• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Would you trade Andrelton Simmons?

would you be willing to hand Rengifo the starting SS job next year?  

what if you could get a couple top pitching prospects?  

funny thing is, there aren't really any playoff contenders that need a SS.  

NYY, BOS, MIN, CLE, HOU, TEX, ATL, PHI, CHC, STL, LAD, COL, ARI, TBR are all pretty much set.  MIL doesn't have any good pitching prospects worth making that trade.  Could you convince a team to move their primary SS to another position?  

It'd be tough to match up.  

I'm inclined to keep him and actually extend him long term unless the Halos were overwhelmed by an offer.  Like a scenario where tampa offered Ronaldo Hernandez (C) and a pitcher from their top 10 as well as another from their top 20.  

It would be painful, but would you for a pitcher ready for the big with front line potential, a future everyday C and another good pitching prospect?  

Or do you sell high on La Stella?  

I would; the return would have to be insane. I would want at least one top 100 Infield prospect, a *quality* young pitcher with at least 4 years of control left, and a couple of other goodies thrown in to boot.

I would consider trading him to the Cubs for Baez, Alzodeleay, and a few top 20-ish prospects. I would swap him for Gelyber and Clint Fraizer, since they can't seem to find a place for their third best outfielder. Why in the hell would either team make these moves? Beats me.

I've been a proponent for at least considering the idea of dealing Simmons for a little while, but I'm cooling on it a bit, as I'm seeing other paths open up for us to acquire good starting pitching (which would be the ultimate goal in a Simmons trade) by dealing some prospects now for a controllable arm, and signing an upper-tier FA SP this winter. 

As mentioned, the biggest hurdle is there really isn't a clear match out there for Simmons. If the Padres or Braves had a clear need, then I'd be much more interested in this. 

The difference in production between Rengifo/Fletcher and Simmons at shortstop isn't so vast that it would outweigh the benefit of clearing up his eventual ~$15m AAV and the (at least) two elite prospects (a bat and an arm?) he'd probably command, if not more.

5 hours ago, arch stanton said:

If you get wowed I guess you consider it but he's the type of player who seems to have value above what you can measure for a trade.

^ This

Simmons is not only an exceptional talent, he is a Thinking player.  You will never see him just standing around watching the play.

I don't see any other team trading equal value.

2 minutes ago, Slegnaac said:

^ This

Simmons is not only an exceptional talent, he is a Thinking player.  You will never see him just standing around watching the play.

I don't see any other team trading equal value.

Pre-Machado Padres would’ve actually been a good match, and had more than enough elite SP prospect depth to wing a deal. 

Atlanta could’ve been in the market too and it would have been a good homecoming, but their pitching has faltered and the need isn’t really there. 

Both teams at different times over the last year could have offered the right value.

Boston and Philly have shitty farms, Cubs farm isn’t as hot, the Yankees have too many infielders, Milwaukee has too many IF prospects...there really isn’t a match. 

Just now, totdprods said:

Boston and Philly have shitty farms, Cubs farm isn’t as hot, the Yankees have too many infielders, Milwaukee has too many IF prospects...there really isn’t a match. 

So this thread is completely pointless?

3 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Why not just trade Rengifo/Fletcher. They are a bit redundant in their utility...

Personally I would trade La Stella before I traded either of those two.  As for trading Simmons, unless you are blown away, why would you do it?  I have a feeling he will be relatively easy to extend.  

Here is an interesting idea, if the Brewers offered Keston Hiura for Simmons would you do it?  The Brewers seem to be built for now.  

9 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Personally I would trade La Stella before I traded either of those two.  As for trading Simmons, unless you are blown away, why would you do it?  I have a feeling he will be relatively easy to extend.  

Here is an interesting idea, if the Brewers offered Keston Hiura for Simmons would you do it?  The Brewers seem to be built for now.  

I wouldn't trade simmons unless blown away either, but to your point...the angels are also built to win now as well. They have a bright future, but when you have Trout, Upton, Ohtani, simmons...that's just as win now as anything I've seen. I think its a fine line between trading for the future and upgrading the current roster to compete. I hope Eppler finds the balance between Stoneman and Dipoto. there is nothing more apparent than they need starting pitching to compete consistently. Cant keep running out 4-5 inning starters who give up 4-5 runs. Its just not winning baseball. The offense is fine, the bullpen is fine (would be great if starters could go deeper)

This thread asks, "would you trade Simmons."

For me the answer is, "yes" but realistically what can we get for him, he's a 30 year old SS with only 1 year left on his contract.

Probably better off keeping him for a few more years.