• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Checking the spring training progress of Angels top prospect Jo Adell

TEMPE, Ariz. >> About halfway through the exhibition schedule, top prospect Jo Adell has showed both his promise and the need to clean up a few parts of his game.

Adell, 20, is hitting .318 (7 for 22) in big league exhibitions with the Angels.

“He’s been on time with his swing,” Manager Joe Maddon said Monday. “He’s catching up to heavy velocity right now. He uses the (opposite field) gap well. You know, there’s a couple little technique things in the outfield, which I’ve already we’ve talked to (outfield coach Jesus) Feliciano about that and I think he’s gonna get better.”

Offensively, Adell has had trouble making contact, striking out 11 times already. He has not drawn a walk.

“He’s 20,” Maddon said. “He’s probably going to cut down on that as he gets more experience. … If Jo’s strikeouts to walks are disproportionate, it’s probably because he might be chasing a little bit more than anything. That’s not technique in a sense, but that is a mental approach that might need to be clarified. And that happens from time. Everybody wants these guys in the big leagues right now. Sometimes you have to earn it. Always you should have to earn it.”

Adell came into a camp with an outside shot of making the Opening Day roster. Adell spent just about a month at Triple-A at the end of last season, so it was likely that he’d open this season at Triple-A and be up in the majors later in the season.

CUTTING FOR A CAUSE

Maddon hosted “Balding All Angels” before Monday’s game. Maddon, several coaches and players and general manager Billy Eppler had their heads shaved in a show of support for the cause. The event benefited Miller Children’s and Woman’s Hospital in Long Beach.

Maddon has hosted similar events, although with different names, each spring since 2012, as manager of the Tampa Bay Rays and Chicago Cubs. His charitable foundation, Respect 90, has raised about $350,000 since its inception.

VERSATILE FLETCHER

David Fletcher was scheduled to finish Monday’s game in center field, which he said would be the first time he’d played center field in a game at any level. The Angels had expanded his role to include the corner outfield spots a couple years ago.

“He’s a great athlete,” Maddon said. “I think he can do anything. I think he could catch. … I think if you give him a challenge, he’ll figure it out.”

ALSO

Brandon Marsh took live batting practice on Monday morning. Marsh, who has been out for a couple weeks with a sore non-throwing elbow, could get into an exhibition game later this week. …

Cam Bedrosian is going to be sidelined for a few days with back stiffness. Bedrosian is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Wednesday and pitch in a game on Friday. …

The Angels are expected to start making their first cuts of the spring on Tuesday.

View the full article

1 hour ago, Pancake Bear said:

Yet all the dopes will still say, “He’s got to earn it? He’ll magically earn in three weeks into the season cuz service time manipulation!”

🙄

i think we don't see him for longer than 3 weeks. i don't think this is a kris bryant situation. i think adell could legitimately use a partial season in AAA.

10 minutes ago, ukyah said:

i think we don't see him for longer than 3 weeks. i don't think this is a kris bryant situation. i think adell could legitimately use a partial season in AAA.

Exactly. His approach at the plate needs more refinement. I’m speculating around June, but we’ll have to wait and see. He’s not too far, but still needs time. 

Every step of his production showed high strike out totals when he moved up a level. This is no different. What also showed us is he adapted at every level and those strike outs went down, and his OBP rise. He is still a kid competing against guys years ahead of him so AAA would probably make sense to start the year. 

Yeah, I'm all for him starting in AAA, for a few reasons:

1. He needs time to refine his approach.

2. Goodwin can gain a bit of trade value by playing.

3. I'd like to see what Hermosillo does with more playing time, assuming he gets any.

There's no rush. Adell is going to be stud, but he's only going to be truly great if he works on his contact issues. It will be the difference between him hitting .260 with 30 HR and .290  with 40. That's the different between a good player and a superstar.

He will be fine like Joe said in the interview he is having a little plate discipline issue up in the zone. Also, probably has a little bit of trying too hard to get his 1st HR out of the way. Which also shows as his minor league #'s when the k's get high he adjusts and the OBP% increases.

We call that time. He is an athlete and a nice kid.

I watched a couple games last weekend. I will put up some video later today.

He'll adapt, and quick. But he definitely needs more time. That strikeout to walk ratio is all you need to know, really. It's been a concern for a while, and it can't be understated: his K rate is worse than Brandon Wood's ever was in the minors. 

No I'm not saying he's going to be another Brandon Wood. I'm just pointing out that despite how incredibly athletic and talented he is, there are still red flags that he needs to take care of before he earns a spot on the big league club.