• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Justin Upton for David Price?

Second Base

Upton-Price  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Would you trade Justin Upton for David Price?

Just now, Lou said:

Boston won't want Upton 

Plus, that eats up $11M we have to spend this offseason

In my opinion it has less to do with that and more to do with Upton has a no trade clause and wants to be here.  That is probably the biggest issue with this entire thing.  

But to your point and piggy backing off of what they are talking about, when you look at annual payroll you would still go after Cole, and then you’d go after a #2 pitching (Odorizzi or whoever) and Price would be your 3rd starter for that $11 million.  

The more I think about it, the math just isn't there.  

Adell and Marsh are close to being ready, but both probably need another year before you hand them a full time job.  Maybe even 2 years.  You're already likely to have a platoon in RF with Goodwin for at least the first part of 2020.  So realistically, you're gonna have to spend about 8-10 mil on an OFer if you lose upton.  

That means the combined cost of Price plus an OFer is around 40m.  

Upton costs 21 mil in 2020.  A 19m pitcher is going to be better than price and Upton is likely better than an 8m OFer.  

The math gets a little better in 2021 but you better be sure that Marsh and Adell are both ready at that point or you're still hunting for another OFer.  Plus, at that point, David Price is 35.  

Let's say you could get a guy like Wheeler for 17m per for 4 yrs.  Just for the sake of the the math, you pay him 19m in year one, and 17m in yr 2

In years 1 and 2 you've got Upton and Wheeler for the same cost as Price plus some other OFer.  In year 3, the cost goes up, but you still have Wheeler at age 32 instead of price at age 36 and at that point, Upton can you your RHed DH.  By that third year, you'll know much better if Adell and Marsh are going to be able to handle a starting job.  

I'm with Lou on this one.  

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

The way they are spinning it is they are only paying the difference between Upton and Price.  

Which is perfectly fine because otherwise we keep Upton no matter what. So the payroll increase is only the difference between Upton and Price, whereas another starter of his caliber is adding close to $20 million.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Which is perfectly fine because otherwise we keep Upton no matter what. So the payroll increase is only the difference between Upton and Price, whereas another starter of his caliber is adding close to $20 million.

keep reading

25 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

you'd have to replace Upton so it's not just 3/34 for Price.  

Not difficult. The defensive advantage that Adell/Marsh would offer can make this closer than you think. Base running value too. 

Shoot, you could re-up Calhoun for 5 million on a one year deal and recoup that value. 

I'm not saying Upton is bad, I'm just saying he's grown to become an increasingly one dimensional player and if we are assessing the based in WAR, it doesn't really favor one dimensional guys as much.

11 hours ago, RBM said:

Yes, but two concerns. 

1. Who plays LF in 2020? Marsh is not ready.  

2. We would be picking up an additional $24 M over the next 3 years. I doubt the Red Sox would pick up any of that.

why is marsh not ready? he's destroying the AFL.

1 minute ago, RBM said:

Why do you think he is MLB ready?

i'll answer this way, which will capture the angel plans and many of their fans, if not you. the AFL is the last proving ground for a big time prospect before the majors. there is no higher test. adell and marsh are killing the AFL this year, and marsh is outperforming adell head to head. it's well known that the angels are planning on adell for 2020 in right field. so, the question is if adell is ready, then why isn't marsh?

1 minute ago, RBM said:

How many games did he play with SLC last year?

just went right over my answer to you. i'm not dismissing your opinion. i gave you an answer. i'll do the question routine again. how many prospects have skipped AAA?