• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Preventing Cheating

Stradling

So I have read some ideas and had a couple of thoughts that might help deter this wave of cheating.  

The obvious answer is have MLB employees that work each game that are in the dugout/clubhouse for each and every game.  This person can go from dugout to dugout depending who is up to bat.  Pay each of these guys $1 million a year, and have 15-20 of them just to make sure you have alternates for illness and what not.  If by chance this person is sick and they can’t get an alternative for that game then no computers are allowed in the clubhouse for that game and both teams replay coach (whatever that person is called) will work in the same workspace to ensure the other isn’t cheating.  The reason for the $1 million salary is simple, to help prevent bribes.  Now here is my way to fund this $15-20 million.  The team that gets caught cheating must fund this, until the next team is caught cheating, then they are on the hook.  So if this plan was in place right now, Houston would be on the hook.  If no one else is caught cheating for the next 20 years, then Houston continues to pay that cost.  What are your thoughts.  

10 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

1 million dollars a year to check dugouts lol. You’re just giving away millions. You sound like a politician. 

Well if it isn’t enough they’ll be susceptible to bribes.  I don’t care what it cost, the cheaters are paying for the personnel. 

Keep it simple. Make a list of things that are not to be allowed and keep it big picture without regard to method. Any non-uniformed person found to be in contact with uniformed personnel during a game with regards to the banned practices and their entire supervisory chain, up to the President of baseball ops, are gone. Done

19 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Snipers in the stands is my plan. You cheat, you die.

10 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Bat flippers get a bullet in the leg. Crouch grabbers get fingers shot off. 

Tough day at work, grich?

I’ve seen quite a few suggestions around. Two best options to me: 

- Nats style: Have a detailed set of complicated signs you switch up regularly on a laminated card that the catcher and pitcher both have. 

Or,

- NFL style: Earpieces to call signs between pitcher and catcher. 

I think there will already be some hesitance to go for it for general managers and coaches because it’ll cost them their jobs if caught. Players won’t be punished, but players can’t do it alone and coaches/management have reason to prevent them now. 

The problem with wireless earpieces is the catcher’s talking to the pitcher will be heard by the batter. They are just too close for the batter to not hear.

I think replacing the major league rubber on the mound with one that has lights embedded in it is a possibility but there are other complications with that. I prefer the digital devices on the wrist the pitcher and catcher that the catcher can send messages to the pitcher on. That seems like a better silent solution. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

So I have read some ideas and had a couple of thoughts that might help deter this wave of cheating.  

The obvious answer is have MLB employees that work each game that are in the dugout/clubhouse for each and every game.  This person can go from dugout to dugout depending who is up to bat.  Pay each of these guys $1 million a year, and have 15-20 of them just to make sure you have alternates for illness and what not.  If by chance this person is sick and they can’t get an alternative for that game then no computers are allowed in the clubhouse for that game and both teams replay coach (whatever that person is called) will work in the same workspace to ensure the other isn’t cheating.  The reason for the $1 million salary is simple, to help prevent bribes.  Now here is my way to fund this $15-20 million.  The team that gets caught cheating must fund this, until the next team is caught cheating, then they are on the hook.  So if this plan was in place right now, Houston would be on the hook.  If no one else is caught cheating for the next 20 years, then Houston continues to pay that cost.  What are your thoughts.  

Terminate all usage of team video equipment 15 minutes prior to first pitch.  Game footage to be supplied to teams after final pitch with a copy sent to MLB. One additional umpire or MLB sanctioned "watchdog" tasked to monitor dugout and player movement in and out of dugout/clubhouse area.  Like the umpires, these positions would rotate from series to series.

Rules/CBA punishment options.

Fines, plus the forfeiture of draft picks and international slot money with the additional loss of roster spot(s) on the 26 and 40 man rosters at the team level.  81, 162, 364, game suspensions for front office and ownership levels with lifetime bans/forced sale of team as a nuclear options.  The loss of roster spots to serve as a punishment to both the team from a competitive level and the players as an economic one. 

At the player level..... fines, suspensions coupled with the forfeiture of salary, and the dissolution of contracts as a nuclear option.

They need to make the whole "integrity of the game" talk mean something.  

Go big or go home.

35 minutes ago, GregAlso said:

The problem with wireless earpieces is the catcher’s talking to the pitcher will be heard by the batter. They are just too close for the batter to not hear.

I think replacing the major league rubber on the mound with one that has lights embedded in it is a possibility but there are other complications with that. I prefer the digital devices on the wrist the pitcher and catcher that the catcher can send messages to the pitcher on. That seems like a better silent solution. 

Not hard to use codes. Just like playcalling in the nfl. Maybe something similar to now, just with words. A bunch of random numbers, but the 3rd number is the actual pitch. 

How to prevent cheating is simple.  Stop micromanaging the game.

When the batter steps into the batters box.  Throw the damn ball.  Not wait 1 minute exchanging signs between the bench, catcher, to the pitcher.  Then have the pitcher do a 30 second staredown trying to psych out the batter.  

The slower the pace, the greater the chance to cheat.  

Other benefits, would be the game wouldn't be 3+ hours long.  

27 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

How to prevent cheating is simple.  Stop micromanaging the game.

When the batter steps into the batters box.  Throw the damn ball.  Not wait 1 minute exchanging signs between the bench, catcher, to the pitcher.  Then have the pitcher do a 30 second staredown trying to psych out the batter.  

The slower the pace, the greater the chance to cheat.  

Other benefits, would be the game wouldn't be 3+ hours long.  

Umm, a lot of the current slow down is complicated signs and changing signs so the signs aren’t stolen. So yeah.