• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Protests and Riots Thread

13 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't believe I've called out any of you (well, maybe KC) for being guilty of anything. I apologize if I've personally attacked you in any way.

Everyone knows you mean well. Most libs do. You do tend to over estimate your intelligence and that of your professor heroes. Education is good but at some point common sense and life experiences have to guide you. I imagine you probably don't share much in common with average Americans. 

California ski resort changing name, citing offensive word

California’s popular Squaw Valley Ski Resort will change its name because the word “squaw” is a derogatory term for Native American women, officials announced Tuesday. The site was the scene of the 1960 Winter Olympics.

The decision was reached after consulting with local Native American groups and extensive research into the etymology and history of the term “squaw," said Ron Cohen, president and COO of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows.

The word “squaw,” derived from the Algonquin language, may have once simply meant “woman.” But over generations, the word morphed into a misogynist and racist term to disparage Indigenous women.

“While we love our local history and the memories we all associate with this place as it has been named for so long, we are confronted with the overwhelming evidence that the term ‘squaw’ is considered offensive,” Cohen said.

Work to find a new name will start immediately and is expected to be announced next year, he said.

When settlers arrived in the 1850s in the area where the Sierra Nevada resort is now located, they first saw only Native American women working in a meadow. The land near Lake Tahoe was believed to have been given the name Squaw Valley by those early settlers.

Link

55 minutes ago, Redondo said:

California’s popular Squaw Valley Ski Resort will change its name because the word “squaw” is a derogatory term for Native American women, officials announced Tuesday. The site was the scene of the 1960 Winter Olympics.

The decision was reached after consulting with local Native American groups and extensive research into the etymology and history of the term “squaw," said Ron Cohen, president and COO of Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows.

The word “squaw,” derived from the Algonquin language, may have once simply meant “woman.” But over generations, the word morphed into a misogynist and racist term to disparage Indigenous women.

“While we love our local history and the memories we all associate with this place as it has been named for so long, we are confronted with the overwhelming evidence that the term ‘squaw’ is considered offensive,” Cohen said.

Work to find a new name will start immediately and is expected to be announced next year, he said.

When settlers arrived in the 1850s in the area where the Sierra Nevada resort is now located, they first saw only Native American women working in a meadow. The land near Lake Tahoe was believed to have been given the name Squaw Valley by those early settlers.

Link

I went to Squaw Valley after a huge 3 day storm and rode down KT-22 on fresh, untracked powder. That was quite the experience after years of riding So Cal snow. 

7 hours ago, Redondo said:

Link

Why do you care what a private business decides to do with how they're named and marketed? The beauty of living in a free and capitalistic society is that companies can conduct business as they please. If their clientele disagrees with their decision to change their name, they'll choose to no longer support this particular business with their dollars.

If McDonald's decided to rebrand themselves MAGAdonald's, I'd probably still eat there every couple months when I get tired of INO.

11 hours ago, calscuf said:

You haven’t.  And most of us consider you to be a very good person.  But frankly you’re naive to some things and easily manipulated by things you read.  

You aren’t helping black people by indulging BLM.  If you want to help black people, help a black person on an individual level.  Maybe be a mentor to a black child or donate to a college fund.  BLM is misguided and has no attainable goal (other than dismantling police departments which is insanity itself).  

I recognize I don't have all the answers. We'll see how history shakes out.

Just now, Make Angels Great Again said:

Apparently it's homicide to defend yourself from a crowd mobbing you and trying to take your rifle.

Unless he was defending his property or home, it's a rather stupid idea to show up to a riot. I can understand defending your city but you're asking for trouble with that.