• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels linked to Schwarber

Warfarin

He's more LF/1B, so it really only makes sense if they move Upton to RF, which he hasn't played since 2013 but probably should be OK.

I'm fine with it if it is cheap and doesn't prevent the Angels from spending on SP. Right now I'd say an OF is well down the list of priorities:

SP 1

SP 2

RP 2 (Raisel being 1)

C

OF

RP 3

Edited by Angelsjunky

Hard to see Schwarber as an option in RF, even in a platoon.

I wonder if perhaps Walsh could handle RF semi-regularly? He certainly has the arm and being a 1B, would be familiar with playing that side of the field.

Schwarber could handle 1B, maybe have a good defensive 4th OF on hand to replace Walsh late in game and have him move to 1B if they’re holding a lead.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hard to see Schwarber as an option in RF, even in a platoon.

I wonder if perhaps Walsh could handle RF semi-regularly? He certainly has the arm and being a 1B, would be familiar with playing that side of the field.

Schwarber could handle 1B, maybe have a good defensive 4th OF on hand to replace Walsh late in game and have him move to 1B if they’re holding a lead.

Something to consider..

Maddon said last year that Ohtani is too athletic to just be a DH.  Might there be plans for him to play some RF, so that Schwarber instead occupies LF/DH?

I know it's unlikely, but Maddon did specifically say he feels Ohtani shouldn't be relegated to DH, and he did play RF in Japan.

5 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

He's more LF/1B, so it really only makes sense if they move Upton to RF, which he hasn't played since 2013 but probably should be OK.

I'm fine with it if it is cheap and doesn't prevent the Angels from spending on SP. Right now I'd say an OF is well down the list of priorities:

SP 1

SP 2

RP 2 (Raisel being 1)

C

OF

RP 3

A key part of this is whether or not the FO / Maddon believes in Barria as a starter.

If they do, then maybe we just need to add one starter in the caliber of a Bauer, since Barria can't be optioned and has to remaining in the big leagues.  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Barria would form our 5 SPs, and we have Suarez/Sandoval/Naughton as options, too.

Just now, Warfarin said:

A key part of this is whether or not the FO / Maddon believes in Barria as a starter.

If they do, then maybe we just need to add one starter in the caliber of a Bauer, since Barria can't be optioned and has to remaining in the big leagues.  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Barria would form our 5 SPs, and we have Suarez/Sandoval/Naughton as options, too.

Yes, agreed. I think if they sign Bauer, they'll hope for the best with the rest. If they don't and sign someone like Odorizzi (say, 3/$36M) they might feel like they can add someone like Richards (2/$16M), adding $20M AAV.

Schwarber is essentially the same player as Joc Pederson.

Schwarber (age 28 in 2021): 551 games, .230/.336/.480, 113 wRC+, 9.3 WAR, -10.8 Def in LF/C

Pederson (age 29 in 2021): 748 games, ..230/.336/.470, 118 wRC+, 13.0 WAR, -8.4 Def in OF/1B

Both have average 2.2 WAR per 162 games played, making them mediocre regulars and better suited as platoon players and/or DHs.

Edited by Angelsjunky

26 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

He's played 0 professional inning at 1b. 

could he play there?  maybe.  

but you can't just assume it.  

Seems like this is getting to be an annual occurrence around here: someone proposes that a player who's never played 1B can just magically adapt to it.  I don't get it...Thank you for calling it out!

Perry Minasian has said he wants to be good defensively. Schwarber makes the defense worse, whether he plays LF, RF, or 1B. The only reason it makes any sense is because of the Maddon connection. While they need an OF, Schwarber makes no sense because he can't play RF.