• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's Los Angeles Angels 2021 Top-30 Prospects

3 hours ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Packy Naughton not #1? 0/10. 

He was ranked #1 for best first named prospect. 

I think at best this guy becomes a John Halama, Charlie Furbush or Tommy Milone type. 

But who knows, we may get lucky and he becomes a Jimmy Key or Jamie Moyer type?

One thing is for sure. Even the best prospect evaluators like Baseball America have been wrong on guys before. In fact, there's been tons of prospects like Jacob deGrom that came out of nowhere, unranked out of the team's top-30 prospects and became a stud in the big leagues.

• Chuck pinned this topic

Keith Law is decent, but not necessarily great. I once had a civil Twitter debate with him regarding CJ Cron. He explained that because of a lack of plate discipline and inability to lift the ball, Cron would never be a starting 1B in the major leagues, or if he did, it would be as a second division starter at best. I said that I felt like he was going to be a .270/.320 hitter with 25+ HR. 

It's splitting hairs really, but at any rate, he vehemently disagreed with me, which is a little strange because .270 and 25 HR isn't really an elite starter. It sounds like we debated over the same conclusion. 

And as it turns out, we were both wrong. Cron has been the starting 1B on three very good teams, the 2014 Angels, 2018 Rays and 2019 Twins. And while Cron has hit for pretty much the exact amount of power as I said he would, his BA and OBP are both a solid 10-15 points lower than I believed they would be. 

For someone that has to pay attention to 30 farm systems, he doesn't do a bad job. But he's also a flawed scout, just like many of us. 

Edited by Second Base

.270/.320 with 25 HR is a second division starter at 1B. In fact, a second division starter is exactly what Cron was/is: the type of guy that you pick up when you don't have a better option, but never give a multi-year contract to. 

So I'm not entirely sure what you guys were disagreeing about, except who gets to frame how Cron is described. You were both right.

Edited by Angelsjunky

39 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

.270/.320 with 25 HR is a second division starter at 1B. In fact, a second division starter is exactly what Cron was/is: the type of guy that you pick up when you don't have a better option, but never give a multi-year contract to. 

So I'm not entirely sure what you guys were disagreeing about, except who gets to frame how Cron is described. You were both right.

He didn't believe how OBP would ever teach .320 or that he would hit more than 25 HR. It really depends on how you frame it, neither of us were 100% correct or incorrect.

43 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Surprised that Law didn’t have Adams in the top 100?

I'm not because he said in the introduction of his article that he values floor along with upside and not just pure upside. Adams hasn't established as much of a floor as other prospects, partly because there was just no minor league season in 2020.

5 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm not because he said in the introduction of his article that he values floor along with upside and not just pure upside. Adams hasn't established as much of a floor as other prospects, partly because there was just no minor league season in 2020.

Yep, and is yet another reason a MiLB season is desperately needed.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Marsh at 53, Detmers at 74

How the heck does a Dumbpoto org end up with SIX in the top 100, including FOUR in the top 33?

He was smart and traded all of their best players for top prospects. They have also drafted and signed really good amateurs over the past few years. 

If only he did that when with the Angels...ugh

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He didn’t do it with the Angels because we really didn’t have tradeable assets, oh and we were winning.  

Yeah, you're right. My bad. It was Eppler who wasn't really allowed to rebuild, but like you said, they didn't really have much to trade.

1 hour ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

so marsh has 4 tools that rate as 60, one thats at 50. Which is his power, and which can still develop.

Yets he's ranked outside of the top 50.lol. 

That should tell you the repsect that they have, with those grade's Marsh is a top 20 prospects. 

MLB's rating system is kind of silly. I'm surprised they haven't updated it. Perhaps they explain why guys will often have overall ratings lower than all the other tools, but it still doesn't make much sense.

It's likely a crapshoot anyway. There's no way they know enough about that many prospects to give them a valid tool rating (gross), though that's because it would be nearly impossible.

Should give you an idea of how seriously you should take these things.

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He didn’t do it with the Angels because we really didn’t have tradeable assets, oh and we were winning.  

A healthy Richards would have gotten him a nice return at the deadline.  Maybe a ok return for Shoe.  Probably wouldn't have traded them anyway because if they're both healthy, the team is likely above .500 at the deadline.  

13 hours ago, Stradling said:

There is this.   From 2011-2015, they averaged about 87 wins per season and were in post-season contention 4 out of 5 seasons and won the AL West in 2014.

Unfortunately, the going for it and the injuries derailed the train for the next 5 seasons.

If only GRich, Shoe, and Heaney could stay healthy.

Edited by Angel Oracle