• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Rojas over Ward for 3B?

Chuck

Jose Rojas has some serious pop and bats left, and is considered the better defender at the hot corner of the two. Ward looks like he'll need some more seasoning in to work on his defense. Ward has already made 3 errors this spring.

So, why not give Rojas more of a look for the starting 3B job? He's also more versatile in that he can play 2B and 1B as well. Thoughts?

IMG_20190313_215432.jpg

IMG_20190313_215523.jpg

Taylor Ward has a lot more thunder in that bat of his than Rojas does. So I wouldn't use that as the basis for Rojas over Ward. Nor would I quote ST stats.  Doing that led to a lot of embarrassing articles about Shohei Ohtani, and the national crow population suffered for it when it became the meal of choice for all the doubters once the season started.  Instead I'd just keep it simple.  Who is playing better right now? The answer is of course Rojas. But he won't play because the Angels are too busy pretending to compete with Cozart over at 3B batting .212 and getting injured every other week. 

But if this keeps up, yeah, go with Rojas. Definitely! I mean he is a local product with a knack for making meaningful contact, plays all out and is adequate defensively. Until someone with more upside actually makes good on some of it, Rojas should get a crack at it.

1 hour ago, DMVol said:

If they decide that Ward needs some more AAA time,  rather than Rojas, I think you would more likely see 2 of Fletcher, LaStella and Cozart (if he's healthy) at 2b/3b....

i think this was the plan all along, thats why they brought in LaStella.   The wildcard is Cozarts readiness.  Im not sure they have faith that Ward is ready even before Rojas had a good spring. 

11 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jose Rojas has some serious pop and bats left, and is considered the better defender at the hot corner of the two. Ward looks like he'll need some more seasoning in to work on his defense. Ward has already made 3 errors this spring.

So, why not give Rojas more of a look for the starting 3B job? He's also more versatile in that he can play 2B and 1B as well. Thoughts?

IMG_20190313_215432.jpg

IMG_20190313_215523.jpg

Rojas' opponent pitcher quality rates out to 5.5 -- so, High A.    https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2019.shtml

Neither guy has seen any real MLB quality pitching yet so the numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rojas' opponent pitcher quality rates out to 5.5 -- so, High A.    https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/LAA/2019.shtml

Neither guy has seen any real MLB quality pitching yet so the numbers have to be taken with a grain of salt.

i wish i could find a gif of Lou Browns comment about Willie Mays Hayes power surge in major league 2 about the guy who will be tending bar in a couple weeks... 

They should play the hot hand with this. Ward and Fletcher are having not so good springs and Rojas is. Ward has a small taste in MLB and to me that isn't much to justify. Specially when he hit .178 with the big club last year. Rojas can't be any worse so, in my mind, so therefore he's earned the spot for it. 

And it baffles me that Zack Cozart says he can be ready for Opening Day when he's only had 7ABs this spring and is dealing with an injury that has nothing to do with his shoulder. Let Cozart take his time and give Rojas a chance that so far he's earned. 

Every spring training stat needs a deeper look.

Sometimes a pitcher is working on one pitch and the hitter knows he is getting nothing but change ups.  So his home run on a change up he knows is coming is basically meaningless.

Sometimes a AAA hitter is facing a AA pitcher.  It doesn't matter if it happen in the "major league spring training" it is equally unimpressive.

It is possible to get something out of a spring a training stat but there are just too many variables behind the situation to rely on many if these stats.

Jose Rojas gets the start today against a good young pitcher in Freddy Peralta. The same guy that struck out 15 Rockies last year in Colorado. 

Let's see how he does today. @Inside Pitch

Ward needs more time at 3B defensively IMO though and I'm not digging La Stella at all. Since Rojas can play 3B, 2B and 1B, I'd rather have him on the team than the lite-hitting La Stella. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Jose Rojas gets the start today against a good young pitcher in Freddy Peralta. The same guy that struck out 15 Rockies last year in Colorado. 

Ward needs more time at 3B defensively IMO though and I'm not digging La Stella at all. Since Rojas can play 3B, 2B and 1B, I'd rather have him on the team than the lite-hitting La Stella. 

May I consolidate some thoughts here?The Angels have no 3B.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

May I consolidate some thoughts here?The Angels have no 3B.

Rojas and Ward are 3B. Cozart is and he's supposed to be back soon, by opening day for sure. I'd like him to be our 2B and Rojas 3B. 

14 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Rojas and Ward are 3B. Cozart is and he's supposed to be back soon, by opening day for sure. I'd like him to be our 2B and Rojas 3B. 

Please honestly predict where the Angels 3B will rank in MLB in 2019.

Be honest.

I will predict 24th.

If I am close, then I am comfortable saying the Angels have no 3B.

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

He could go 5-5 and I'm not sure if changes anything.

I like the guy, like his story even more...  I'm just saying ST numbers have to be taken in the proper context....   There are a lot of variables a lot of situations that won't exist come opening day, both at the MLB level and in the minors.  Albert Pujols is lighting the world on fire this spring too....

Rojas' is a fun guy to root for, an Anaheim kid through and through.

Edited by Inside Pitch

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Matt Long says hello. 

and Jeff Baisley
and Lucho Jimenez
and Matt Brown
and Freddy Sandoval

but every once in awhile you get Robb Quinlan who was a useful and versatile guy that hit lefties well (.792 ops vs. lefties for his career).  

Guys like Rojas deserve at least a reasonable look.