• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Do you think the Angels will heavily pursue Anthony Rendon?

mmc

Just now, Stradling said:

My priority list

Ace type of starter

a 2nd tier starter

an innings guy that could be a #4 starter

catcher

bat

I think the first two are clear. The next two really depend on who you get for the first two and how much you spend. I think a third starter will require a trade.

I think Grandal is a really good fit for this team and if we can't manage to bring in Cole I'd like to see some of that money diverted to signing him. We are going to need a Justin Bour type to spell Albert at first a lot more often next year, and I think this is a way Grandal could fill two roles.

12 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I think the first two are clear. The next two really depend on who you get for the first two and how much you spend. I think a third starter will require a trade.

I think Grandal is a really good fit for this team and if we can't manage to bring in Cole I'd like to see some of that money diverted to signing him. We are going to need a Justin Bour type to spell Albert at first a lot more often next year, and I think this is a way Grandal could fill two roles.

I agree on Grandal, but I expect them to fill in 1B starts with some combination of Ward, Walsh,and Thaiss. Thaiss in particular has shown flashes of major league ability. I can see him turing into a Mitch Moreland type.

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Bour is still on the team 

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I agree on Grandal, but I expect them to fill in 1B starts with some combination of Ward, Walsh,and Thaiss. Thaiss in particular has shown flashes of major league ability. I can see him turing into a Mitch Moreland type.

They probably will go this route, but Im not really high on any of these guys. I think it's a safe bet to project 0 WAR from this group given the roughly 300-400 AB's that are bound to be available. I'm gona go out on a limb now and say, if they don't add anyone here we probably get 0 war between C and 1B combined.

Sign Cole. 24 first two years more after 

Sign Rendon. 24 first two years, more after that.

Trade Cozart, $5M, Calhoun And one of the infielders for Samardzija. $12M for 2020.

Sign Grandal. $16M per 3 years. $72M would be a huge increase in salary.

Win World Series.

42 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

They probably will go this route, but Im not really high on any of these guys. I think it's a safe bet to project 0 WAR from this group given the roughly 300-400 AB's that are bound to be available. I'm gona go out on a limb now and say, if they don't add anyone here we probably get 0 war between C and 1B combined.

If they sign Grandal, I can see him getting some 1B/DH starts, but I just don't see a reason to sign another platoon 1B. Not only do they have Ward/Thaiss/Walsh (none of whom I'm in love with, but at least one of whom should be decent enough), but eventually Upton may be pushed to 1B if Marsh matures quickly. I could even see La Stella getting a few starts at 1B, if Rengifo takes a step forward.

6 hours ago, Stradling said:

So they won’t sign Cole?

I honestly don't think the Angels do. Having 30 million plus tied up to Trout and Cole and 20 plus tied up to Pujols and Upton. I just don't think Arte will shell out that kind of money. But I could be wrong. I just think it gets super pricey and I am not so sure that, that's the way to build a consistent winner. 

Just now, Kevinb said:

I honestly don't think the Angels do. Having 30 million plus tied up to Trout and Cole and 20 plus tied up to Pujols and Upton. I just don't think Arte will shell out that kind of money. But I could be wrong. I just think it gets super pricey and I am not so sure that, that's the way to build a consistent winner. 

Arte knows the fans are impatient. He's pissed after losing 90 games for the first time as an owner. He knows Trout's legacy is in his hands (Arte's also). He's almost certainly pissed about the Harvey/Cahill moves falling apart last year. He won't settle for 2-3 mid range guys again. Even if he only gets one guy, he'll insist they go after an ace, whether that's Cole or Strasburg.

1 minute ago, Sean-Regan said:

Arte knows the fans are impatient. He's pissed after losing 90 games for the first time as an owner. He knows Trout's legacy is in his hands (Arte's also). He's almost certainly pissed about the Harvey/Cahill moves falling apart last year. He won't settle for 2-3 mid range guys again. Even if he only gets one guy, he'll insist they go after an ace, whether that's Cole or Strasburg.

Fans are just that fans. They still bought tickets again over 3 million this year. Fans being impatient shouldn't matter in terms of what you do as an organization. What do you think the fans being impatient mean to Arte and his bottom line? 

Just now, Kevinb said:

Fans are just that fans. They still bought tickets again over 3 million this year. Fans being impatient shouldn't matter in terms of what you do as an organization. What do you think the fans being impatient mean to Arte and his bottom line? 

That's the difference between you and me. I think Arte cares a lot about his bottom line. I don't think that's the only thing he cares about. If it was, he would've sold the team by now. Besides, signing Cole or Strasburg and another starter on the cheap (3-5mil) won't be outside the team's budget. They have 30-35mil to spend.

26 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

That's the difference between you and me. I think Arte cares a lot about his bottom line. I don't think that's the only thing he cares about. If it was, he would've sold the team by now. Besides, signing Cole or Strasburg and another starter on the cheap (3-5mil) won't be outside the team's budget. They have 30-35mil to spend.

He would have sold the team by now? There are only so many teams to own in the world. He is a smart business man and it gets him at the table in terms of people who own American sports teams. I think he has a bottom line and we have seen what that mark is of late. around the 160-170 million dollar range. I don't see him surpassing it to a crazy degree. Maybe 5 or 10 million over I just don't think smart business people make dumb business moves simply to appease some impatient fans. You also didn't answer what impatient fans mean to him? Like does it mean he is going to not sell 3 million seats? Or what? I think baseball fans in general are a slightly less impatient bunch than the other major sports. Baseball fans in general I think are more patient, you kind of have to be. The first round pick in other sports plays right away in the other sports in baseball you may be lucky to see them in 2-3 years. 

That's inconsistent. Which is it? Prestige or money he wants?

If it's money, he'd sell the team. If it's prestige, he wants to get back to the playoffs. He sure as heck doesn't want to be the guy who never got Trout postseason glory. 

Having 3mil fans and never going anywhere with it? That's what you do when you own the Pirates. Arte has spent money. He obvious cares about competing. This is just silly that he'll go cheap. 

You can point to prior years, but the reality is that he knew we were rebuilding. That is no longer the case. 

1 hour ago, Angelsjunky said:

If they sign Grandal, I can see him getting some 1B/DH starts, but I just don't see a reason to sign another platoon 1B. Not only do they have Ward/Thaiss/Walsh (none of whom I'm in love with, but at least one of whom should be decent enough), but eventually Upton may be pushed to 1B if Marsh matures quickly. I could even see La Stella getting a few starts at 1B, if Rengifo takes a step forward.

I agree, which is why I think it's a potential problem. They are likely to role the dice and come up empty. Grandal fills an obvious hole at catcher and mitigates the risk at 1B. I don't think signing a stop gap. part time 1B is a good use of resources at this point but having a flexible roster should be to goal here.

9 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

If it's money, he'd sell the team. If it's prestige, he wants to get back to the playoffs. He sure as heck doesn't want to be the guy who never got Trout postseason glory. 

Having 3mil fans and never going anywhere with it? That's what you do when you own the Pirates. Arte has spent money. He obvious cares about competing. This is just silly that he'll go cheap. 

You can point to prior years, but the reality is that he knew we were rebuilding. That is no longer the case. 

I never once said he’d go cheap. I just don’t think at the end of the day he will go much higher than his avg payroll salary he’s been at over the last couple years. I think if he does the highest he will go will be 180 but I think that’s it. I guess we will see what he does this offseason. Just because he doesn’t sell doesn’t mean he’s not smart. These teams continue to go up in value. Just because your house went up 100k in value doesn’t mean you automatically have to sell. He’s making a profit every single year and he has write offs. He’s a very smart business man who’s investment has gone up an insane amount from when he bought it. People don’t continue to throw stupid money at teams to lose money. There’s obviously a reason people are buying these teams at enormous amounts. Maybe one day these prices will fall but it doesn’t look like it’s happening any time soon. Kansas City Royals just sold for what?

23 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

This is an interesting take. We are talking about a guy who allowed this team to not field a left fielder for multiple seasons following the Hamilton debacle. There have been many chances to spend money to try and push this team above the .500 mark and he has not done it. Obviously we are in a better position now, but I'm not sure why we should expect him to throw a lot of money at similar problems when he didn't in the past.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

This is an interesting take. We are talking about a guy who allowed this team to not field a left fielder for multiple seasons following the Hamilton debacle. There have been many chances to spend money to try and push this team above the .500 mark and he has not done it. Obviously we are in a better position now, but I'm not sure why we should expect him to throw a lot of money at similar problems when he didn't in the past.

Rebuilding situation in the past. And this is a situation where they’re at least 2-3 years away if they don’t throw money at the problem. You don’t spend big when you’re rebuilding. You spend big when you’re close but need to fill holes. 

@Kevinb so Arte cares enough to fire the manager, but not enough to sign Cole?  When it is known that we are on Cole’s short list?  I don’t buy it.  Plus there is a huge difference between “selling” 3 million tickets and actually selling 3 million tickets at close to face value, and have actual bodies sitting in those seats.  That happens when you put a good product on the field.  A smart business man like Arte knows this as well.  They have $35 million coming off the books.  They could easily sign Cole and another starter and simply play with the figures until Albert comes off the books, then the following year Upton comes off the books.  At that point the only expensive player that needs extended is Ohtani.  This is the sweet spot where you can add some payroll because of what you have coming off the books over the next three years.  

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

I never once said he’d go cheap. I just don’t think at the end of the day he will go much higher than his avg payroll salary he’s been at over the last couple years. I think if he does the highest he will go will be 180 but I think that’s it. I guess we will see what he does this offseason. Just because he doesn’t sell doesn’t mean he’s not smart. These teams continue to go up in value. Just because your house went up 100k in value doesn’t mean you automatically have to sell. He’s making a profit every single year and he has write offs. He’s a very smart business man who’s investment has gone up an insane amount from when he bought it. People don’t continue to throw stupid money at teams to lose money. There’s obviously a reason people are buying these teams at enormous amounts. Maybe one day these prices will fall but it doesn’t look like it’s happening any time soon. Kansas City Royals just sold for what?

I think we disagree fundamentally on what drives Arte. 

35 minutes ago, Sean-Regan said:

there's a lot in between and most of it has been about running a business which he will continue to do.