• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

AngelsWin.com Today: Los Angeles Angels Minor League Hotlist

10 hours ago, Dochalo said:

cut Bourjos.  let Goodwin backup CF and put Fletcher at a corner OF spot as needed.  

So Goodwin who has been a good major leaguer this year becomes the 4th outfielder so we can call up Rojas?  If you are going to do that send Rengifo down and have Rojas at 2nd.  People will lose their shit because it means less playing time for Fletcher.  

17 minutes ago, Stradling said:

So Goodwin who has been a good major leaguer this year becomes the 4th outfielder so we can call up Rojas?  If you are going to do that send Rengifo down and have Rojas at 2nd.  People will lose their shit because it means less playing time for Fletcher.  

I am thinking that Doc is implying that Fletcher/LaStella starts at 2B/3B and backs up LF as needed, and that Goodwin starts in LF and backs up Trout in CF?    Although that would imply sending Rengifo down so that he can play every day.

Facebook just reminded me of this old gem from 10 years ago when I used to have a radio show for an hour during prime time hours talking about the Angels,  but mostly the farm system and top prospects.

I would go over my top 10 prospect hotlist and then take calls from those listening in. 

Good times. That last about 3 years from 2008-2010 until Jeff Biggs left AM 830 and it became ESPN shortly thereafter. 

I loved the intro music, the sounds of an earthquake rumbling followed by "And now Chuck Richter brings, The Richter Scale" or something like that. I gotta find the old MP3 that I saved somewhere.

FB_IMG_1556642325324.jpg

It won't be popular, but I'm fine with the Angels holding onto depth throughout May. Our schedule is favorable, a winning streak puts us back in the mix, and we have a lot of help returning soon. 

Keep the depth for now. Add a guy in once a month. Once July/August hit, we'll likely have room to add more.

Canning, Ward, and Rengifo are all in the mix now. 

Once Ohtani is back, I think you'll see Bour stick around for a little while longer, but ultimately, his days are numbered. Once he goes, any of Rojas, Thaiss, or Walsh make sense.

Once Adell, Hermosillo, or Upton are back...pull the cord on Bourjos. 

Once Heaney is back, Stratton is likely gone, or Pena to the pen if Stratton's already gonzo. 

Edited by totdprods

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

Bourjos aside, who do we cut from the 40-man is just as tough a question. Keep in mind we will need spots on the 40 for when Upton, Middleton, and Ramirez return as well, all could be possible in June/July. 

I don’t think they can risk cutting Bourjos yet, not with Hermosillo and Adell still out. Rojas, Ward, Rengifo, and Fletcher aren’t really true outfield depth. Puello and Parker would require a 40-man spot if added and both are out of options so we’d risk losing depth when Upton returns there as well. 

Hermosillo being out is really hurting his opportunity and causing a lot of roster inflexibility.

So who can they cut from the 40 man besides Bourjos.  

11 hours ago, Dochalo said:

cut Bourjos.  let Goodwin backup CF and put Fletcher at a corner OF spot as needed.  

Goodwin doesn't start?  How many starting opportunities will there be for these players: Fletcher, La Stella, Rengifro, Rojos, Goodwin.  

Five players for 1 outfield and three infield positions.  Who doesn't start.  And if they are not starting shouldn't they be down in t AAA getting every day at bats?

Just now, stormngt said:

fair enough, but Rengifro has looked good his short time up here.  Should be be sent down without a full audition only to bring in Rojas?  And there is the 40 man roster issue.

I'd definitely send Rengifo back. Let him keep seeing time at IF/LF to add to versatility. 

Same applies for Walsh, Ward, Thaiss, and Rojas. The more experience they get at those positions, the more they'll help us and the easier it will be to utilize them for the near-future. 

If it means we wait a few more weeks or months to have them reach the bigs, that versatility will pay off down the line. 

50 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I am thinking that Doc is implying that Fletcher/LaStella starts at 2B/3B and backs up LF as needed, and that Goodwin starts in LF and backs up Trout in CF?    Although that would imply sending Rengifo down so that he can play every day.

Where is Rojas?  This who conversation started because people were asking for Rojas to be called up.  

Fact is people outside of first base, our infield is not the problem right now.

2 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'd definitely send Rengifo back. Let him keep seeing time at IF/LF to add to versatility. 

Same applies for Walsh, Ward, Thaiss, and Rojas. The more experience they get at those positions, the more they'll help us and the easier it will be to utilize them for the near-future. 

If it means we wait a few more weeks or months to have them reach the bigs, that versatility will pay off down the line. 

For the first time in a long time, the Angels have supplemental players who are producing and not sucking.  In our everyday lineup:  only Bour and Calhoun are under achieving.  Goodwin, La Stella, Fletcher are all playing like solid players.  Our starting pitching is the only thing prevented us from really challenging this year.

5 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I don't think he has looked very good at all...

Entering Subdays game the kid was batting 333. 

He is at  230 and 313 Ob% despite 0-4 last game.  Plays excellent defense.  Wo I dont know what your criticism is.  Yes I guess his BA could be higher but with only 13 I think it's been solid.

10 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Entering Subdays game the kid was batting 333. 

He is at  230 and 313 Ob% despite 0-4 last game.  Plays excellent defense.  Wo I dont know what your criticism is.  Yes I guess his BA could be higher but with only 13 I think it's been solid.

Fletcher has been better, and Rengifo is taking his ABs. Fletcher is a better defender also.

15 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I am not arguing that.  In fact I am pissed that Fletcher is sitting his third straight game.  This conversation started when someone argued to bring up Rojas. 

I don't care about Rojas one way or the other, just want Fletcher to play everyday. If he only plays against LHP then he's being wasted in favor of a lesser player IMO.

On 4/29/2019 at 11:51 AM, Second Base said:

Great job!!

Really encouraged by what we've seen from de Horta, Deunsing and Bradish.  We've got some lively arms that were acquired for relatively cheap.  They aren't top prospects, but ina  couple of years, they'll be the depth any team needs. 

Really looking forward to seeing a healthy Jo Adell grace this list with his presence. 

Being an Angels, Colts, and Michigan fan, these past 6-7 years have taught me two things: Never, ever, EVER  underestimate the value of a solid, ho-hum #4 pitcher or a basically competent but unspectacular offensive lineman.  I feel like my sports fandom the past decade has been an exercise in what happens when you replace "average" with "awful" at those two positions in particular.

10 hours ago, stormngt said:

No argument from me!

I think that we can all agree that Trout,  Simmons, Goodwin, Fletcher,  Calhoun and (I can't believe I am saying this) Pujols need to be in the lineup every damn day they can  until Upton and Ohtani are healthy (or we decide that Thaiss is ready).

What's frustrating is that Fletcher and Rengifo SHOULD be starting at 2nd and 3rd for the time being, and if they like Rojas they should be giving him a chance at DH when Pujols isn't there-- It's not like these things are mutually exclusive. We need to do what we can to keep Cozart and Bour out of the lineup as often as possible.

5 minutes ago, ScruffytheJanitor said:

Being an Angels, Colts, and Michigan fan, these past 6-7 years have taught me two things: Never, ever, EVER  underestimate the value of a solid, ho-hum #4 pitcher or a basically competent but unspectacular offensive lineman.  I feel like my sports fandom the past decade has been an exercise in what happens when you replace "average" with "awful" at those two positions in particular.

100% agree. One thing that has really hurt the Angels recently is their lack to produce  talent that is quite simply just league-average and cheap. 

We’ve had to commit money and resources and playing time to rebound vets and waiver claims to plug holes and more often than not, it hasn’t worked out, which shouldn’t be that surprising considering who they were able to sign or claim. 

Once the Angels have a stable of young, cheap talent - with options - the better they will be. They’ll be able to rotate guys like Walsh, Rojas, Thaiss, and Ward based on who’s producing. They’ll be able to manage their bullpen as they have this year, rotating 6 guys through SLC using options, avoiding overuse.

This is how the game is trending. A reliance on cheap, young, internally developed talent that can be optioned like crazy.