• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

New Laptop

Broad Street

Some people don't like Dells.  But I'm on my 4th generation Dell Laptop, with 3 of 4 still working.  I'd recommend them.

I have had two Dells, and it's been a mixed bag. I have a desktop that is pretty much bulletproof, still running strong (Win Vista). My laptop, well...we paid a lot of money for it to get additional features. The hard drive failed, the touch pad quit working, and when I sent it back to Dell for a warranty repair on the latter, they returned it with the same problem I had when I shipped it. Now it doesn't even boot up, loads the Windows flash screen and shuts off.

Totally disagree. All five of us in our family have spent under $400 ea on Toshiba laptops over the years. Except for the kids being careless they have all worked for years.

two of my boys had Toshibas that had problems at less than two years including overheating and fan issues and keys falling off the keyboard.

I have had two Dells, and it's been a mixed bag. I have a desktop that is pretty much bulletproof, still running strong (Win Vista). My laptop, well...we paid a lot of money for it to get additional features. The hard drive failed, the touch pad quit working, and when I sent it back to Dell for a warranty repair on the latter, they returned it with the same problem I had when I shipped it. Now it doesn't even boot up, loads the Windows flash screen and shuts off.

Sounds like a bad hard drive.  They are pretty cheap on ebay to replace.  If you want, I can look at it, and try and figure out what's wrong.  I was suprised how easy laptops are to fix, when my last laptops video card went dead.  And considering how much I gamed on it, it's not surprising.

well the biggest difference in price is not build quality. The higher priced laptops are typically higher performance. What it boils down to is whatever brand you choose, get a laptop that will handle what you will be using it for. I happen to like HP and Asus, you like Toshiba. Fine by me.

Wiki has the scoop re Lenovo/IBM.  Under a different name, Lenovo (CHINA) bought IBM's PC division. I didn't think IBM was successful in that area at all. Big Blue is still in business (mainframes) AFAIK.

BestBuy has an ASUS touch screen laptop for 450$. No DVD drive. . . . Cheapest I've seen.

The first PC I had to buy myself was an HP Pentium 4 desktop bundle (monitor/keyboard/speakers).  Expansion bays. I paid what I thought was a LOT for that - 700$ I think in 2002. But it lasted over 5 years before the power supply/fan thingy gave out and I had that replaced. Then it lasted another 2 years. My HP wireless laptop  is about 6 years old but it is slow as the dickens loading pages (X/P but it was Vista compatible) even though I use it as a backup PC and don't have a lot of "stuff" on it and I never did do the free upgrade to Vista. :mellow:

I've got one of those in the garage but it's missing the boot disk.

Back in my early days with computers (IBM PC and PC-XT days, before anything was mouse driven), Compaq came out with a "portable" computer that looked like the one in your photo (in fact, that may be it). "Luggable" is how my boss phrased it. These things had to weigh at least 30 pounds. The screen was monochrome and it was small even by early 1980s standards. The handle was on the back of the keyboard, and it snapped into the main case with spring loaded tabs. When the springs started to wear out or the tabs began to crack from supporting the weight of the machine for too long, sometimes the keyboard would abruptly detach from the main unit with usually catastrophic results.

Sounds like a bad hard drive.  They are pretty cheap on ebay to replace.  If you want, I can look at it, and try and figure out what's wrong.  I was suprised how easy laptops are to fix, when my last laptops video card went dead.  And considering how much I gamed on it, it's not surprising.

I appreciate the offer. At this point it probably isn't worth making another investment in it. It's a Win XP machine, and as cheap as replacements are (and since the OS is no longer supported, AFAIK), it's probably time to move on - if I decide that I need a laptop at all. Most things I was using a laptop for, I can now do on my iPhone. I'm not one to take work home from the office, and the laptop was mainly for vacations and times when the two desktops were in use (which never happens now, since my stepchildren are grown). I wasn't doing any heavy duty computing with it.

I appreciate the offer. At this point it probably isn't worth making another investment in it. It's a Win XP machine, and as cheap as replacements are (and since the OS is no longer supported, AFAIK), it's probably time to move on - if I decide that I need a laptop at all. Most things I was using a laptop for, I can now do on my iPhone. I'm not one to take work home from the office, and the laptop was mainly for vacations and times when the two desktops were in use (which never happens now, since my stepchildren are grown). I wasn't doing any heavy duty computing with it.

if basically everything you need to do on a laptop you can do on an iphone - get a chrome pad for $250 and hook it up to an external monitor. 

done.

they are awesome.

if basically everything you need to do on a laptop you can do on an iphone - get a chrome pad for $250 and hook it up to an external monitor. 

done.

they are awesome.

Thanks for the tip. That may be what I do. I do heavy duty computing from time to time, but that isn't what I bought my laptop for.

Toshibas generally are not solid. I had a Satellite that was good, but in general a lot of IT guys I know don't like them.

I have no experience with the Google product, but it sounds up your alley. To my knowledge it's just for browsing and simple tasks. A great price and I assume great product.

While we debate products, you can get just about anything as long as the cooling system is above average and/or you have a portable cooling mat underneath. Fried motherboards seem to be the biggest problem.

Since my wife's HP took a dump we bought her an iPad 4 and it does everything she needs.  She occasionally uses my computer to put together spreadsheets or word documents for stuff she volunteers for at the school but other than that she can do everything with the iPad.

Back in my early days with computers (IBM PC and PC-XT days, before anything was mouse driven), Compaq came out with a "portable" computer that looked like the one in your photo (in fact, that may be it). "Luggable" is how my boss phrased it. These things had to weigh at least 30 pounds. The screen was monochrome and it was small even by early 1980s standards. The handle was on the back of the keyboard, and it snapped into the main case with spring loaded tabs. When the springs started to wear out or the tabs began to crack from supporting the weight of the machine for too long, sometimes the keyboard would abruptly detach from the main unit with usually catastrophic results.

Yep, that is a Compaq in the picture. Compaq bought out AST.