• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Laptop

Broad Street

Get another Lenovo, quality wise they seem to be the ones that hold up the best.

I know LT has good experiences with HP but I strongly suggest against it.  I have had two of the cheaper HP models over the last five years and both of them started falling apart/failing after one year.

I would say get a Lenovo again, as well.

My HP, similar to the model LT listed, just took a shit after just over two years (99.9% motherboard fried from heat even with a fan mat). While looking at options, shopping around, and talking to various IT guys almost all told me to stay away from HP. The fan constantly was over working and was loud as hell, but also a sign they kept showing me was I had a hinge crack on the base that was just poor design and build of the shell.

I'm using a MacBook Pro now and I hate Apple, but can't deny this laptop seems to be pretty good and have not even noticed a heating issue. But I think these are relatively expensive.

The general consensus from everyone's input seems to be Lenovo, Dell, and Acer with regards to value (quality v. price). I liked my Sony, but didn't get a good recommendation for another. Same with Toshiba. HP got the lowest regard from everyone. (I liked the HP and the cracks weren't a big deal although the hinge would have ended up being an issue down the road. But the heating and internal design was not well liked by everyone and is the issue I ran into)

I have a Dell 15Z Ultrabook and I love it.  It was $1500 but the equal spec MBP would have been $2200.  MBP's are better made but the quality isn't that low on the Dell.  Only issue I have is the cheap plastic border they put around the aluminum came loose almost right after I bought it.  The other major difference is even though it is a 1920x1080 display, the display quality is nowhere near the quality of the IPS displays on the MBP's.

When people ask me about laptops I usually tell them to go on Dell's website and buy the one that fits in your price range.  Unless you don't mind paying a premium, and you don't mind using the Mac OS, then if you can afford it, you can't go wrong, just know that you are paying a premium for quality but also brand name.

I forgot to mention, the Lenovo worth looking at is the X Series, I believe. It's the entry level of the work/multimedia selection they offer. It has similar specs to their higher end casual laptops, but the build for the use of work type laptops thus better ventilation and fan system. It seems to be the best of both worlds as it's a regular laptop and light, but with the upgraded cooling system to protect your investment.

I think it runs around $600-$650. Their site always has deals and I think they had some dark brown colored one that was about $100 off, or so.

I have a Dell 15Z Ultrabook and I love it.  It was $1500 but the equal spec MBP would have been $2200.  MBP's are better made but the quality isn't that low on the Dell.  Only issue I have is the cheap plastic border they put around the aluminum came loose almost right after I bought it.  The other major difference is even though it is a 1920x1080 display, the display quality is nowhere near the quality of the IPS displays on the MBP's.

When people ask me about laptops I usually tell them to go on Dell's website and buy the one that fits in your price range.  Unless you don't mind paying a premium, and you don't mind using the Mac OS, then if you can afford it, you can't go wrong, just know that you are paying a premium for quality but also brand name.

you can really run any OS on any laptop.

on my MBP i have OSX, a handful of linux distros and a couple flavors of windows.

If I had to buy a new laptop today, I'd get one with the touch screen since most  are loaded with Win8.

That limits your  (my) selection.

Who makes Lenovo?

That's what I was thinking also.  Win8, and probably all future windows versions will rely more and more on the touchscreen.  I'd strongly consider getting a touchscreen laptop.  

Of course downside is they are still on the pricey side.  

Some people don't like Dells.  But I'm on my 4th generation Dell Laptop, with 3 of 4 still working.  I'd recommend them.