• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How about Marcus Stroman?

Chuck

7 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Ground ball pitcher that would fit in with the Halos nicely!  The Mets signed Wacha and Porcello and have Thor, deGrom and Matz. 

Could he be had for a Sandoval type or some combo of Suarez/Sandoval and Rengifo?

Walks are up, hits are also up. A Blantonesque 9.8 hits/9inn last year, 3.5 BB. The 3.76 career ERA is pretty decent though.

He'll be a free agent in 2021 and we'll have to pony up a gazillion dollars to re-sign him. That seems to be where the pitching salaries are headed.

I would NOT trade Sandoval for him under any circumstances.

He’d be a good fit with our defense and I would also think Eppler could probably lock him into an extension before next winter. 

The downside is that the Mets want to move money, and he’s one of their likelier (if he is available) and only catalysts in facilitating a deal like that where they dump Lowrie, Familia, or Ramos. 

I could see a team like Oakland, who’s interested in Lowrie, stepping in here, taking Lowrie and Stroman, hell maybe even Ramos since he only has a year left, and offering enough (Pinder?) to pull them back. Lowrie replaces Profar/Pinder as a UT guy. 

5 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Walks are up, hits are also up. A Blantonesque 9.8 hits/9inn last year, 3.5 BB. The 3.76 career ERA is pretty decent though.

He'll be a free agent in 2021 and we'll have to pony up a gazillion dollars to re-sign him. That seems to be where the pitching salaries are headed.

I would NOT trade Sandoval for him under any circumstances.

You're just looking at his numbers with the Mets.  Overall last year, he gave up a hit per inning and walked 2.8/9IP, basically in line with career averages.

The Mets have "the deepest rotation in the league" according to thier GM, lol  after adding Wacha and Porcello.  They could afford to lose him and he is in the final year of his deal before FA so if they dont think they can keep him they might deal him, and he would fit nicely, but im not sure i want to go the rental path 

7 hours ago, Sean-Regan said:

Is Kluber a rental? I figure our window is only about 5 years anyway. So two years doesn’t seem awful to me if it doesn’t cost too much. Fletcher’s estimate was maybe Rengifo and another lesser prospect. That might be slightly low. 

that's a fair deal.  just no one year rentals.  

The thing about one year rentals like Stroman, is that you can either spend a ton in prospects now and then a ton more in money just to keep them around, or you can just wait a year, save your prospects and just spend the money instead. 

Does Stroman for what the Angels are looking for? Yes. Does it make sense to trade for him right now? No. Not with guys like Ryu and Keuchel on the market.

Spend money, not prospects. 

Except on Kluber. Since he has an option next year too, spend the prospects.

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

The thing about one year rentals like Stroman, is that you can either spend a ton in prospects now and then a ton more in money just to keep them around, or you can just wait a year, save your prospects and just spend the money instead. 

Does Stroman for what the Angels are looking for? Yes. Does it make sense to trade for him right now? No. Not with guys like Ryu and Keuchel on the market.

Spend money, not prospects. 

Except on Kluber. Since he has an option next year too, spend the prospects.

you only grab the rental when that's the last thing you need.  

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

Is there something about Rengifo that makes him a valuable trade piece? He was also mentioned in the Kluber trade. 

Young guy, good defense, enough pop and the speed and OBP are there, he just needs the game to slow down for him at the major league level. Just needs the reps. 

Give it 2-3 years and he's going to be that guy that gets on base 37% of the time, steals 20-30 bags, his 10 HR's, plays great defense and is a fire in the clubhouse and a good teammate. 

Rengifo is going to be good, someday soon. 

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Young guy, good defense, enough pop and the speed and OBP are there, he just needs the game to slow down for him at the major league level. Just needs the reps. 

Give it 2-3 years and he's going to be that guy that gets on base 37% of the time, steals 20-30 bags, his 10 HR's, plays great defense and is a fire in the clubhouse and a good teammate. 

I don’t see it ... I see a average replacement player. He’ll probably get traded and become a all-star for another team. 

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

he's redundant now.  I don't want to trade him personally because I think he's gonna be really good but it's our best path to getting a good pitcher.  

IMO he's redundant only if there is an intent to keep Simmons beyond 2020.... otherwise he's got a path to an everyday job at either SS or 2B.   I wonder how much stock the organization is putting on Jam Jones AFL performance -- because he might ultimately be what makes Rengifo easier to trade.

5 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

I don’t see it ... I see a average replacement player. He’ll probably get traded and become a all-star for another team. 

You see a replacement level player but you think he might turn into an All star?    I'm sure something was lost in translation for me, because I don't follow your reasoning.

5 hours ago, Second Base said:

People are putting too much stock into his batting average last year, you see it constantly brought up by fans commenting on him..  meanwhile he's managed as .321 OBP as a 22 year old with less than 115 minor league games played above High A...     Had he played the entire season in AA last year instead of the Angels he would have been two years younger than the average player in the Southern League...