• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Vernon Wells...the Agent

Mark68

This is what I remember about the thread but could be wrong. I believe it was Scott 34 that was pumped about the trade and kept pointing people to Wells 2010 numbers. There were the die hard  Napoli fans, like josquin, that hated it. For the most part I think some were  hesitant to embrace the trade for one reason, the money. They neither hated it or loved it. It was known at the time that Wells was extremely overpaid for the production he put on the field and most baseball fans thought Wells couldn't possibly be traded due to that contract, considered one of the worst in baseball.

At the time the trade was announced , it wasn't known if any money was being sent to us for Wells' contract. I think people were waiting to see if we would get anything of value monetarily besides Wells. After all the Blue Jays were desperate to get of that contract, surely Reagins knew this and could take advantage. When it turned out that Tony only got the Jays to pitch in $5 million , I think people began to hate it and in turn, felt like Tony got fleeced and he wasn't that great of a GM.

Wells power to shallow left field only made it worse. 

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

This is what I remember about the thread but could be wrong. I believe it was Scott 34 that was pumped about the trade and kept pointing people to Wells 2010 numbers. There were the die hard  Napoli fans, like josquin, that hated it. For the most part I think some were  hesitant to embrace the trade for one reason, the money. They neither hated it or loved it. It was known at the time that Wells was extremely overpaid for the production he put on the field and most baseball fans thought Wells couldn't possibly be traded due to that contract, considered one of the worst in baseball.

At the time the trade was announced , it wasn't known if any money was being sent to us for Wells' contract. I think people were waiting to see if we would get anything of value monetarily besides Wells. After all the Blue Jays were desperate to get of that contract, surely Reagins knew this and could take advantage. When it turned out that Tony only got the Jays to pitch in $5 million , I think people began to hate it and in turned, felt like Tony got fleeced and he wasn't that great of a GM.

Wells power to shallow left field only made it worse. 

My opinion at the time from what I remember was that we had somehow given up the best player in the deal (Napoli) plus one more useful player (Rivera) for someone that couldn't be considered reliably productive but would cost significantly more than the two players we traded. We got hosed on both the talent and money side somehow. Of course, nobody anticipated just how horrible Wells would actually be here, but it would've been a bad trade even if he'd had a decent season (say an .800 OPS). 

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

we're talking about the Vernon Wells trade from 8 friggin years ago because this off season is slow as f**k.  

Oh... 

Well like @True Grich, not my finest online moment. 

I had some inside info on what a douche Napoli was , how poorly he worked with our pitching staff and I thought since we missed out on Crawford it was a good move in that we'd get a decent middle of the order bat that could at least give us 25-30 HR and 85-100 RBI. I also thought he'd improve our defense as we'd have a centerfielder who was good in Toronto to a corner position. 

lost john locke GIF

When Wells played his first year in Anaheim he was only one of two starting players with an OPS+ below 100. The other was Jeff Mathis. That year Howie Kendrick lead all players with a 126 OPS+. That was the Angels all pretty much average team with no standout player. They finished 2nd in the AL West, 10 games out of 1st.

I forgot about this:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/news/story?id=6340678

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Vernon Wells acknowledged he has been trying too hard at the start of his Los Angeles Angels career.

Angels manager Mike Scioscia benched Wells Tuesday night in the midst of a 1-for-26 slump.

"There have been a lot of pitches I've fouled off that normally I would have crushed," Wells said. "It's a combination of just missing pitches and maybe trying to do too much."

It hasn't been a smooth transition to the West Coast so far for Wells, who is batting .091 after his first 44 at-bats with the Angels. The Angels traded Mike Napoli and Juan Rivera to the Toronto Blue Jays for Wells in January, taking on all but $5 million of the remaining $86 million on his contract.

In Wells' last two games, he has heard scattered boos at Angel Stadium. In addition to his struggles at the plate, he lost track of how many outs there were during Sunday's game, allowing two Blue Jay runners to take extra bases. Jered Weaver was able to pitch out of the jam.

21 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I'm gonna be honest, your little birdies haven't been all that great.

Those were people I knew working in the media or formerly connected with the team that fed me stuff that was talked about internally but never came to fruition, you know like the same rumors you see on Twitter from people all day long. 

This however was a fact from an employee that I trusted and respected that had insight into what went on in the clubhouse on a daily basis.