• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Trout batting second is a bust

the lineup that's been used so far (based on stats including subs) should average 4.514 runs per game.  Which would be 131 runs.  We've actually scored 136 runs.  

the perfect batting order would net 4.605 runs which would be 134 runs.  

So Ausmus lineups have netted 2 more runs than the math would imply for the best lineup.  

https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/LineupAnalysis.py?Player0=first&OBA0=.319&Slug0=.430&Player1=second&OBA1=.439&Slug1=.495&Player2=third&OBA2=.303&Slug2=.434&Player3=fourth&OBA3=.315&Slug3=.435&Player4=fifth&OBA4=.328&Slug4=.356&Player5=sixth&OBA5=.316&Slug5=.381&Player6=seventh&OBA6=.351&Slug6=.447&Player7=eighth&OBA7=.333&Slug7=.440&Player8=ninth&OBA8=.196&Slug8=.220&Model=1

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the lineup that's been used so far (based on stats including subs) should average 4.514 runs per game.  Which would be 131 runs.  We've actually scored 136 runs.  

the perfect batting order would net 4.605 runs which would be 134 runs.  

So Ausmus lineups have netted 2 more runs than the math would imply for the best lineup.  

https://www.baseballmusings.com/cgi-bin/LineupAnalysis.py?Player0=first&OBA0=.319&Slug0=.430&Player1=second&OBA1=.439&Slug1=.495&Player2=third&OBA2=.303&Slug2=.434&Player3=fourth&OBA3=.315&Slug3=.435&Player4=fifth&OBA4=.328&Slug4=.356&Player5=sixth&OBA5=.316&Slug5=.381&Player6=seventh&OBA6=.351&Slug6=.447&Player7=eighth&OBA7=.333&Slug7=.440&Player8=ninth&OBA8=.196&Slug8=.220&Model=1

kevin heffernan thank you GIF by Tacoma FD

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Trout batting 2nd makes the most sense.  If you want to ride the hot streak of a guy like Goodwin and bat him in front of Trout that is fine, but if you do that then Goodwin should be leading off and Trout batting 2nd.  

I see Trout more of a RBI guy now ... you have a better chance of scoring more often with two obp players in front of him. I think it also puts more pressure on the pitcher to challenge him. Then Trout needs to steal more often if they continue to pitch around him batting second. 

It will be interesting to see the lineup with Ohtani and Upton in it. 

1 minute ago, Troll Daddy said:

I see Trout more of a RBI guy now ... you have a better chance of scoring more often with two obp players in front of him. I think it also puts more pressure on the pitcher to challenge him. Then Trout needs to steal more often if they continue to pitch around him batting second. 

It will be interesting to see the lineup with Ohtani and Upton in it. 

So then bat a OBP guy 1st and 9th and get Trout batting 2nd so he still gets the 20 extra at bats a season.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So then bat a OBP guy 1st and 9th and get Trout batting 2nd so he still gets the 20 extra at bats a season.  

I hope you don’t believe getting 20 extra AB’s means anything in a 162 game season. That’s the last reason why you would bat him second imo. 

12 hours ago, Troll Daddy said:

Bellinger bats fourth ... but no, I would like to see him bat third the rest of the season. 

I think it is very stupid to put what is clearly your best hitter and best player in a game where there is a chance he will not bat in the first inning.  I don't know the reasoning why Bellinger bats 4th.  I do know he is not Trout, and the Angels do not have the offensive hitters that the Dodgers have.  

12 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I truly believe that getting the best player more at bats is a good thing.  

Winning is a good thing. Getting one extra AB every ten games or so is meaningless ...  it comes down to winning the game at hand. 

We could debate this all day long  ... there probably isn’t a definitive answer. 

6 hours ago, stormngt said:

I think it is very stupid to put what is clearly your best hitter and best player in a game where there is a chance he will not bat in the first inning.  I don't know the reasoning why Bellinger bats 4th.  I do know he is not Trout, and the Angels do not have the offensive hitters that the Dodgers have.  

Old school thinking ... leads MLB in RBIs 

5 hours ago, Randy Gradishar said:

Cleanup hitter either leads off or has men on. #3 hitter sees 2 outs and bases empty more than any spot in the lineup.

The only thing you can't do is bat Trout 3rd. Math says Trout, Upton, and Ohtani have to be in the 1, 2, and 4 spots.

Trout at leadoff is actually interesting; his rookie season is still somehow his best by far. Was it the steals, playing LF, or batting leadoff?

I like him at lead off.  I think it's stupid to have him in a position where he may not come up to bat in the first inning.  And with a greater likelihood that he only gets 4 at bats instead of 5 at a game.