• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 49.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Blarg

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

That is an interesting point of view.  I think using any kind of political ideology as a framework for right faith is foolish and most likely just a way of validating said political ideology.

i completely reject any link of faith and politics.

More and more my hypothesis is that they cannot co-exist. Politics is substitute for faith in my view.

40 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

Here's one example. Those who act callously toward undocumented immigrants are ignoring a host of Scriptures in which God calls his people to love foreigners. You might say, "Just because someone is against illegal immigration doesn't mean they hate people from other countries." That's totally true. However, from my theological standpoint, I don't understand how you can say you love or have compassion for someone but support politicians and policies that disenfranchise the people you claim to care about. 

It's not about caring or not caring about the person, it's about upholding the law.

People who need food to feed their families shouldn't be allowed to steal from a store, not because we don't care about them, but because it's against the law.

1 hour ago, mtangelsfan said:

That is an interesting point of view.  I think using any kind of political ideology as a framework for right faith is foolish and most likely just a way of validating said political ideology.

i completely reject any link of faith and politics.

I don't see it as using my political ideology to validate my faith, but the other way around.

51 minutes ago, Lou said:

It's not about caring or not caring about the person, it's about upholding the law.

People who need food to feed their families shouldn't be allowed to steal from a store, not because we don't care about them, but because it's against the law.

But what if a law is unjust? Before the Civil Rights movement, there were plenty of unjust laws that required protesting and working against the system to overturn.

3 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

But what if a law is unjust? Before the Civil Rights movement, there were plenty of unjust laws that required protesting and working against the system to overturn.

Who decides it's unjust?  If you believe a law is unjust, it doesn't give you permission to break it - you work to change the law.  

39 minutes ago, Lou said:

Who decides it's unjust?  If you believe a law is unjust, it doesn't give you permission to break it - you work to change the law.  

In most cases, yes. Do you think Rosa Parks was a criminal for refusing to move to the back of the bus? 

1 hour ago, Franklin Bluth said:

I don't see it as using my political ideology to validate my faith, but the other way around.

Then you judge anyone who doesn’t have the same ideology , that is when religion breaks down 

you validate your faith with how you live, not by how you vote.

Edited by mtangelsfan

29 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Then you judge anyone who doesn’t have the same ideology , that is when religion breaks down 

you validate your faith with how you live, not by how you vote.

Do you not find it problematic when a fellow believer in Christ holds a view that seems to contradict the message of the gospel? Judging someone is basically saying, "You're going to hell because you believe this/said this/did this." Calling out Christians for harming the message of the gospel isn't about being judgmental, although admittedly, it can slip into that territory if we're not careful. Chuck felt judged by some of the things I was saying, so I reflected and realized my tone had been a judgmental one. But I still believe many of his views are incompatible with the gospel.

Regarding your second statement, isn't voting itself an action? If I say I love my neighbor but vote for a policy that disenfranchises my neighbor, what does that say about my belief?

16 minutes ago, Franklin Bluth said:

Do you not find it problematic when a fellow believer in Christ holds a view that seems to contradict the message of the gospel? Judging someone is basically saying, "You're going to hell because you believe this/said this/did this." Calling out Christians for harming the message of the gospel isn't about being judgmental, although admittedly, it can slip into that territory if we're not careful. Chuck felt judged by some of the things I was saying, so I reflected and realized my tone had been a judgmental one. But I still believe many of his views are incompatible with the gospel.

Regarding your second statement, isn't voting itself an action? If I say I love my neighbor but vote for a policy that disenfranchises my neighbor, what does that say about my belief?

Of course I do, I find some of your views problematic.  I also don’t associate that with your faith.  There are great Christian men and women who vote completely opposite from each other.  Do you really think one side or the other don’t understand their faith well enough or are getting it wrong?

That is a dangerous road to go down my friend.  A road that leads to thinking your faith is better because you pull a lever or mark a sheet differently than someone else

Also I can think of thousands of things I could do that would have more impact in this world than casting a vote.

16 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Of course I do, I find some of your views problematic.  I also don’t associate that with your faith.  There are great Christian men and women who vote completely opposite from each other.  Do you really think one side or the other don’t understand their faith well enough or are getting it wrong?

That is a dangerous road to go down my friend.  A road that leads to thinking your faith is better because you pull a lever or mark a sheet differently than someone else

Also I can think of thousands of things I could do that would have more impact in this world than casting a vote.

I agree with you.