• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Rule 5 Draft (Pirates select Jose Soriano, Angels select Jose Rivera)

Stradling

9 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I wouldn't be surprised if the Angels got raided today. Soriano has already been taken, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Rojas and Naughton get picked.

Angels have six spots on 40 so they might do some raiding of their own. Could be a good way to get a backup catcher for first few weeks while Stassi gets up to speed.

Edited by totdprods

Per MLB pipeline, re: Rivera:

The Astros have excelled at finding older pitchers on the international market and helping them find more velocity. Another example is Rivera, who was 19 years and seven months old when he signed for $10,000 out of the Dominican Republic in October 2016. His fastball made a huge jump in 2019 while he averaged 11.3 strikeouts per nine innings in his full-season debut.

Rivera's four-seam fastball sat at 89-93 mph during his U.S. debut in 2018 before rising to 94-98 and topping out at 100 last year. His secondary pitches have been slower to develop, though his mid-80s changeup with splitter action shows some glimpse of becoming at least a solid offering. His slider has similar velocity and stands out more for its power than its bite.

Rivera is yet another Houston pitching prospect who has been developed as a hybrid starter but is likely to end up as a multi-inning reliever. His effortful delivery and long arm action are better suited for shorter stints and compromise his ability to control and command his pitches. He'll be 23 this season, so the Astros may start to accelerate his development.

4 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Angels have six spots on 40 so they might do some raiding of their own. Could be a good way to get a backup catcher for first few weeks while Stassi gets up to speed.

They passed in the 2nd round of the Rule-5 draft. 

There is always a chance that the player a team picks ends up getting traded to another team, as they had a deal worked out before.

I wonder if there's a chance that the Angels selected Jose Rivera for the Reds as the PTBNL. Very low chance, but just a thought. Also possible that they picked him for some other team and will trade him. We will see.

Just curious... can anyone explain why Soriano had been in our system for four seasons and never rose about High-A?  I've heard good things about him on this board, and his surface stats look terrific.  Weird that he wasn't more aggressively promoted.  Were there makeup problems or other intangibles holding him back?

Maybe a stupid question, but why would we leave such a valuable prospect (SP one at that) off the 40 man protection list when we only had 34 or so on the list?!?  I understand if we were at 38-40, but with 5-6 open spots, leaving him off seems bizarre....or just idiotic.  Maybe there's a valid reason for it that i'm not aware of and i'm over simplifying things.

2 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Just curious... can anyone explain why Soriano had been in our system for four seasons and never rose about High-A?  I've heard good things about him on this board, and his surface stats look terrific.  Weird that he wasn't more aggressively promoted.  Were there makeup problems or other intangibles holding him back?

He's been injured for awhile, I believe TJS after 2019. Otherwise his rise is pretty normal. He stalled out a bit in his first call-up to A ball (2018), but then did very well in 2019.

This is a bummer. He's right there with Yan in our second tier of pitching prospects, behind only Rodriguez, Detmers, and Kochanowicz. At the least, he's going to make a very good reliever. I don't think he's ready for the Show in 2021, though, so hopefully he'll be returned.

4 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

He's been injured for awhile, I believe TJS after 2019. Otherwise his rise is pretty normal. He stalled out a bit in his first call-up to A ball (2018), but then did very well in 2019.

This is a bummer. He's right there with Yan in our second tier of pitching prospects, behind only Rodriguez, Detmers, and Kochanowicz. At the least, he's going to make a very good reliever. I don't think he's ready for the Show in 2021, though, so hopefully he'll be returned.

They can probably stash him on the 60-man IL for half the season, have him rehab, then have him pitch for the last 2 months or so of the season, I imagine.