• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month!

Chuck

Hey everyone, @ettin's recent Primer Series got me thinking about something we could do as a website to help bring awareness to charities you feel strongly about.  

I think we can rotate these in and out on a monthly basis. 

If you have a charity that you're interested in us promoting for free, please PM me and we'll work toward getting them in place for each of the 12 months in 2021 ahead of time. 

You will see these on the forums main page and within the forum at the top. 

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 11.15.58 AM.png

• 1 month later...

This month's charity of the month was submitted by @Dtwncbad and it's to support the Children's Skin Disease Foundation. 

AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month 
533332_10150927765186598_1910841161_n%2B
Click on the image above to donate!

Skin disease results in much physical pain, some requiring several hours of medical care per day.  Additionally, and often times worse, children with skin disease experience emotional pain as a result of their appearance. Children's Skin Disease Foundation's (CSDF) mission is to improve the lives of children with life-threatening and chronic skin disease and their families by offering wonderful experiences that will enrich their lives and empower them to have a childhood without limits.

CSDF was the 16th birthday wish of Francesca Tenconi.  At eleven, Francesca was diagnosed with pemphigus foliaceous, a rare skin disease. Having been an active, outgoing child who was on a competitive swimming team, one of the most frustrating and emotionally difficult parts about her diagnosis was looking different and feeling isolated.  She yearned to meet other children with skin disease who could understand the burdens of such a visual illness. For her 16th birthday, she asked family and friends to donate money to start a non-profit that would address the unique challenges of children's skin disease. CSDF was founded a week after her birthday on June 3, 2000.  Our two main programs are Camp Wonder and Wonder Wish to help children in North America.

Francesca searched for a way to create a community for children with skin disease where they could also have fun.  Francesca was offered a week at The Taylor Family Foundation, built by Elaine and Barry Taylor for children with special needs.  Francesca then met Dr. Jenny Kim and Dr. Stefani Takahashi, both dermatologists who wanted to give back to their patients by starting a camp.  These women joined forces to co-found Camp Wonder, welcoming the first campers in August of 2001. Since 2001, Camp Wonder has hosted thousands of children and their families.

In 2017, CSDF added Wonder Wish as another way to help children and families with skin disease.

https://www.csdf.org/our-story

Hello.  I wanted to take a moment to explain why I nominated this foundation for this Charity of the Month on Angelswin.com.

My younger brother at 19 got married and had a baby.  This baby was born with Epidermolysis Bullosa.  You can look up this disease here (and lots of other places): www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/epidermolysis-bullosa/symptoms-causes/syc-20361062

The reality is this is a very mean and tragic skin disease.  It is extremely painful ever day of the person's life, and most do not live long.  Many die as babies because they don't have an established immune system yet, or their immune system just gets worn out and they pass away extremely young.  My nephew was born 28 years ago and he is now 28.  I can just tell you this is a very, very long life for this disease.

When the baby was born, my brother and his new wife were instantly challenged to become superparents and medical experts on how to take care of a child with this disease.  They have done this with incredible grace.  As my nephew got a little older, my brother and his wife figured out quickly that others in the same situation could really use some help in learning quickly how to take care of a new baby with this disease.  My brother's wife would (and still does) routinely jump on an airplane and go meet brand new parents in random places in the US who are in shock with the news that their baby has this disease.  She will help them cope and teach them everything they need to know in how to take care of the baby.

When my nephew as very young, they discovered someone named Francesca Tenconi, who suffered as a child from a skin disease.  Francesca founded "Camp Wonder" www.csdf.org/camp-wonder where kids with all kinds of cruel, painful, disfiguring, and often deadly skin diseases could go to feel normal for a week.  My nephew went to this camp and had the best time of his life.  He didn't have to be a patient that week.  No staring from strangers.  No ridicule.  Nobody making fun of him.  No shame.  He could just be a kid for once.  Going to this camp became something he would look forward to every year.  And he went every year.  It was, and is, a very special place for these kids.

My brother would volunteer here.  His wife would volunteer here.  She started hand-making stuffed ducks to give to each kid that goes to the camp.  She makes each of them to be unique and she makes them every year.  It is a big project but she loves it and the kids look forward to collecting the new duck for each year.

As I mentioned, my nephew is now 28.  By the time he reached adulthood he knew he had to give back to this camp as well.  So he now goes every year to be a counselor for all the kids that go there.  He is really good at it since he can relate to everything they go through, and he also went to this camp his whole life.

Anyway, that is how I am connected to this camp and I can tell you first hand that it is basically magical for these kids.  It is non-profit of course.

I just ask that you please poke around on the website and take a look www.csdf.org/camp-wonder

It is amazing and it is worthy of anyone’s charitable consideration.

Thanks for listening.  If you are interested in making a contribution, it would be greatly appreciated and I humbly thank you.

16 minutes ago, SkyMonkey said:

My best wishes to your brother and his wife. Made a small donation, and encourage all posters here to do what they can.

Thank you @SkyMonkey.

Let's go AngelsWin. This is a great charity. 

Also, if you have a charity in mind please send me a PM so we can get it scheduled for the future. 

I have @Vegas Halo Fan next in line. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For the next 4-6 weeks we'll be running @Vegas Halo Fan submitted charity, Three Square - Together we can feed everyone. 

logo_threesquare.png

I will let Vegas speak more about this charity to donate to, but here's just a blurb off their donation page which you can access by clicking on the image at the top of the forums page and homepage. 

Help Create a Community Without Hunger

The economic impact of COVID-19 will almost certainly increase the need for food assistance in our community in the coming days and weeks. Your gift will help provide meals now and during the crisis. Every $1 you give helps provide 3 nutritious meals for children, seniors and families right here in our community.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, we have a new charity of the month called Rise Against Hunger (www.riseagainsthunger.org) submitted by @Halos5150!

Rise Against is on the road to end hunger, aligned with the United Nations Sustainable Goal #2 of Zero Hunger. From the implementation of sustainable community development projects to our meal packaging program that harnesses the passion of local volunteers, we strive to make an impact on hunger by building resilience, self-sufficiency and empowerment in communities worldwide. They have served in 78 countries and almost 540 million meals in our 16 year existence. A majority of our meals go to students in impoverished countries, sometimes providing them with their only meal of the day while at school. They've been impacted just like everyone else during covid with our meal packing events almost non existent but we still keep moving forward best we can and through the kindness of donors still able to provide hunger relief to those in need. I know a lot of people prefer to give domestically but the need for donations is just as great internationally so hopefully the great Angels fans on the site would help out best with their mission. 

Also, once the pandemic has been eradicated to the point of getting back to some sense of normalcy maybe we could talk further about holding an event with a group of Angel fans from here in packaging meals. Feel free to check out our video on how those events are done (pre pandemic of course).

Thank you so much to Chuck and the staff of Angelswin.com for giving me this opportunity to shed light on Rise Against Hunger and our mission of ending world hunger.

I've personally been with the organization for 2 years with the mission itself started by a United Methodist minister and former U.S. Marine, Ray Buchanan. As Chuck mentioned we have served in 78 countries and approaching 550 million. meals distributed. Even with the pandemic, we were still able to impact 2.8 million lives in 2020.

What personally drew me to Rise Against Hunger was my own children and the thoughts of them or any child going hungry. I'd been in corporate America my whole life and wanted to make a difference and searched out non-profit opportunities and its been the privilege of my life to work for this organization.

The facts  and numbers are staggering. Nearly 690 million people worldwide are undernourished, 144 million children suffer from stunting (chronic undernourishment), 47 million suffer from wasting (acute undernutrition) and in 2018, 5.3 million children died before their 5th birthdays where malnutrition played a role. And these a pre-pandemic numbers.

One of the top priorities with Rise Against Hunger is marrying hunger relief with education. A large portion of our meals go to schools where most times a child will receive his or her only meal of the day, most times walking miles to attend. One of the great things we've achieved is more education opportunities for young girls who otherwise would be left in a remote village with her mother with no opportunity to learn or grow. With partnering schools offering free meals, parents in remote communities who normally would not allow girls the same opportunities as boys are now allowing their girls to go to school just to get that free meal BUT with that came the chance to stay and get an education. As the father of two girls, that's my personal favorite fact about what we do. 

I don't want to go on and on and write a book here (too late?) but please feel free to check out our organization on the link provided. Even word of mouth is great, just as good as a donation in my eyes so please mention us to your friends, neighbors or co-workers. We can put on a food packing event most anywhere in the country. We partner with churches, rotaries, large corporations, small family owned businesses. Heck we'll even do birthday parties! Please see the video link to see how an event works. We have a virtual 5/10K run going on now (Rise and Stride) as well as a fun virtual event in October for World Food Day 2021.

Pictured is our volunteer wall in my Sacramento Distribution Center where volunteers sign and date times they've help us. Angelswin.com has been added today!!

Again, thank you so much to Chuck the staff and to all you Angels fans for checking us out. Go Angels!!!
AWC.thumb.jpg.2238f366abb70ec2e167caa0403984e1.jpg

On 4/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, Halos5150 said:

Thank you so much to Chuck and the staff of Angelswin.com for giving me this opportunity to shed light on Rise Against Hunger and our mission of ending world hunger.

I've personally been with the organization for 2 years with the mission itself started by a United Methodist minister and former U.S. Marine, Ray Buchanan. As Chuck mentioned we have served in 78 countries and approaching 550 million. meals distributed. Even with the pandemic, we were still able to impact 2.8 million lives in 2020.

What personally drew me to Rise Against Hunger was my own children and the thoughts of them or any child going hungry. I'd been in corporate America my whole life and wanted to make a difference and searched out non-profit opportunities and its been the privilege of my life to work for this organization.

The facts  and numbers are staggering. Nearly 690 million people worldwide are undernourished, 144 million children suffer from stunting (chronic undernourishment), 47 million suffer from wasting (acute undernutrition) and in 2018, 5.3 million children died before their 5th birthdays where malnutrition played a role. And these a pre-pandemic numbers.

One of the top priorities with Rise Against Hunger is marrying hunger relief with education. A large portion of our meals go to schools where most times a child will receive his or her only meal of the day, most times walking miles to attend. One of the great things we've achieved is more education opportunities for young girls who otherwise would be left in a remote village with her mother with no opportunity to learn or grow. With partnering schools offering free meals, parents in remote communities who normally would not allow girls the same opportunities as boys are now allowing their girls to go to school just to get that free meal BUT with that came the chance to stay and get an education. As the father of two girls, that's my personal favorite fact about what we do. 

I don't want to go on and on and write a book here (too late?) but please feel free to check out our organization on the link provided. Even word of mouth is great, just as good as a donation in my eyes so please mention us to your friends, neighbors or co-workers. We can put on a food packing event most anywhere in the country. We partner with churches, rotaries, large corporations, small family owned businesses. Heck we'll even do birthday parties! Please see the video link to see how an event works. We have a virtual 5/10K run going on now (Rise and Stride) as well as a fun virtual event in October for World Food Day 2021.

Pictured is our volunteer wall in my Sacramento Distribution Center where volunteers sign and date times they've help us. Angelswin.com has been added today!!

Again, thank you so much to Chuck the staff and to all you Angels fans for checking us out. Go Angels!!!

This is great @Halos5150. That AngelsWin.com on there is awesome 🙂 

Hey guys, if you have some spare money or you're feeling generous please give to this great charity. 🙏

• 2 months later...
On 4/6/2021 at 2:51 PM, Halos5150 said:

Just donated as a website to this great cause. If you have a few bucks to spare for a great cause, please donate today.

Also, we're due for a new charity. PM me if you're interested in using our website to point to a great cause!