• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

2 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Still waiting for some recommendations for literature, studies, books, etc. that argue that systemic racism doesn't exist. I'm sure MAGA has something since cals clearly does not.

I'm guessing various case law and legislation that we've had over the years would suffice. 

39 minutes ago, calscuf said:

All the shit you read that says there is systemic racism use the expected symptoms of systemic racism as proof. 

But when these factors can be explained by other things (like socioeconomic status) it's like saying " I know for a fact that I have Covid" when in fact that person has a cold. 

They can be explained by other things, but there is overwhelming research that says race is a factor. That's all I'm trying to say. Perhaps all of this research was conducted by extremely biased individuals, but it's out there.

Here's one example of a scholarly study that involves traffic stops.

https://5harad.com/papers/100M-stops.pdf

We assessed racial disparities in policing in the United States by compiling and analysing a dataset detailing nearly 100 million traffic stops conducted across the country. We found that black drivers were less likely to be stopped after sunset, when a ‘veil of darkness’ masks one’s race, suggesting bias in stop decisions. Furthermore, by examining the rate at which stopped drivers were searched and the likelihood that searches turned up contraband, we found evidence that the bar for searching black and Hispanic drivers was lower than that for searching white drivers. Finally, we found that legalization of recreational marijuana reduced the number of searches of white, black and Hispanic drivers—but the bar for searching black and Hispanic drivers was still lower than that for white drivers post-legalization. Our results indicate that police stops and search decisions suffer from persistent racial bias and point to the value of policy interventions to mitigate these disparities.

These researchers analyzed the data and came to this conclusion. If you have a study that refutes this data and/or interpretation, I'd love to read it. Honestly. I'll read it with an open mind. 

Edited by Taylor

13 minutes ago, calscuf said:

So if I write a book with all of my opinions, will you buy it and change your opinion? Cause what you are asking for is just that. Opinions. 

No, I'm asking for interpretations of data, which is different than opinions. But you knew that.

15 minutes ago, calscuf said:

False.  Again, these “books”  use statistics related to symptoms.  Then they use that data to formulate opinions as to causes.  That’s it.

Like your study that discusses minorities being pulled over.  Did it reveal the ethnicity of the cops who pulled them over?  I bet not.  And I bet many of those stops were made by police who are minorities themselves and/or the same race as the person getting pulled over.  Can a Mexican be racist against a Mexican?  Can a black be racist against a black?

The race of the cops is irrelevant if we're talking about whether the system is unfair to citizens of color.

Again, please show me a study that refutes systemic racism.

I was walking into costco yesterday and there was a mexican dude waiting for a parking spot and some fat ass black lady just swooped in and took it, then made her way over to the food court to probably buy herself a pizza for dinner.

I wish the mexican guy made a scene out of it

5 minutes ago, m0nkey said:

I was walking into costco yesterday and there was a mexican dude waiting for a parking spot and some fat ass black lady just swooped in and took it, then made her way over to the food court to probably buy herself a pizza for dinner.

I wish the mexican guy made a scene out of it

That's an interesting story. Have any more?

16 minutes ago, Taylor said:

The race of the cops is irrelevant if we're talking about whether the system is unfair to citizens of color.

Again, please show me a study that refutes systemic racism.

I'm struggling to understand what this means.

For racism to take place, it requires a human being to display prejudice based off of ethnicity/skin color. "The system" as you so aptly put it, is not a human. 

Are you suggesting that black cops pulling over black thugs at crazy rates is not the black cop being racist, but that he is compelled to do so by some all powerful racist "system?" Has skynet taken over and i didn't realize it?

17 minutes ago, calscuf said:

If one cannot be racist against his own race, then it can’t be racism.  And you’ve failed to show me examples of what you believe is systemic racism.

Maybe he’s talking about how blacks kill more blacks than white people do. I dunno. 

22 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

I'm struggling to understand what this means.

For racism to take place, it requires a human being to display prejudice based off of ethnicity/skin color. "The system" as you so aptly put it, is not a human. 

Are you suggesting that black cops pulling over black thugs at crazy rates is not the black cop being racist, but that he is compelled to do so by some all powerful racist "system?" Has skynet taken over and i didn't realize it?

Person-to-person prejudice involves making judgments about someone based on their skin color, gender, religion, etc.

Systemic or institutional racism is the policies, norms, and practices (conscious and unconscious) that result in members of a dominant group contributing to the marginalization of a people group based on their skin color. It's sounds very heady and theoretical, but it's a real concept that has been identified and studied since the 1960s. There's even a Wikipedia page for it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institutional_racism

The study I linked to earlier looked at close 100 million traffic stops and found that, according to the statistics, black people and other minorities are objectively more likely to be pulled over than white people in broad daylight, but after the sun goes down, the disparity evens out. Our friend cals brought up a fair point: did they differentiate between white cops, black cops, Hispanic cops, etc.? My point was, the race of the cops doesn't matter if the data reveals that minority drivers are more likely to be pulled over than white drivers, except at night when it's more difficult to see who is driving the vehicle. To me, that indicates a system in which police are trained (consciously or unconsciously) to see minorities with more suspicion than white people. Why would a person from the allegedly marginalized group participate in systemic racism? It's a complicated question with many complicated answers, but that very question has also been studied for decades.

Edited by Taylor