• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Haiku about the Angels

3 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Actually, it was a weird thing. The Mariners lost their three best players--Griffey, A-Rod, Randy--within a few years, and then won 116 games.

Looking at their 2001 roster, they only had a few standout players. Freddy Garcia (forgot about him) led the rotation with a 3.05 ERA and "only" 163 Ks in 238 IP.

13 minutes ago, Taylor said:

Looking at their 2001 roster, they only had a few standout players. Freddy Garcia (forgot about him) led the rotation with a 3.05 ERA and "only" 163 Ks in 238 IP.

Yeah,  it is a weird example of things coming together just right - and how the best team on paper doesn't always win the most games. 

They did have some good players, though. Five position players with 4.6+ WAR. Edgar was starting to slip a bit, but still really good. Bret Boone was roided out. Prime Mike Cameron. Olerud being Olerud. And of course, Ichiro's rookie season.

Speaking of Ichiro, crazy to think he hit .350+ four times. I miss .350 hitters...no one has done it since Josh Hamilton, of all people, in 2010. It happened all the time in the 90s and 00s, with 19 seasons from 2000-10, and none since. Three True Outcomes, I guess.

14 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Yeah,  it is a weird example of things coming together just right - and how the best team on paper doesn't always win the most games. 

They did have some good players, though. Five position players with 4.6+ WAR. Edgar was starting to slip a bit, but still really good. Bret Boone was roided out. Prime Mike Cameron. Olerud being Olerud. And of course, Ichiro's rookie season.

Speaking of Ichiro, crazy to think he hit .350+ four times. I miss .350 hitters...no one has done it since Josh Hamilton, of all people, in 2010. It happened all the time in the 90s and 00s, with 19 seasons from 2000-10, and none since. Three True Outcomes, I guess.

Joe Mauer was unbelievable too. Hitting .365 in 2009 with a 1.031 OPS while playing mostly a pretty good Catcher.

I really thought that dude was going to be the best catcher to ever live. Then he stopped.

1 hour ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Joe Mauer was unbelievable too. Hitting .365 in 2009 with a 1.031 OPS while playing mostly a pretty good Catcher.

I really thought that dude was going to be the best catcher to ever live. Then he stopped.

Speaking of Joe Mauer, I believe @Don still needs to make good on his bet.

9 hours ago, Taylor said:

Speaking of Joe Mauer, I believe @Don still needs to make good on his bet.

My stance has never changed. One of those dudes schedules the appointment, and I’ll be there. It comes up every few months, and someone swears they’re gonna take the lead on scheduling it, then crickets.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 6/2/2022 at 11:43 PM, Angelsjunky said:

Except A-Rod and Randy Johnson weren't on the Mariners anymore, so 

Your haiku-fu is

Not bad but factually

Could use some work, dog

After some reflection, I remember the original meaning of my haiku. I wasn't saying that all those players were there during the 2001 season. I was saying that despite an organization having a 116-win season, and having players like A-Rod and Big Unit through the years, they have 0 WS appearances.

Just now, Taylor said:

After some reflection, I remember the original meaning of my haiku. I wasn't saying that all those players were around during the 2001 season. I was saying that despite an organization having a 116-win season, and having players like A-Rod and Big Unit through the years, they have 0 WS appearances.

Sure. It is still striking, though, how they lost RJ during 1998, Griffey after 1999, and A-Rod after 2000--three of the best players of the 90s--then won 116 games in 2001, and 93 in each of 2002 and '03.

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

Sure. It is still striking, though, how they lost RJ during 1998, Griffey after 1999, and A-Rod after 2000--three of the best players of the 90s--then won 116 games in 2001, and 93 in each of 2002 and '03.

Maybe the Angels need to lose Ohtani and Trout, and they'll win 100+ games in 2025 or 2026.

Just now, Taylor said:

Maybe the Angels need to lose Ohtani and Trout, and they'll win 100+ games in 2025 or 2026.

Ha, if only it worked that way. The Mariners got a few solid players for RJ and Mike Cameron in the Griffey trade. They can use the Ohtani money elsewhere, but Trout and Rendon aren't really trade-able.