• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

2020 Rule 5 Draft (Pirates select Jose Soriano, Angels select Jose Rivera)

Stradling

I was a little surprised that Naughton wasn't protected, but I don't think it's a big deal.

Teams only add players if they think that the player has a good chance of getting taken in the R5 draft and staying on the other team's roster for the entire season. Since Minasian just came from another organization, he'd have a good idea of whether a team besides the Angels would pick a player and keep them on their roster for the whole season.

I am also interested to see if Minasian makes any trades/waiver claims today. The Angels have two open 40-man roster spots and plenty of expendable guys on the 40-man roster, so they have that flexibility available if the right player is out there.

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

I am also interested to see if Minasian makes any trades/waiver claims today. The Angels have two open 40-man roster spots and plenty of expendable guys on the 40-man roster, so they have that flexibility available if the right player is out there.

Not sure about trades and waiver closings, but I would expect him to be aggressive and advantageous on non-tendered players like Carlos Rodon.

• 2 weeks later...

If they take anyone it will be a reliever. I say they could take an infielder to replace Barretto, but only the guy from The Dodgers in the article makes any sense. However, there are several pitching names that could be of interest.

I know that I am way late to this conversation @Stradling but I'd chime in that leaving a guy exposed to Rule 5, sometimes, isn't so much about their potential ability, but merely the fact that the acquiring team will need to keep that player on their active roster all year, which is a big gamble on players who are, generally speaking, unproven at the Major League level. So someone like Naughton might be seen as a decent complimentary player but few teams will be willing to gamble that he will impact their roster or chances to compete at the tender age of almost 25.

Really it is only the rebuilding teams that will take a flyer and even those handful of teams will be looking for the diamonds in the rough that they think have enough upside to take a gamble on. Certainly, there are prospects that are worth looking at but those types are few and far between, year-to-year. Thus the Brandon Marshes and Chris Rodriguez' of the world get protected and the Packy Naughton's of the world are put at-risk (a calculated risk).

I would even argue that all Major League teams have a board of all Major and Minor League players ranked and those teams understand the threshold of value that a given player needs to exceed in order to be considered a significant risk to be picked up in the Rule 5 Draft. Composite scores are probably the norm (and if they are not, they should be) and the Angels clearly feel comfortable exposing him, knowing that the likelihood is low he will be selected.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels pick someone up in the Rule 5 Draft.

They have the 40-man roster space as of now, and they can hold onto the guy they pick until they find out whether or not rosters will be 26 or expanded to something like 28.

15 hours ago, Trendon said:

I wouldn't mind seeing the Angels pick someone up in the Rule 5 Draft.

They have the 40-man roster space as of now, and they can hold onto the guy they pick until they find out whether or not rosters will be 26 or expanded to something like 28.

I'm gonna guess that Perry grabs someone from the braves org like a Thomas Burrows or Corbin Clouse (yes, I had to look those guys up).  

• mmc changed the title to 2020 Rule 5 Draft (Pirates select Jose Soriano)
  • mmc changed the title to 2020 Rule 5 Draft (Pirates select Jose Soriano, Angels select Jose Rivera)

Per Fangraphs, re: Rivera:

Perhaps the loosest, most fluid on-mound athlete in the system, Rivera struck out just shy of 30% of opposing hitters for the second straight year in 2019. He began the season in Extended before joining Low-A Quad Cities in a piggyback role, usually working three or four innings per outing, mostly with his monster fastball and power breaking ball, from which he adds and subtracts when he’s trying to get back into counts. The longer arm action, mostly two-pitch mix, fringe control and age/level/40-man timeline funnel Rivera toward the bullpen, and he might be very scary if his heater has another gear in single innings.