• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB needs the Angels in the playoffs

Second Base

The Angels are the one team outside of Boston or a New York that I believe could captivate an audience. Boston and New York are popular because of brand recognition and history, not because they're particularly exciting. The best part of a Yankees game probably happens before the first pitch is thrown, during BP. Judge and Stanton playing HR Derby basically.

But the Angels.... That would be a HR for MLB, pun intended. They play in the second largest market in the country. If the Dodgers make the playoffs, you've got both LA teams vying for the title, one National, one American, blue vs red, etc...

The Angels have not only the best player in baseball, but probably the greatest to ever play the game, and folks would love to see some heroics from him in October. Trout on the biggest stage has been something they've been without for so long, the build up would be insane.

And then there's the unicorn, Shohei Ohtani. The Angels are the only team with a player if this caliber. He's an elite cleanup hitter and an elite ace starting pitcher. He has the potential to be the best power hitter to come out of Japan, and the best pitcher as well. He's just entering his prime, and no player could get even a fraction of international viewers to tune in, that Shohei would. It would be insane.

And then there's Pujols. Clearly, just a wrinkled shell of what he once was, but this would be marketed as his last hurrah. The greatest Dominican player of all time returning one last time to the biggest stage in baseball, to make some magic happen and say his farewell.

Then you've got Simmons, who is Ozzie Smith with the glove, does things in the infield that no one has ever seen before and for the most part, fans are still unaware of just how special he is. I know I was before the Angels traded for him. 

Do you remember how popular David Eckstein was? We've got another one of him in David Fletcher. 

How about that storyline that the Angels finally have Scioscia's successor, and it's the guy who was supposed to succeed him all along. The most vibrant, marketable manager in baseball, Joe Maddon.

If audiences are looking for an exciting young player that can charismatically be the face of baseball in the 2020's, look no further than Jo Adell. Young, African American, good looking guy, with speed and power. He's even got a white best friend with long hair and a beard that you can market him with in Brandon Marsh, who is just as fast and athletic, assuming Billy doesn't trade him.

And finally there's Anthony Rendon. A playoff hero. One of the smoothest, coolest and best players in the game. No moment is too big for him.

It would be REALLY beneficial for all parties involved, if the Angels made the playoffs in 2020 and went far.

Edited by Second Base

14 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Yeah I’m sure people would love to watch a rotation of Ohtani-Bundy-Heaney-Canning-Teheran in the playoffs

Look, I don't mind disagreeing with the status quo. AW is very optimistic toward the Angels, and that's perfectly understandable. But I think that comment was just in spite, or poor taste. I'm really hoping we see Ryu in an Angels uniform, as I've said from the very start.

Let's face it: The Angels are rather like the White Sox and the Mets, a distant second in a two-team market in terms of popularity. Even if the Angels get in the playoffs, I doubt that it would be regarded as more than a curiosity by most fans. It won't make for riveting television for most people.

About as riveting as watching Pujols hit into a 6-4-3 double play with the bases loaded and one out in the ninth.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Look, I don't mind disagreeing with the status quo. AW is very optimistic toward the Angels, and that's perfectly understandable. But I think that comment was just in spite, or poor taste. I'm really hoping we see Ryu in an Angels uniform, as I've said from the very start.

Regardless I’m sure Trout, Rendon and Ohtani would spark more interest than most any other team. 

21 minutes ago, Kevinb said:I don't know but I can't imagine the World Series between the Angels and Giants was a hugely popular one. They don't care if the Angels are in the playoffs or not. They care about the Yankees Dodgers Boston and Chicago. Everything else is just dressing. 

Philly?

The Angels in and of themselves are boring, but they have a number of marketable players, which gives them a leg up on the average other average team. So, I mean, vs. Oakland, Tampa, Cleveland, Minnesota, Texas, Houston? The Angels would be preferred by MLB, IMO, at least for now. 

MLB doesnt give a flying fuck about the angels. never have.  Not one of thier writers could probably name the lineup outside of Trout/Rendon.
They care about 5, maybe 6 teams, and were not one of them.
That having been said whether or not we make the playoffs is up to us, we have the means, weve chosen not to use them.  WE have little to blame but ourselves.