• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

They Attack Albert Pujols... Then Intentionally Walk Brian Goodwin

Albert Pujols up in the eighth with a 1-0 count and men on second and third, no out.  They pitch to him.  He taps out softly to second, no runners advance. 

Brian Freaking Goodwin comes to bat... and they intentionally walk him.

This is just getting sad.  How can Albert look at himself in the mirror at this point and see a viable contributor to a major league club?

12 minutes ago, Capital_Dave said:

Albert Pujols up in the eighth with a 1-0 count and men on second and third, no out.  They pitch to him.  He taps out softly to second, no runners advance. 

Pujols hit a sacrifice fly that Yellich made an outstanding play on that scored Bour from 3rd. Goodwin grounded out to end the 8th inning. 

Your and idoit. 

It’s too early to really make much of this, but Pujols is doing something different so far. His OBP is way up and his discipline is way better. But his average and power are down. 

It’s as if he’s just trying to spray the ball around and keep the line moving. He’s not just a dead pull hitter, but when he tries to go the other way he doesn’t hit it very hard so he still makes outs. 

It’s like he still has the ability to do lots of good things, but not all at once, so you have to pick which one or two skills you want him to use to maximize what’s left of him. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It’s too early to really make much of this, but Pujols is doing something different so far. His OBP is way up and his discipline is way better. But his average and power are down. 

It’s as if he’s just trying to spray the ball around and keep the line moving. He’s not just a dead pull hitter, but when he tries to go the other way he doesn’t hit it very hard so he still makes outs. 

It’s like he still has the ability to do lots of good things, but not all at once, so you have to pick which one or two skills you want him to use to maximize what’s left of him. 

I will take a higher OBP from him. The power is irrelevant at this point, if he can maintain a .260-.275 average with a .320-.340 OBP id be happy with it at this point in his career. Hes not the same player he was even 3 years ago.

7 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I will take a higher OBP from him. The power is irrelevant at this point, if he can maintain a .260-.275 average with a .320-.340 OBP id be happy with it at this point in his career. Hes not the same player he was even 3 years ago.

No chance he can hit .275. The major league average is about .248. The MLB OBP is about .318.

He’s .231/.340 now

14 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No chance he can hit .275. The major league average is about .248. The MLB OBP is about .318.

He’s .231/.340 now

I agree he wont ever come close to .275 but I be elated to see him hit it. My guess is he hits around .240 on the season with 15 homeruns with an OBP of around .310.

34 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It's what Torii Hunter did late in his career.  He was good at it too.

I also notice that Pujols has a slightly higher leg kick right now than he has in years past. 

With diminished flexibility we see Albert unable to get full body leverage into many of his swings. But he is still strong enough to drive a ball hard if it is in his zone and he anticipates what's coming. Age/injuries have taken their toll, but he is still smart. The key for him is to stay disciplined and not fall behind in the count. He has more pressure now because Upton and Ohtani are out of the lineup.

But if Boar continues his incremental progress it will take some of that pressure off him. I doubt he will hit more than 10 - 15 homers, and maybe end up with 50 - 60 RBI's at best if be plays often enough over the year. 

As well, it will be important if he can stay out of  too many double plays and not clog up the base paths. He is a real liability and barely can make it base to base even on solid hits. Because he has to really get an early jump  he is prone to being doubled off on caught liners. 

Pujols running is more like a slow jog, and possibly the most problematic part of his game. I expect to see a pinch runner more often if situationally appropriate. 

28 minutes ago, Randy Gradishar said:

If he can just be Reggie Willits without the speed and defense, that would be amazing.

22 minutes ago, tomsred said:

So, you want him to coach first base for the Yankees?

I had no idea Reggie "Williamsport" Willits is a coach with the Yanks. Good for him. 

3 hours ago, Capital_Dave said:

This is just getting sad.  How can Albert look at himself in the mirror at this point and see a viable contributor to a major league club?

Did Albert get the ribi with runner on third?  Must have since the runner on 2nd advanced.

Albert currently has a wRC+ of 104 making him an above avg hitter so far this season.  He's walked 6 times in 54 PA and even with a .231 BABIP, he's got a .333 obp.  

Don't get me wrong, I am not excited about him being a fixture in the lineup, but as Fletch mentioned, he seems more focused on getting on base over hitting for power.  I think that's going to serve him well this year.  He's still got some decent power even with the new approach and will probably run into 15-20 bombs.  If he can do that with a .320+ obp, I consider him more valuable than his last couple seasons.  

I mentioned in a game day thread earlier this week that Albert had a different approach.  He is using the whole field and I gotta admit he is one of the guys I want up with a runner in scoring position and less than two outs.  Hell I would take him over Simmons and his pop ups we have seen so far this year.  

On 4/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, Angel Oracle said:

Still one of my best contributions to gloss on here

2 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Yes is your best one.  A close second was Mathisn’t.  

I'm a fan of J. Pierpont Reagins. I don't understand the reference, but it must be clever and on point because it's from AO.

5 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I'm a fan of J. Pierpont Reagins. I don't understand the reference, but it must be clever and on point because it's from AO.

It’s a take off on a character from the mid 1960’s movie and play, How To Succeed In Business Without Trying. 

J. Pierpont Finch starts off with a company working in the mailroom, and then inexplicably works his way up to a high position in the company.    

Like him, Reagins started off low in the totem pole with the Halos as an intern, before of course eventually moving up to GM.

Like Finch, Reagins was ill equipped for the high up position that he held.

8 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

It’s a take off on a character from the mid 1960’s movie and play, How To Succeed In Business Without Trying. 

J. Pierpont Finch starts off with a company working in the mailroom, and then inexplicably works his way up to a high position in the company.    

Like him, Reagins started off low in the totem pole with the Halos as an intern, before of course eventually moving up to GM.

Like Finch, Reagins was ill equipped for the high up position that he held.

Ha, now that I know the backstory, that's a perfect nickname for Reagins.