• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Angels need to sell

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Are we paying what he's due still?  if so...   Cleveland likely needs an OF.  The Phillies do as well.

Cleveland for sure. The Phillies, I'm not so sure.  They're getting a ton of offensive production from RF and it isn't specious enough to warrant spending big on a gold glove out there. 

And if it's just Cleveland, they may prefer Nick Castellanos. And that's if they're buying, which they may not.

I don't see us finding a trade partner for Calhoun.

Edited by Second Base

1 hour ago, floplag said:

This is simply not true though.  I realize most here think hes trash for some crazy reason but hes putting up a 1.2 WAR, good for 12th best in baseball, the exact same as Dexter Fowler, Jay Bruce, Nick Catellanos which many here want to get, and better than Choo, Harper, Puig, Piscotti, Markakis, Stanton etc... oh and just 0.1 under Haniger who everyone wants tor trade for and Riddick and Pence...  All while giving gold glove defense. 
If you think he has no value, you arent paying attention it would seem.  

It's not about value. It's about teams in a position to buy that specifically need a RF, and prefer Calhoun to Castellanos. That's a strangely specific criteria. 

Only other spot I could see Calhoun fitting could be Boston...they'd have to move Bradley to 4th OF and count on Betts or Benintendi as the CF full-time.

Despite dropping three to Oakland, I'm still leaning towards thinking the Angels will be buyers, to some degree. I see a lot more signs pointing towards that than I do selling. And it may just be someone like Andrew Cashner.

Edited by totdprods

23 minutes ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

No, it’s an 85 game sample size, over half the season sample size. This team is under .500 after 85 games. This team’s current core has finished under .500 2 years in a row. They’re on pace to do it again. But somehow the next 3 months will magically be different?

They have a complete line-up for the first time all season.

Cahill and Harvey's starts will be replaced by Suarez, Pena and Barria.

Bullpen will be getting JC Ramirez and Middlerton soon.

They were 9-16 at one point and they've gone 33-27 since.

The improvements have been incremental and they have a legit shot at being better than what they were earlier this year.

In lieu of this, the alternative is...what?

As has been discussed in this thread, if they are competing in 2020, they have limited assets to trade away.  La Stella and  maybe Calhoun...that's it.

42 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

Bullpen will be getting JC Ramirez and Middlerton soon.

JC not doing well in his rehab. he's had 3, 4 starts now and fastball is lost. was hitting 95 before injury, now sitting around 88-90. Looking like a Matt Harvey type project that just isn't going to workout. 

We really have nothing to sell. what we could give up is worth nothing. Maybe a few scraps for Kole.

56 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's not about value. It's about teams in a position to buy that specifically need a RF, and prefer Calhoun to Castellanos. That's a strangely specific criteria. 

This assumes their value is the same. I am guessing that the price for Calhoun will be lower than Castellanos.

The Angels will ask for your 7th best pitching prospect and that one reliever that can't quite break through. The Tigers will ask for a top-five prospect and more, in all likelihood.

1 hour ago, mulwin444 said:

As has been discussed in this thread, if they are competing in 2020, they have limited assets to trade away.  La Stella and  maybe Calhoun...that's it.

Count me in on the "keep LaStella" camp. Even if he's only 80% as good as his current slash line, I'd take that over whatever we would have available at third (since I assume Fletch would take over).  I mean, even if we sign Anthony Rendon in the off-season, he'd be super useful to have around. He and Rengifo would make the start of a freaking good bench.

9 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

This assumes their value is the same. I am guessing that the price for Calhoun will be lower than Castellanos.

The Angels will ask for your 7th best pitching prospect and that one reliever that can't quite break through. The Tigers will ask for a top-five prospect and more, in all likelihood.

But then there's a reverse bidding war at hand. Detroit doesn't want to get stuck with Castellanos and no compensation for him at the end of the year. QO figures to be set at 20 million next year, Castellanos numbers are down. If Detroit extends that offer, he may take it so he can have his payday and enter FA again the year after with no compensation attached and thus generate an even higher offer,  which would really mess the Tigers up. They'd have to trade him to get any compensation ab's would have no leverage. 

So this is the Tigers best chance to trade him. If there's only one team looking and two RF, Detroit needs to be competitive and work down the deal.