than able to get the majority of starts at 1B.

By the way, one more GIDP for Albert to hit 400. And his career BA is a solid .299. Looks like he won't make it to .300 after all.

WAR is 100.7. His WAR last year was -0.1. Let him play three more years to see if Trout can catch him.

Why in the blank would a 41-43 year old declining since 2013 get anywhere nears 475 PAs?

Even Mays by then only played part-time.

1 hour ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Fletcher 2B
Iglesias SS
Trout CF
Ohtani DH
Rendon 3B
Upton LF
Walsh 1B
Stassi C
Lagares RF

I would want Rendon's .400 OBP coming up in the first inning:

Fletcher; Trout; Rendon; Ohtani; Walsh; Upton; Stassi; Lagares; Iglesias

And when Ohtani is pitching:

Fletcher; Trout; Rendon; Walsh; Upton; Pujols; Lagares; Suzuki; Iglesias

1 hour ago, eligrba said:

I am betting that Walsh is the starting 1B on opening day.  This organization owes nothing to Pujols except a graceful exit.  I think it is obvious to the casual observer that Walsh brings more to the team than Pujols.  I hear the bs about respecting Pujols, I think that Pujols should respect the reality of his situation that the Angels may finally have a player better than him to play 1B.

Unfortunately, I think Arte is just a man of his word, and he will honor Pujols as well as the final year of his contract.  Otherwise, if he truly wanted to win now, he'd just release Albert to open up the roster spot.  God, does anyone have ANY fond memories of Pujols over these last ten years (I did see him shot a fake bow and arrow at Rodney once)?

Pujols is going to get the opening day nod, but I'm guessing Walsh gets the bulk of the playing time so I'm okay with the veteran getting the nod on OD. 

Here's my lineup..

SS Fletcher

CF Trout

DH Ohtani

3B Rendon

LF Upton

1B Walsh

SS Iglesias (I want this guy in RBI spots, considered batting him above Walsh even)

RF Fowler

C Stassi 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

while Daniel has only pitched the one inning so far, we're sure seeing his name on those lineup cards quite a bit.  That's interesting.  

If I'm the Angels I'm tasking all of their pitching prospects that are questionable starters based on missing a third pitch or solid offspeed offering to audition for a spot in the bullpen.

If you have a solid fastball and a good change, splitter or wipeout slider/curve let's see what you got... we got an opening on the big league roster for you! 

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

while Daniel has only pitched the one inning so far, we're sure seeing his name on those lineup cards quite a bit.  That's interesting.  

I think he's been on the lineup card a lot because he's one of the guys who they have in the bullpen ready to throw if a pitcher scheduled to pitch implodes and they need innings.

I believe Daniel was a bit of a pure reliever at times in college, which would make him a more natural fit to come out of the bullpen to log innings for ST games if needed rather than a guy like Detmers or Rodriguez who are on starter's schedules.

48 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Pujols is going to get the opening day nod, but I'm guessing Walsh gets the bulk of the playing time so I'm okay with the veteran getting the nod on OD. 

Personally, I'm not OK with Pujols getting the opening day nod.

With the exception of giving guys the occasional rest day, they need to put their best lineup on the field. Assuming it's Giolito or Lynn (RHP's), and not Keuchel (LHP), starting on Opening Day, Walsh is the better option at 1B over Pujols.

It's the first game of the season, so it's not like putting Pujols in gives Walsh rest.

On the topic of Angels lineups, I find it interesting that the bottom of the order is Fowler, Catcher, and Iglesias.

I would've thought that Maddon would bat Fowler 9th as a back of the order sort of leadoff hitter" since he used Fowler as a leadoff hitter in Chicago. Also, with the way Iglesias has swung the bat so far, I'd want to give Iglesias more AB's than Fowler. But Maddon's gonna Maddon.

6 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I believe Daniel was a bit of a pure reliever at times in college, which would make him a more natural fit to come out of the bullpen to log innings for ST games if needed rather than a guy like Detmers or Rodriguez who are on starter's schedules.

Nope, 27 of his 37 appearances at Auburn were as a starter. 

I think the reason he's being listed often is that they are desperate to see him in action.  His first professional pitch came in a ST game, the Angels drafted him after he had TJ surgery, (and after a dominant showing in the Cape Cod League), but he's mostly been on the road back since then.  Hes a three pitch guy with a huge fastball.

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Hard to see how he gets 475 plate appearances - that would be 90+ starts and 50+ off the bench?

56 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

If I'm the Angels I'm tasking all of their pitching prospects that are questionable starters based on missing a third pitch or solid offspeed offering to audition for a spot in the bullpen.

If you have a solid fastball and a good change, splitter or wipeout slider/curve let's see what you got... we got an opening on the big league roster for you! 

Concur, they have plenty of starter depth, but need to clean up the pen depth.

16 minutes ago, Trendon said:

On the topic of Angels lineups, I find it interesting that the bottom of the order is Fowler, Catcher, and Iglesias.

I would've thought that Maddon would bat Fowler 9th as a back of the order sort of leadoff hitter" since he used Fowler as a leadoff hitter in Chicago. Also, with the way Iglesias has swung the bat so far, I'd want to give Iglesias more AB's than Fowler. But Maddon's gonna Maddon.

I like what you’re saying.  I mentioned earlier that I felt that today’s line up would be the line up on Opening Day, but I don’t necessarily think it will be today’s batting order.  

The starting 9 today will probably be the starting 9, but I’m with you.  I’d like to see Iglesias higher and Fowler lower.