• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trumped

• Replies 50k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UndertheHalo

• Lou

• Jason

• Taylor

57 minutes ago, LHalo said:

Take EBT cards away and those jobs will be filled in a week. 

This is just not true.  even when they offer wages well above minimum wage they struggle to find "American" field workers.  

49 minutes ago, LHalo said:

Whatever you do, don't let the market decide wages!

The market on its own leaves us with a massive class of working poor.  Do you believe that is conduscive to a harmonious society ?  As automation becomes more prevalent labor will continue to be pressured into lower wages relative to cost of living.  Most people won't be doctors or lawyers or engineers.  There's a balance that has to be struck here. 

Edited by UndertheHalo

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

This is just not true.  even when they offer wages well above minimum wage they struggle to find "American" field workers.  

That's because living off welfare and other government handouts is easier for American citizens. While would Joe Blow pick almonds for a living when he can swipe a government card at Walmart for free?

Just now, LHalo said:

That's because living off welfare and other government handouts is easier for American citizens. While would Joe Blow pick almonds for a living when he can swipe a government card at Walmart for free?

I think you greatly exaggerate ease of access to welfare and number of people living off the government teet.  Also, the standard of living that welfare provides is just miserable.  Being on welfare blows dick my friend.  Only the most worthless among us would choose and be satisfied with that life. 

But to be clear, I'm all for any action to curb abuse of government assistance. 

On 3/11/2016 at 6:12 PM, Geoff said:

(AJ - that's what you order when you have a $250 Per Diem.  I actually wanted the salmon, but the center cut was more expensive.)

I thought you were kidding when you said you were born without a gag reflex or moral compass. My bad.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

I think you greatly exaggerate ease of access to welfare and number of people living off the government teet.  Also, the standard of living that welfare provides is just miserable.  Being on welfare blows dick my friend.  Only the most worthless among us would choose and be satisfied with that life

But to be clear, I'm all for any action to curb abuse of government assistance. 

There are plenty of folks like that out there. God knows we don't need more

Unemployment is at 4.4%.  Is "they terk err jobs!" really an issue?

Meanwhile

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21725608-then-why-are-fruit-and-vegetables-rotting-fields-waiting-be-picked-if-america

Farms are feeling this effect. According to the NEA, the farm-labour shortage accounted for $3bn in lost annual revenue between 2002 and 2014. Partly because production cannot keep up with demand, 

California, which produces a third of America’s vegetables and two-thirds of its fruits and nuts, has been particularly affected. The Farm Labour Survey and US Census of Agriculture record that the state lost nearly 40% of its agricultural workforce between 2002 and 2014. 

2 hours ago, Rico said:

Unemployment is at 4.4%.  Is "they terk err jobs!" really an issue?

Meanwhile

https://www.economist.com/news/united-states/21725608-then-why-are-fruit-and-vegetables-rotting-fields-waiting-be-picked-if-america

Farms are feeling this effect. According to the NEA, the farm-labour shortage accounted for $3bn in lost annual revenue between 2002 and 2014. Partly because production cannot keep up with demand, 

California, which produces a third of America’s vegetables and two-thirds of its fruits and nuts, has been particularly affected. The Farm Labour Survey and US Census of Agriculture record that the state lost nearly 40% of its agricultural workforce between 2002 and 2014. 

It is the wages they keep low.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

And thus a large part of why nobody has actually tried to control immigration

Totally agree.  Big business wants nothing to do with keeping low wage workers from entering this country.  

16 hours ago, nate said:

Preferring people that speak English is so stupid

I'm not so sure I agree with that.

16 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Why?

15 hours ago, LHalo said:

That's a good question.

6 hours ago, LHalo said:

Glad to here you think immigration should be controlled. 

I here that its thyme four you too leave, @LHalo.

Gather your belongings, please. We'll be at your door by the end of the day.

Fear not, though. We'll let someone in that actually knows how to use words properly and you'll be able to see them MAGA from wherever we send you. 

40 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Curbing legal immigration serves what purpose? I understanding curbing illegal immigration, but this is about people who are trying to get here legally.

This is a very simple way of looking at it so it might be more complicated than this but I thought one of the reasons why illegal immigration is an issue is that legal immigration is not very speedy (which to a certain extent I am okay with). If the process is slowed down even more, is there a potential for even more illegal immigration happening?

52 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is a very simple way of looking at it so it might be more complicated than this but I thought one of the reasons why illegal immigration is an issue is that legal immigration is not very speedy (which to a certain extent I am okay with). If the process is slowed down even more, is there a potential for even more illegal immigration happening?

I guess we'll find out if this bill passes. 

I tend to think these changes don't really change anything domestically.  I just don't believe in the idea that immigration is a significant factor in the suppression of wages.  That said, among the problems I have with the populist agenda.  This is pretty low on the list.  Most western nations are not easy to emigrate to.  

It should also be noted that most western countries offer their citizens more in terms of entitlements then the US.  I think that rationalizes their strict approach to immigration more then what the Trump administration is trying to do with ours.

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 hours ago, LHalo said:

Try doing that for a while and then get back to me, let me know how it goes.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

That's a good point. One of the justifications pro-choice people use for abortion is that if it were illegal, more people would have illegal, unsafe abortions. Won't curbing legal immigration just motivate more people to immigrate illegally?

I read that if the Trump provision were in place in the late-1800s, Trump's own grandfather (who didn't speak English) would likely not scored enough "points" to be allowed in.

In all seriousness, I actually totally take your point. Social welfare programs should be built from the ground up with the intent of re-introducing people to society and the working force, otherwise they will dampen economic output of the system. That means that we should probably be investing more in medicine and mental health help for these people, but hey, I guess maybe we don't want them working. Cuz we hate our economy or something.

1 hour ago, Taylor said:

That's a good point. One of the justifications pro-choice people use for abortion is that if it were illegal, more people would have illegal, unsafe abortions. Won't curbing legal immigration just motivate more people to immigrate illegally?

I read that if the Trump provision were in place in the late-1800s, Trump's own grandfather (who didn't speak English) would likely not scored enough "points" to be allowed in.

Oh, if only that time machine worked...