• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Swing Rate

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Perhaps, likely even, all im saying is that a low swing rate that isnt producing more walks seems to suggest taking too many good pitches.

it's less about producing more walks and more about swinging at pitches that are in your hit/hot zone even if that means letting more strikes go by.  Then, when behind in the count with two strikes you are forced to protect a bit more.   Their discipline peripherals are really good right now.  Eventually that BABIP will normalize.  

55 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

it's less about producing more walks and more about swinging at pitches that are in your hit/hot zone even if that means letting more strikes go by.  Then, when behind in the count with two strikes you are forced to protect a bit more.   Their discipline peripherals are really good right now.  Eventually that BABIP will normalize.  

Glad  I read to the end ...you summed my position up perfectly.

They just scored two runs on walks.  We haven't seen them show this type of discipline in ages...   It's nice to see.  Now they need to have a few more hit balls fall in.

1 hour ago, RBM said:

Flop, did you read and comprehend what inside pitch wrote? It’s ok to move off your original premise when provided with additional information. 

i understood it perfectly, as well as what doc wrote, and while both are right, prior to today they were not hitting or walking at a rate that made sense based on that stat.  
Again, not questioning the methodology, only pointing out that to date it seemed anomalous. 

Thanks for all the great discussion and digging into stats guys. Super interesting and you guys do it before I can even think to

do you guys attribute this performance to Reed/Wooten and their gameplan? Or is it the guys they brought in already had this approach?

On 4/13/2019 at 9:12 AM, Stradling said:

So I am guessing Yunel Escobar and Juan Rivera had very bigly swing rates. 

Grounding into double plays and smelling his bat after a foul ball.  I miss Juan Rivera.  He just wasn't the same player after breaking his leg.

I'll always remember (hopefully) seeing Juan Rivera at the airport in VA, after the second game of a three game series against the Nationals. Thought he may have been traded. Chuck made me ask him why he was there. He said he was going to take care of personal business and hadn't been traded. Turns out his baby mama was about to give birth or already had.

On 4/15/2019 at 8:59 AM, NotMyCat said:

Grounding into double plays and smelling his bat after a foul ball.  I miss Juan Rivera.  He just wasn't the same player after breaking his leg.

You're right he did whiff a lot.