• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Election - The Epilogue

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Funny, I payed federal taxes on my unemployment checks

Interesting.

Your situation was certainly awful. Being out of work for so long is not helpful for anyone.

I think my point was more to say that there’s a lot of people out there who probably aren't worried about having to pay taxes as much as being worried about paying for heat and rent.

For me, I pay about $200 a month in taxes, rounded up. $200 extra a month would definitely be great to have, and yeah, it's my money. I don't like paying taxes. I'm not sure anyone does. But for people like me, that's not life changing. Obviously everyone is different, and ultimately having more money is better than having less.

But you know we will always be paying taxes no matter who is in charge. Our children's children's children will be paying taxes. So ultimately and realistically, how do we help people in need right now? Giving them their $50, $100, or whatever a month they are paying in taxes isn't going to pay the rent or keep the heat on. 

$2000 a month payments isn't going to happen. It just won't get the support it needs. But if we're talking about hypotheticals here, it would help people in need a hell of a lot more than not making them pay taxes, at least in my opinion.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Interesting.

Your situation was certainly awful. Being out of work for so long is not helpful for anyone.

I think my point was more to say that there’s a lot of people out there who probably aren't worried about having to pay taxes as much as being worried about paying for heat and rent.

For me, I pay about $200 a month in taxes, rounded up. $200 extra a month would definitely be great to have, and yeah, it's my money. I don't like paying taxes. I'm not sure anyone does. But for people like me, that's not life changing. Obviously everyone is different, and ultimately having more money is better than having less.

But you know we will always be paying taxes no matter who is in charge. Our children's children's children will be paying taxes. So ultimately and realistically, how do we help people in need right now? Giving them their $50, $100, or whatever a month they are paying in taxes isn't going to pay the rent or keep the heat on. 

$2000 a month payments isn't going to happen. It just won't get the support it needs. But if we're talking about hypotheticals here, it would help people in need a hell of a lot more than not making them pay taxes, at least in my opinion.

Then the EDD in California gets defrauded for billions of dollars and you realize it was our tax dollars that went to the criminals. It’s unfortunate that our elected officials are terrible stewards or our money   

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Then the EDD in California gets defrauded for billions of dollars and you realize it was our tax dollars that went to the criminals.    

Yeah, I'm never going to come close to agreeing with this take. There aren't nearly enough "criminals" in this country to defraud an organization like that for "billions" of dollars, let alone just the state of California. 

Is there precedent that makes such a claim even remotely possible? 

23 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Yeah, I'm never going to come close to agreeing with this take. There aren't nearly enough "criminals" in this country to defraud an organization like that for "billions" of dollars, let alone just the state of California. 

If you’re implying that the money disappeared another way I’d buy that too 

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

Unemployment fraud: EDD blunders allowed $10.4 billion in improper payments, auditor says

CA EDD admits paying as much as $31 billion in unemployment funds to criminals

1 hour ago, tdawg87 said:

interesting read, and worth your time.

https://apnews.com/article/coronavirus-pandemic-crime-california-china-russia-b8674c13a031af41efdde1282a8976aa

5 minutes ago, Tank said:

with some of that money going to organized crime in Russia, China and other countries, according to a security firm hired to investigate the fraud.

Holy shit, @Jason you weren't kidding. Damn.

How can you fuck up so badly? And yes, that sets a terrible precedent for people taking advantage of the system, especially on a nationwide scale.

3 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Holy shit, @Jason you weren't kidding. Damn.

How can you fuck up so badly? And yes, that sets a terrible precedent for people taking advantage of the system, especially on a nationwide scale.

It gets worse.  Now, in their rush to get things right, they are blocking a huge number of legitimate claims.  Without warning, and without any way to fix it.

8 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I don't know how those fuckers do it. Around 8 years ago I was getting laid off from a job. I already had a new job lined up but there was a 2 week gap in between. I filed unemployment knowing the first week didn't count so I would be collecting 1 total week of unemployment.  Got a letter in the mail stating the first was a holding period which I knew. Got a letter in the mail the next week stating it was a holding period even though it wasn't. So I filled it out for one more week even though I started a new job and ended it there. Just wanted the one week I was due. About a month letter I get a letter stating I was committing fraud and not only did I have to pay back the whopping $450 but also a fine of $50 and received a warning stating  i wouldn't be able to file unemployment the next 2 years. I wrote back a letter that explained what happened and got declined. 

So the one week of unemployment I was entitled to cost me $50. On top of that when I called the unemployment department after I finally received my kne check I had to pay back to ask how I can stop any possible future checks from arriving because I was already employed again the xhick that answered the phone was a total c*nt and all that called me an r word for not knowing g you just have to stop filling out the form to end unemployment. 

I know you aren't going to read this nor reply but that's my rant. 

5 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

@st1ckboy  When I was unemployed, they only gave me something like 2 months.  They wouldn't extend it.  Then the financial downturn of 2002 happened.  They still wouldn't extend it.  

Had a friend that was unemployed at around the same time.  He somehow was able to stay on it for 5 years.  

I just wanted the one week out of 2 I was unemployed for. Still pisses me off.  I dont even care about the $450. It's the fact that I had to pay it back plus a fine and received a threat for just trying to make use of a program I've paid into my entire adult life. 

14 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

@st1ckboy  When I was unemployed, they only gave me something like 2 months.  They wouldn't extend it.  Then the financial downturn of 2002 happened.  They still wouldn't extend it.  

Had a friend that was unemployed at around the same time.  He somehow was able to stay on it for 5 years.  

Obviously you know why. They know it would bring shame to your ancestors had you gone longer without finishing residency as a neurosurgeon. 

7 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I just wanted the one week out of 2 I was unemployed for. Still pisses me off.  I dont even care about the $450. It's the fact that I had to pay it back plus a fine and received a threat for just trying to make use of a program I've paid into my entire adult life. 

You couldn't managed financially for two weeks?

2 minutes ago, Blarg said:

You couldn't managed financially for two weeks?

I could and I did. I got a nice severance from the prior employer on top of the money I already had. That wasn't the point though.  I was unemployed for 2 weeks in-between jobs. I know they don't pay out for the first week but I was qualified to collect unemployment benefits for the second week. 

4 minutes ago, st1ckboy said:

I could and I did. I got a nice severance from the prior employer on top of the money I already had. That wasn't the point though.  I was unemployed for 2 weeks in-between jobs. I know they don't pay out for the first week but I was qualified to collect unemployment benefits for the second week. 

You should have gone to prison so that you could collect even more.

6 hours ago, st1ckboy said:

Why not? I was unemployed. A severance doesn't negate that. 

Severance is an unemployment benefit from your employer. You basically stole money from the state because you wanted a paid vacation when it was already provided. You did not deserve that money and it was a white trash scam filing for it. 

37 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Severance is an unemployment benefit from your employer. You basically stole money from the state because you wanted a paid vacation when it was already provided. You did not deserve that money and it was a white trash scam filing for it. 

Fuck off idiot.

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 460.35 - Severance Pay, Dismissal or Separation Pay
https://www.edd.ca.gov/uibdg/Total_and_Partial_Unemployment_TPU_46035.htm

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 460.35

Severance Pay, Dismissal or Separation Pay

Severance pay is not wages for unemployment insurance purposes.