• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vernon Wells...the Agent

Mark68

As long as guys like Tony Reagins can be a GM, a guy like Vernon ("effin") Wells can be an agent.  

Ugh, was having a bad day already - didn't really need to hear Vernon Wells' name 🤮

p.s. - to be fair, I don't blame Wells at all - seems like a decent guy - but that trade ranks among the worst in baseball history for sheer, obvious, apoplectic stupidity - and that stupidity was glaringly obvious on the day it was made, not like many that looked fair at the outside only to blow up in retrospect.

29 minutes ago, DCAngelsFan said:

As long as guys like Tony Reagins can be a GM, a guy like Vernon ("effin") Wells can be an agent.  

Ugh, was having a bad day already - didn't really need to hear Vernon Wells' name 🤮

p.s. - to be fair, I don't blame Wells at all - seems like a decent guy - but that trade ranks among the worst in baseball history for sheer, obvious, apoplectic stupidity - and that stupidity was glaringly obvious on the day it was made, not like many that looked fair at the outside only to blow up in retrospect.

i'm giving you extra credit for using "apoplectic."

5 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Who were the Angels braintrust who were responsible for that trade?

I seem to remember Sosh's fingerprints on that one.

probably, but it was made by reagins. i think it was terrible tony's first trade as GM.

6 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Who were the Angels braintrust who were responsible for that trade?

I seem to remember Sosh's fingerprints on that one.

If I remember correctly, when we missed out on Beltre or Crawford Arte was so gung ho about bringing in a big name that he threatened Reagins job if he didn’t get someone or pull the trigger on this trade.

I think it’s been well documented from people that were involved or part of the organization at the time.

One of the worst knee jerk reaction and trades of all-time.

The year before he was traded Wells had one if not the worst contracts in baseball.  After having one of the 3 best seasons of his career at age 31 someone in the FO thought he was worth acquiring.  On the bright side that trade probably led to some of the best threads over the years considering who they traded for him.

10 minutes ago, Tank said:

that trade ended up well for only napoli. he would go on to the world series 4 times after we shipped him and rivera to toronto, winning with boston in 2013.

Actually the opposite, Toronto turned around and flipped Naps to Texas, if I remember correctly.

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Actually the opposite, Toronto turned around and flipped Naps to Texas, if I remember correctly.

right, and after landing in texas, he got to the WS twice with the rangers, once with boston, and once with cleveland. that turned out pretty well for napoli.

4 minutes ago, Tank said:

right, and after landing in texas, he got to the WS twice with the rangers, once with boston, and once with cleveland. that turned out pretty well for napoli.

I never applied that philosophy, especially when multiple teams are involved. He bounced around the league which isn’t a good sign.

It’s like saying us trading Edmonds for Bottenfield and some throw in named Adam Kennedy won us the WS in 2002 because Kennedy hit three homer us in the ALCS.

If Toronto keeps him maybe none of it happens. Luck of the draw.

That was one of those trades that was clearly terrible even at the time it was made. Like most trades you can talk yourself into on some level, even the bad ones.... Then you realize how bad they were later on. But that trade was obviously a giant steaming turd from the get go.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

If I remember correctly, when we missed out on Beltre or Crawford Arte was so gung ho about bringing in a big name that he threatened Reagins job if he didn’t get someone or pull the trigger on this trade.

I think it’s been well documented from people that were involved or part of the organization at the time.

One of the worst knee jerk reaction and trades of all-time.

what's funny is that if we had signed Crawford everybody would have been celebrating.