• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's Los Angeles Angels 2021 Top-30 Prospects

3 hours ago, T.G. said:

@Inside Pitch doing what IP does...

Good stuff, brother!

I always appreciate your perspective.  Like you said, there's a lot of "noise" out there - thanks for quieting the noise and helping us make sense of it all!

Agreed -- thanks IP for decreasing my need of additional medication.  Much appreciated.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

first of all, I'm not sure why you'd assume we'd be top 10 because we haven't had anyone to trade away nor have we had any top 5 picks.  It was gonna be a slow burn back to mediocre. 

Going only off KL's ranking, we were 30, 30, 12 heading into 2020.  We had high drafts pick due to sucking and made no trades giving away any good prospects and without graduating anyone good.  I think it's pretty obvious why i would think we'd be heading for the top 10.  I'm not sure how you can not see that...but whatever.  To fall back (on his list) to 16 and 23 is still a bit problematic and a concern.

But as IP mentioned, there is some understandable reasoning behind some of it.  Most of our top guys are either super raw or injured.  So no 2020 minor league system really hurt us ranking wise.  Plus, most rankings seem to go more off how many top 100 guys you have.  We easily could have 5-6 guys move into top 100 with proper health and a full minor league season.  In which case, we'd likely make a huge jump in these somewhat irrelevant (yet fun to talk about) rankings.   

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

In which case, we'd likely make a huge jump in these somewhat irrelevant (yet fun to talk about) rankings.   

Yup...  I've never put a lot of weight into rankings but I always look forward to seeing them.  Its always interesting to see what the various sites/authors think and how they come to their conclusions.   Law always caught a lot of shit from Angels fanś but he's had a very balanced approach compared to most.

Worst part of 2020 was no minor league baseball imho.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yup...  I've never put a lot of weight into rankings but I always look forward to seeing them.  Its always interesting to see what the various sites/authors think and how they come to their conclusions.   Law always caught a lot of shit from Angels fanś but he's had a very balanced approach compared to most.

Worst part of 2020 was no minor league baseball imho.

ESPECIALLY when you have the youngest farm system in baseball.  

Take these rankings with a jar of salt. There was no season. Consider the following according to reports: 

-Marsh ready for the next step
-Adams took a step forward
-Detmers impressed big time 
-Rodriguez is all Maddon and Mickey (rip) could talk about 
-William Holmes impressing
-Guys like Paris, Kochanowicz, and Vera haven’t played yet
-Yan, Ortega, Stiward haven’t been seen in a year

Ton of upside and a lot of unknowns. 

1 hour ago, ThisismineScios said:

Take these rankings with a jar of salt. There was no season. Consider the following according to reports: 

-Marsh ready for the next step
-Adams took a step forward
-Detmers impressed big time 
-Rodriguez is all Maddon and Mickey (rip) could talk about 
-William Holmes impressing
-Guys like Paris, Kochanowicz, and Vera haven’t played yet
-Yan, Ortega, Stiward haven’t been seen in a year

Ton of upside and a lot of unknowns. 

upside is the key and what the system has in spades.  maybe it doesn't pan out the way we hope but the only way to find out is to let the guys play.  Which is why not playing for an entire year causes a team to fall in the rankings.  Paris, Kochanowicz and Vera are great examples.  They could all be top 50 in a year if things go well.  And not even in a 'holy wow that came out of nowhere' sort of way.  Just in a 'rather fortunate or slightly lucky' sort of way.  

I think that's why Swanson is still around btw.  Minasian sees the potential.  If he thought it was smoke and mirrors, Swanson would have been gone.  My guess is that he's not 100% convinced that what they've been doing or how they've been doing it is for sure going to pan out but he's certainly curious enough to give it a little time.  And since Minasian just started it sorta tells me that the rest of the league is likely curious and maybe even sort of bullish as well.  

I think Perry knows (or at least is confident in) his amateur process.  The caveat is that this is the one thing you don't totally dismantle unless it's a disaster.  There too much time and effort that goes into the amateur scouting part of the game to just start over.  Something we learned the hard way from Jerry D and what he did.   

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

upside is the key and what the system has in spades.  maybe it doesn't pan out the way we hope but the only way to find out is to let the guys play.  Which is why not playing for an entire year causes a team to fall in the rankings.  Paris, Kochanowicz and Vera are great examples.  They could all be top 50 in a year if things go well.  And not even in a 'holy wow that came out of nowhere' sort of way.  Just in a 'rather fortunate or slightly lucky' sort of way.  

I think that's why Swanson is still around btw.  Minasian sees the potential.  If he thought it was smoke and mirrors, Swanson would have been gone.  My guess is that he's not 100% convinced that what they've been doing or how they've been doing it is for sure going to pan out but he's certainly curious enough to give it a little time.  And since Minasian just started it sorta tells me that the rest of the league is likely curious and maybe even sort of bullish as well.  

I think Perry knows (or at least is confident in) his amateur process.  The caveat is that this is the one thing you don't totally dismantle unless it's a disaster.  There too much time and effort that goes into the amateur scouting part of the game to just start over.  Something we learned the hard way from Jerry D and what he did.   

Upside is key. And I think that's the exciting part for a few reasons. First is the chance that some of the guys hit and we see our ______ of the future (SS, SP, CP). Another is the chance that the farm, ranked in the 20s, can easily become a very good one this year as some guys get their first shot and others show improvement. And then, when we have a little bit of depth, we can become a big time buyer like the Padres, Dodgers, Red Sox have been for years. 

ESPN Top 100 came out this morning. Has Marsh at #19, Adams at #75. No Detmers. He is very high on Adams (as were Baseball America guys in their reports). 

• Chuck locked this topic
  • Chuck unlocked and unpinned this topic