• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Kimbrel Signed

It is an overpay, but the Cubs were in a very mediocre standing with their late innings guys (only 13 for 25 in save opps as a team).  

That said, they are essentially paying $43 million for only about 2.5 seasons ($17 million/season).

His BBs climbed to double what they were in 2017, although hits allowed was still miniscule in 2018.

Remarkable stat 1: He has never, eeeever had a WHIP above 1.10 so far in his career (0.92 career WHIP, stupid good).

Remarkable stat 2: He has allowed only 4.8 hits/9 innings in his career.   That is also stupid good.

59 minutes ago, Taylor said:

What an incredible overpay for a closer.

The interesting thing about this is that some sources like The Athletic are saying one of the reasons they were able to do this is because of the Zobrist situation.  So, the Cubs got Kimbrel in part because they had money become available when one of their players couldn't keep it in his pants, his wife found out, and he had to quit playing the game to get a divorce done...

It's like Jerry Springer baseball.

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Some teams do what they believe will help them to a WS Title now and in the future.

i don’t care for Maddon or the Cubs but respect the move. 

So, the Cubs tipped off Zobrist's wife?

edit:  Dont mind me -- Im being a wise ass.   I genuinely find the situation to be hilarious.

Edited by Inside Pitch

For comparison:

LAD - Jansen - 3 years left on a 5 year deal - 2019: $19,333,334 2020: $18,000,000 2021: $20,000,000

NYY - Chapman - 3 years left on a 5 year deal - 2019: $17,200,000 2020: $17,200,000 2021: $17,200,000

Both are on playoff bound teams and Kimbrel, Chapman, and Jansen are not too far apart on the career numbers in the regular season but Chapman and Jansen are a step up in the playoffs.  $14.3 mil per season for a near-elite closer when that is a main weakness on your team, you have cash, and you are trying to separate yourself from your competition is not a bad deal at all.

24 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The interesting thing about this is that some sources like The Athletic are saying one of the reasons they were able to do this is because of the Zobrist situation.  So, the Cubs got Kimbrel in part because they had money become available when one of their players couldn't keep it in his pants, his wife found out, and he had to quit playing the game to get a divorce done...

drama popcorn GIF

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

I don’t think you are accurate at all. He is the one filing for divorce. 

29 minutes ago, WeaverFever said:

I don’t think you are accurate at all. He is the one filing for divorce. 

Nah, you can check the Cook County records office where his wife filed for divorce if you need to .... She also hired a prominent divorce attorney who previously represented a billionaire hedge fund manager...  Zobrist for his part also filed for a separation in Tenn and similarly claimed inappropriate behavior on her part.  They are both pointing fingers but my info is on point.  Feel bad for them because it's likely gonna get ugly.

The Cubs have a few things going on that are pretty Springer-ish.  Joe Maddon is earning his paycheck.

4 hours ago, Taylor said:

What an incredible overpay for a closer.

Normally I would agree with this but the Cubs are a super wealthy franchise that’s already in a position to win. They got better on the field with this deal in clearly the most competitive division in baseball today. 

F0CAC04A-789C-492A-B966-FDA68B072EC4.jpeg

Edited by Calzone 2

• 3 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Nah, you can check the Cook County records office where his wife filed for divorce if you need to .... She also hired a prominent divorce attorney who previously represented a billionaire hedge fund manager...  Zobrist for his part also filed for a separation in Tenn and similarly claimed inappropriate behavior on her part.  They are both pointing fingers but my info is on point.  Feel bad for them because it's likely gonna get ugly.

The Cubs have a few things going on that are pretty Springer-ish.  Joe Maddon is earning his paycheck.

To be fair, Zobrist initially took time away from the team in an attempt to save his marriage. Plenty of ball players keep playing through a divorce. When it became contentious (I'm guessing they both made their mistakes), he didn't go right back to playing baseball. He stayed out to spend time with his kids through the process. Monetarily, neither party is hurting for money either.

By most accounts, he's actually a really good guy with his priorities straight. I don't doubt your source, because we all make mistakes, but I doubt that this is simply a war over money and custody and that's why he missed much of the year. I think it had a lot more to do with family.

1 hour ago, Calzone 2 said:

Nope I was clearly wrong on Kimbrel. A good Kimbrel has the Cubs in contention. He wasn’t. 

Kimbrel is a perfect example of how you'd like to see the Angels run the team and why that's a terrible idea.  

Ask the Cubs if they'd rather have had Harvey and Allen (similar overall salary total) or Kimbrel.  

This is not in response to your post at all and I am not a Maddon fan, but how is this his fault?