• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Thoughts on Preventing Cheating

Stradling

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Well it is true that it does slow the game down. But it is just one of 20 things that slows the game down, so I don’t see that as a big reason not to do it. 

And as far as I know it’s still up to a human to watch the signs and try to break the code. A computer doesn’t do it. 

All I’m saying is there are endless ways to disguise your signs. You also can use signs besides just fingers. 

A catcher is no different than a third base coach. 

Just watched a Yes Network interview with Jomboy and he describes an app made to decode pitcher’s signs in 5 pitches. So maybe a computer can be used to break sign sequences. It was tweeted out today. 

8 hours ago, floplag said:

id like to see your source on that if you please?
You may well be right, i couldnt find the numbers in a quick search this morning,  but it would seem to go against the prevailing wisdom of the moneyball era.
If guys are intentionally going up there with a different mindset and OBP has risen as averages have fallen, this would seem to be a little counter intuitive wouldnt you think?

it's on fangraphs.  

in the last 30 years, obp peaked in late 1999/2000.  Which is not what moneyball is about anyway.  

It's using analytics to find market inefficiencies.  

Right now it's about exit velo and launch angle.  Spin rates and tunneling.  etc.  

Just about every swing is with the intent of hitting a hr.  

5 hours ago, Dochalo said:

it's on fangraphs.  

in the last 30 years, obp peaked in late 1999/2000.  Which is not what moneyball is about anyway.  

It's using analytics to find market inefficiencies.  

Right now it's about exit velo and launch angle.  Spin rates and tunneling.  etc.  

Just about every swing is with the intent of hitting a hr.  

Very well thanks for that answer, but again that wasnt exactly my question.
I was looking for total pitches thrown, not OBP.   I could not find that stat in my checks oddly enough im sure i just didnt look right. 

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Total Pitches: 

Last 10 Years - +2.5%

Last 20 Years - +2.7%

"guys are intentionally going up there with a different mindset and OBP has risen" 

OBP: 

Last 10 Years - Down 3.5% From .333 to .323

Last 20 Years - Down 6.4% From .345 to .323

"Or more accurately, the number of pitches taken. No one is going up there to be aggressive and hit anymore, they are going up there to take pitches and try to get on base."

The trend in baseball is not taking pitches to get on base. It is hitting the ball in the air (launch angle) really hard (exit velocity). HR's are up 34% and strikeouts are up 27% and walks are down 13% in the past 10 years.

Thank you, thats literally all you had to post instead of the bullshit. 

18 minutes ago, RBM said:

I let you know yesterday with my first reply that your narrative was wrong and the opposite was actually true but you were unwilling or unable to accept it until now. No BS, fact based reasoning only.

It raises some other questions but i wont bother you with them, lol 

3 hours ago, RBM said:

I let you know yesterday with my first reply that your narrative was wrong and the opposite was actually true but you were unwilling or unable to accept it until now. No BS, fact based reasoning only.

giphy.gif

What about the opposite approach on this issue.  Let both teams have a live camera in CF pointed at the catcher.  They want to relay information to the batter, go ahead.  Make it a level playing field.

You want the other team to not know what the next pitch is, mix up your signs.  Or better yet, let them figure it out, then switch it up on them.  Get the batter ready to reach out at that off speed pitch, and cross him up with a little chin music.

The Athletic has an article from Evan Drellich today on what MLB’s plans are to prevent in the future. Some possibilities (nothing set in stone yet, but they’re working out a plan the season to be released by opening day).

Short version: No leaving the dugout down the tunnel for players except bathroom use. No phones or other electronic use by players during the game. Video room moved far away from the dugout and only allowed to talk to them about replay challenges. 

Basically, pitchers going to have to defend themselves, or they’re idiots.

Later possibility that won’t be available for this season: Special wrist devices that scramble signs every pitch that are synced for the pitcher, catcher, and whatever other infielders need it. So the catcher would still use a sign, but it would change every pitch, making it impossible for anyone to decode. 

28 minutes ago, RBM said:

I hope this doesn’t happen. Actually, I doubt MLB does this. It’s a really, really bad idea. MLB needs to ensure teams do not have access to real time video. This is the issue. Players should be allowed to look at their last at bat during a game. Nothing wrong with that.

Can you imagine if the NFL outlawed the iPads and tablets used to game plan on the sidelines? This is that. 

Let teams/players game plan during the game but keep them from cheating in real time. That is the issue. 

You can doubt it, but here’s the quote: 

“MLB will have a revised policy addressing electronic sign-stealing in 2020 that could produce significant change. Player use of video during games in any capacity, such as a review of at-bats, could end. More extreme, but perhaps more secure, is the possibility that players would have to remain in the dugout once a game begins, barring exceptions for injuries (and bathroom breaks). Once in the dugout, they stay in the dugout.

Nothing has been decided at this point, but the league’s hope is to finalize its policy as soon as possible. Before spring training would be ideal, but the key is to have something in place come the beginning of the regular season, on March 26.”

It does seem unfair to punish all players because of the cheating of some. 

I like the idea of the wristbands to coordinate signs between the pitcher and catcher. Wish they could do that right away. Sign stealing would be done at that point. 

15 minutes ago, RBM said:

I'm not sure what you mean when you say that it can't be done. I'm not saying do away with instant replay. I'm saying regulate it so there is no dugout access for teams.

That was already supposed to be the case. It can be evaded. You just have to be ahead of MLB's prevention. Like Boston was in 2018 per the Athletic. The reason I say it can't be done is that the only way you can do it is by eliminating replay. Otherwise a team employee has access, and if the team is innovative enough, they also have access. That's why trying to mess with video access really isn't the answer. 

One method might be blurring the catchers signs on the feed somehow. 

Hire an extra ump for each game and have that person patrol the dugouts.  So they have 5 man rotation of umps.  Maybe the guy that was behind the plate automatically goes to the dugout the next game.  It allows you to bring up more minor league umpires, allows you to make nice with the umpire union and creates 15 more major league jobs.