• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Astros (9/6/2020) - Let's go for the SWEEP!

Chuck

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Maddon is a Scioscia clone. The season is lost and the idiot goes on a winning streak to fuck up the draft. 

I looked it up and I was surprised to see that the number of #1 overall MLB draft picks to win a World Series with the club that drafted them was as high as it was. Heck, our very own Angels are represented on the list. But it's still only five guys out of 55 so far; Strawberry, Chipper, Erstad, Pat Burrell, and Carlos Correia.

In fact, The Asterisks had three first overall picks in a row and only Correia made it to the bigs, let alone win it all.

So, no thank you. I'd rather see them play well than tank for a one in eleven crapshoot.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Imagine if the Halos had the A’s pen, and the A’s had ours.

A’s starters: 4.60 ERA and 1.40 WHIP

A’s relievers: 2.20 ERA and 1.10 WHIP

Whoever is GM in 2021, better start taking bullpens seriously!

I always felt a lockdown pen can be just as valuable than great starting pitching. 

You can get by with mediocre starting pitchers with a great pen.

You can get by with a mediocre oen with great starting pitching.

What you cant have is both mediocre starters and relievers.

Edited by stormngt

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

Imagine if the Halos had the A’s pen, and the A’s had ours.

A’s starters: 4.60 ERA and 1.40 WHIP

A’s relievers: 2.20 ERA and 1.10 WHIP

Whoever is GM in 2021, better start taking bullpens seriously!

I'm hoping we can start sorting some of that out now.  Pena looked great until the last few appearances.  Quijada looks like he has some potential.  Mayers has been a pleasant surprise.  

That said - look at last year.  Robles and Buttrey were rather dominant on the whole.  Robles has been awful this year and Buttrey has been mediocre at best.

Bullpens are really volatile on the whole.  Hopefully, whoever is putting things together for next year can help patch things together.  

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Bullpens are really volatile on the whole.  Hopefully, whoever is putting things together for next year can help patch things together.  

This and exactly this! It's very risky to throw resources willy-nilly at relievers because they are so volatile. One year they can be lights out and the next year, they can be a big steaming pile of horseshit.

I live in Jersey so I get a lot of Mutts chatter. Stankees too, for that matter. Anyway, it was rather amusing being a close witness to the dumpster fire that was Edwin Diaz's 2019 season. This just a year after he had arguably the best season any "modern" reliever has ever had.

13 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

This and exactly this! It's very risky to throw resources willy-nilly at relievers because they are so volatile. One year they can be lights out and the next year, they can be a big steaming pile of horseshit.

I live in Jersey so I get a lot of Mutts chatter. Stankees too, for that matter. Anyway, it was rather amusing being a close witness to the dumpster fire that was Edwin Diaz's 2019 season. This just a year after he had arguably the best season any "modern" reliever has ever had.

Yeah.  I would avoid tossing money at relievers for this reason.  We have a lot of holes on this team, and all things considered, I'd rather spend it on SP.

Last season, Robles and Buttrey were dominant to start the year.  Buttrey wore down with overuse, but Robles was still fantastic.

This year?  Robles has been so terrible that he's likely a non-tender candidate this offseason.  And, of course, the Diaz example you cited is just one of many instances of things like this happening.

12 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  I would avoid tossing money at relievers for this reason.  We have a lot of holes on this team, and all things considered, I'd rather spend it on SP.

Last season, Robles and Buttrey were dominant to start the year.  Buttrey wore down with overuse, but Robles was still fantastic.

This year?  Robles has been so terrible that he's likely a non-tender candidate this offseason.  And, of course, the Diaz example you cited is just one of many instances of things like this happening.

We at least need to get a reliable closer. Isn’t Liam Hendriks a free agent this upcoming offseason?