• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's Los Angeles Angels 2021 Top-30 Prospects

7 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Too early to tell for me. I'd like to talk with the people I know to get a better feel for where to rank him. 

Somebody must have liked him, though, to drop that kind of coin on him. Most likely we will rank him in a mid-season update. Let's just hope that there is a season for the Minor Leagues so that they can develop him and we can get a better idea of where he ranks. 

Thanks Dave.  I see what you mean.

Hey everyone great job!

@Chuckster70 you mentioned the guy we got from SD in the Castro trade, Geraldo Reyes in a post.  I thought I read when we acquired him he was out of options, does anyone know if that is true?  I am just thinking about how our bullpen will set up this year with the subtractions from the pen we have had since the off season began.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Hey everyone great job!

@Chuckster70 you mentioned the guy we got from SD in the Castro trade, Geraldo Reyes in a post.  I thought I read when we acquired him he was out of options, does anyone know if that is true?  I am just thinking about how our bullpen will set up this year with the subtractions from the pen we have had since the off season began.

I believe that is true @Stradling but I can confirm and circle back. That said, I do believe he will be a big part of the bullpen. 

Whether that's high leverage or in a role like Noe or Cam had in the 5th or 6th innings. Same with Jose Alberto Rivera who we have to keep on the roster this year. 

If one or both of those guys contribute at a high level this season our bullpen is going to be awesome. 

8 hours ago, Stax said:

It is great to read about these guys. But do you hoard them like Bill Stoneman did and not win.  Or do we trade these assets to become better and win now with Trout and Rendon in their prime?

The problem is that most of these prospects are very young and far from their peak trade value, so we’re still a year or two away from a Stoneman scenario, who was mostly hoarding a lot of high minors guys.

I have little doubt that a bunch of these guys will eventually be traded, if only because you only need so many outfielders or middle infielders. But I think it would be premature on most of them.

15 hours ago, Stax said:

It is great to read about these guys. But do you hoard them like Bill Stoneman did and not win.  Or do we trade these assets to become better and win now with Trout and Rendon in their prime?

As others have pointed out, they did win under Stoneman.  More importantly, his "hoarding" ended up fueling the Angels continued success long after he was gone.  The last truly productive draft post Stoneman (until Eppler), was in 2009, and that was mostly all of his people calling the shots.

Also as AJ mentioned -- these guys aren't yet close to being at max value.  The Angels farm system is the youngest in MLB, as such a lot of their value has yet to manifest itself.   Should there be a minor league season this year and these guys play to their skill sets we may be having to ask this question next winter.

My way of example, re: not peak value, let's look at the outfielders:

Adell: slight down-turn in trade value due to 2020 performance, but obviously still high in value. As the Angels #1 prospect, you've got to be very leery about trading him unless its for Mackenzie Gore or in a package for Luis Castillo, neither of which is likely to happen.

Marsh: Arguably more valuable at this point than Adell and probably closest to filling a need the Angels have - so why trade a guy that fills a need in 2020? Not to mention the "bro-mance" with Adell.

Adams: Some see him as the highest upside OF prospect. He is example A of "not peak value yet." A year from now he could be a top 20 prospect or, if not, still with a lot of potential but a slower road in developing his skills.

Ramirez: Big bat potential, just 18. Clearly not maxed out.

Calabrese: Hasn't played a pro game yet.

Knowles: As I said in my take, 2021 could be the year he either establishes himself as a legit prospect, or clarifies that he's more of a future 4th outfielder. So there's an argument that he is trade bait, but I think you want to take the risk that he increases his trade value.

Deveaux: Similar to the last three: We need to see if he continues developing.

You'll find similar stories with the high upside middle infielders.

2 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

My way of example, re: not peak value, let's look at the outfielders:

Adell: slight down-turn in trade value due to 2020 performance, but obviously still high in value. As the Angels #1 prospect, you've got to be very leery about trading him unless its for Mackenzie Gore or in a package for Luis Castillo, neither of which is likely to happen.

Marsh: Arguably more valuable at this point than Adell and probably closest to filling a need the Angels have - so why trade a guy that fills a need in 2020? Not to mention the "bro-mance" with Adell.

Adams: Some see him as the highest upside OF prospect. He is example A of "not peak value yet." A year from now he could be a top 20 prospect or, if not, still with a lot of potential but a slower road in developing his skills.

Ramirez: Big bat potential, just 18. Clearly not maxed out.

Calabrese: Hasn't played a pro game yet.

Knowles: As I said in my take, 2021 could be the year he either establishes himself as a legit prospect, or clarifies that he's more of a future 4th outfielder. So there's an argument that he is trade bait, but I think you want to take the risk that he increases his trade value.

Deveaux: Similar to the last three: We need to see if he continues developing.

You'll find similar stories with the high upside middle infielders.

Chris Rodriguez.   Dude hasnt seen competitive action and yet everyone that has seen him cant stop talking about his front of the rotation stuff and how he misses bats.   Dude is a top 20 talent who just hasn't put it on display.   

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Chris Rodriguez.   Dude hasnt seen competitive action and yet everyone that has seen him cant stop talking about his front of the rotation stuff and how he misses bats.   Dude is a top 20 talent who just hasn't put it on display.   

Yeah, between the Angels alternate site and the instructional league, Rodriguez tossed just 65 innings last season. 

That said, from all reports he was blowing away the opposition and it was his stuff that turned heads. That and he spent the summer learning how to sequence pitches and how he can manipulate his pitches to create different movement.

Rodriguez was kept on a normal work schedule throughout the summer and fall and did not miss an appearance, another sign that the injuries that derailed him earlier in his career are behind him.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Hey everyone great job!

That is not true. Reyes is not out of options. He has 1 option year left.

FanGraphs does a good job of keeping track of player's options. If you go to any player's page on FanGraphs, it lists how many options they have left.

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

Hey everyone great job!

Shame.gif

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I believe that is true @Stradling but I can confirm and circle back. That said, I do believe he will be a big part of the bullpen. 

Whether that's high leverage or in a role like Noe or Cam had in the 5th or 6th innings. Same with Jose Alberto Rivera who we have to keep on the roster this year. 

If one or both of those guys contribute at a high level this season our bullpen is going to be awesome. 

Shame.gif

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yes, and I think you could go down the list and say that almost every prospect--if not every prospect--isn't close to maxed out in value. There are a few instances where their value could drop, but I can't think of one that that is more likely to happen than not.

I know I'm typically a homer, but I really do think there Angels farm system is much better than what many of you are going to read from national publishing sites, for a few reasons.

1. Most of them don't include Jo Adell. Having a top 5 overall prospect really ups a team in the rankings.

2. Chris Rodriguez. He hasn't been healthy, but he's healthy not, and was so at the alt site too. He's a front of the rotation starter, and then prospect gurus that have their attention pulled across 30 teams are going to get a really good look at him soon, and if he isn't promoted, will likely be a top 100 prospect 

3. Jack Kochanowicz. Another guy the prospect sites haven't seen yet, but are about to learn about this year. He'll also be a top 100 prospect. 

4. There's a ton of talent that's obscured by the minorleague shutdown right now. Alex Ramirez, Arol Vera, Jose Bonilla, Adrian Placencia, Will Holmes, Erik Rivera and D'Shawn Knowles to name a few.

5. There I'd a lot of post prospect depth here that can still translate into major league regulars. Matt Thaiss, Luis Rengifo, Patrick Sandoval, Jose Suarez, Packy Naughton, Taylor Ward, Jared Walsh, Franklin Barreto and Jaime Barria. 

Believe it or not, this is a deep farm system. 

12 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

True, but I think he's referring to the High school guys and international kids who are coming in at 16-17 years old.

Yea I posted it for two reasons, the irony of younger than 19 year olds, and he sounds like a character guy which we knew was important to Eppler. 

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yea I posted it for two reasons, the irony of younger than 19 year olds, and he sounds like a character guy which we knew was important to Eppler. 

It seems important to Minasian as well. Likely an organizational philosophy.

Wonder if that stemmed from Hamilton.