• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cesar Puello DFA'd

mmc

5 hours ago, Stradling said:

mr rogers childhood GIF by Cheezburger

You know, I had In N Out twice last week (on the way to Vegas and on the way from Vegas, both times at the St George/Washington location), and had two different experiences with the fries.

On the way to Vegas, the fries were fresh and tasty. On the way home (during lunch rush), they were pretty stale.

Bunch of thoughts from reading this thread...

-Puello could still get traded but they won’t get much for him because he was DFA’d so they have no leverage. 

-Puello also could clear waivers. Yes he’s a guy who hit .390 in about 50 ABs in the big leagues, but he’s also a guy who is 28ish years old and been DFAd about 5 times. 

-Front offices get a daily report of transactions from the commissioners office. I am sure the GMs not only read it themselves but have people assigned to monitoring the other teams to know in advance who might be DFA’d so they can prepare. No one goes unnoticed. GMs and scouts also get information from Twitter the same way we do, although it’s mostly to get an idea what’s about to happen, not what did happen.

-Don’t be so sure Tovar is getting DFA’d when Simmons comes back. I think they may option Rengifo so he can play everyday. That way they also keep both players. 

-There was really no other good move to make when Upton came back. Keeping just 3 infielders is a short term solution that may have only bought Puello days or a week. And with Fletcher’s shoulder and La Stella’s forearm being sore recently, it was asking for the nightmare scenario of Pujols someday starting a game at 3B.

35 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

....Don’t be so sure Tovar is getting DFA’d when Simmons comes back. I think they may option Rengifo so he can play everyday. That way they also keep both players. 

Really the move that makes the most sense....we aren't going to sit Fletcher or LaStella and continue to play Rengifo when Simmons gets back....Fletcher and LaStella will handle 2b and 3b (not sure who plays which position but they have earned everyday AB's)....Rengifo needs AB's....he won't get them in the bigs once Simmons is back....Tovar is a spare piece who can play all INF positions....he makes better sense than Rengifo, young guy who needs AB...the other option might be Cowart, who is hitting pretty well at SLC and can play all INF positions...

5 minutes ago, DMVol said:

Really the move that makes the most sense....we aren't going to sit Fletcher or LaStella and continue to play Rengifo when Simmons gets back....Fletcher and LaStella will handle 2b and 3b (not sure who plays which position but they have earned everyday AB's)....Rengifo needs AB's....he won't get them in the bigs once Simmons is back....Tovar is a spare piece who can play all INF positions, he makes better sense than Rengifo, young guy who needs AB...the other option might be Cowart, who is hitting pretty well at SLC and can play all INF positions...

Cowart is not on the 40-man anymore, and they still want him to work on pitching, although it doesn’t seem like he has that much. I’ve been meaning to check on that. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Cowart is not on the 40-man anymore, and they still want him to work on pitching, although it doesn’t seem like he has that much. I’ve been meaning to check on that. 

That's a different scenario then.....I just noticed he had some good offensive games in the last week or so....His pitching stats have been pretty bad, and limited, as you say....Would make more sense to keep Tovar if Cowart isn't on the 40 man...

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Bunch of thoughts from reading this thread...

-Puello could still get traded but they won’t get much for him because he was DFA’d so they have no leverage. 

-Puello also could clear waivers. Yes he’s a guy who hit .390 in about 50 ABs in the big leagues, but he’s also a guy who is 28ish years old and been DFAd about 5 times. 

-Front offices get a daily report of transactions from the commissioners office. I am sure the GMs not only read it themselves but have people assigned to monitoring the other teams to know in advance who might be DFA’d so they can prepare. No one goes unnoticed. GMs and scouts also get information from Twitter the same way we do, although it’s mostly to get an idea what’s about to happen, not what did happen.

-Don’t be so sure Tovar is getting DFA’d when Simmons comes back. I think they may option Rengifo so he can play everyday. That way they also keep both players. 

-There was really no other good move to make when Upton came back. Keeping just 3 infielders is a short term solution that may have only bought Puello days or a week. And with Fletcher’s shoulder and La Stella’s forearm being sore recently, it was asking for the nightmare scenario of Pujols someday starting a game at 3B.

This was why I was so bothered by the move.  I didn't want to see puello go.  However there was no "good choice", Upton had to be activated.  I really believe we could have gotten so.ething solid for Puello had this gone down a month later.

9 minutes ago, stormngt said:

This was why I was so bothered by the move.  I didn't want to see puello go.  However there was no "good choice", Upton had to be activated.  I really believe we could have gotten so.ething solid for Puello had this gone down a month later.

Puello was in the minors a month ago