• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

What's up with all these 1-year deals?

Chuck

4 minutes ago, floplag said:

IF that happens, they will probably be dealt at the deadline and they will want huge increases and multi year deals wherever they go in 20.  Possible, sure, but i suspect Epp is planning for the kids to take those spots in 20 so i wouldnt expect it. 

no one is getting traded if we are on track for a playoff spot at the deadline.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

no one is getting traded if we are on track for a playoff spot at the deadline.  

Well see.
I think is Canning or someone else is ready, he would.
In fact i think thats exactly his plan, it makes perfect sense.  Have these guys bridge the gap then trade em to build the farm faster. 
As you say is it really worth  it otherwise?  Does it increase our chance at going deeper in the post to keep them even if we are in the second WC spot?    With this offense we arent likely to end up beating either NY, Bos, or Cle without divine intervention in a 5 or 7 game series. 

1 minute ago, floplag said:

Well see.
I think is Canning or someone else is ready, he would.
In fact i think thats exactly his plan, it makes perfect sense.  Have these guys bridge the gap then trade em to build the farm faster. 
As you say is it really worth  it otherwise?  Does it increase our chance at going deeper in the post to keep them even if we are in the second WC spot?    With this offense we arent likely to end up beating either NY, Bos, or Cle without divine intervention in a 5 or 7 game series. 

if we have a chance at a playoff spot, no one is getting traded.  It makes zero sense to do that.  

In fact, if we're in a good spot, I think Eppler will add.  

4 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

if we have a chance at a playoff spot, no one is getting traded.  It makes zero sense to do that.  

In fact, if we're in a good spot, I think Eppler will add.  

Well see.  Adding means trading people good enough to get an upgrade, that goes directly against the build the top 5 farm plan.
Not being sarcastic, just pointing out that clearly that goal isnt inline with mid season ads. 
You think he would set that plan back to maybe get past the 1 game WC?
You may be right but it would seem contradictory to the long term goals.
I think the only mid season ads we will see is from the farm, ive resigned myself to the fact that this is simply how it is.   I have no further expectations. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

what could get real interesting is if a lot of these one year guys do well and we make the playoffs.  Do we bring a bunch of them back?  

Probably give a few qualifying offers out. Puts the Angels in a great position to maintain flexibility if they are accepted. It also puts them in a great position to negotiate team friendly deals if they want to go longer term with any of them. If the QO is rejected the Angels get more draft picks and slot money!

3 hours ago, floplag said:

Trade bait, farm building in July, none of these guys will end the season on this team if they actually perform. 
19 for us is like summer stock theater, everyone of these signings is auditioning to be dealt to contenders.

Because flop

2 hours ago, floplag said:

IF that happens, they will probably be dealt at the deadline and they will want huge increases and multi year deals wherever they go in 20.  Possible, sure, but i suspect Epp is planning for the kids to take those spots in 20 so i wouldnt expect it. 

No

2 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that if Trout won't sign an extension, this is being done to make it easier to dump all the major contracts and do a Astros type rebuild..

really?  we bid on Corbin, Ramos, and Britton.  do you think that was lip service or that they were actually willing to make financial commitment to those players?  

7 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Unfortunately, I'm starting to think that if Trout won't sign an extension, this is being done to make it easier to dump all the major contracts and do a Astros type rebuild..

I've thought this too. Maybe not a complete tear down, but close.

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

really?  we bid on Corbin, Ramos, and Britton.  do you think that was lip service or that they were actually willing to make financial commitment to those players?  

maybe we only offered one or two years max to these guys. we'll never really know. Guess we can ask Heyman or Passon (or any national Baseball write) and get the truth!

1 minute ago, Dick Enberg said:

maybe we only offered one or two years max to these guys. we'll never really know. Guess we can ask Heyman or Passon (or any national Baseball write) and get the truth!

there's no way we were going to offer Corbin a 2 year deal that early in the off season.  That would have been an insult.  we wouldn't have even gotten a return phone call.  

we're on the verge of pulling out of a full nosedive.  he's not gonna shut the engines off after he's finally got control of the plane.  

a small yet perfect example - you don't trade for major league ready relievers if you're not looking to help the team now and over the next 3-5 years.  

another less subtle example.  How do you lure Ohtani here if you don't impress upon him a strong commitment to winning.  

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

there's no way we were going to offer Corbin a 2 year deal that early in the off season.  That would have been an insult.  we wouldn't have even gotten a return phone call.  

we're on the verge of pulling out of a full nosedive.  he's not gonna shut the engines off after he's finally got control of the plane.  

a small yet perfect example - you don't trade for major league ready relievers if you're not looking to help the team now and over the next 3-5 years.  

another less subtle example.  How do you lure Ohtani here if you don't impress upon him a strong commitment to winning.  

We really have no idea on what if anything was really offered to Corbin. that would go exactly against what Fletcher (our closes to being an insider) said in another thread.

7 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They have done exactly what Eppler said they were doing. 

They made as many small short term improvements as they could to give themselves a chance at the playoffs this year, while sacrificing none of the farm system and taking on no large financial commitments. 

Injuries destroyed us. including Ohtani's. I think Othani sees that. Next year we have two big local fish hitting free agency. Arenado and Cole. all hands on deck for these two. we'll need our $$$ then and not all tied up in Britton or Corbin. 

I think the bigger question than what's the deal with the one year deals is "What's going on with the labor market?"  Eppler is signing one year deals because he can get away with it.  It really makes a ton of sense to do as many one year deals as possible.  There's no such thing as a bad one year deal (as the saying goes).  It keeps the roster flexible and it doesn't appear anyone really gets a discount by offering multiple years.

Agents were furious about the tweaks to the CBA two years ago and it's clear why; they're getting hosed.  I don't think there's collusion, I think the teams just have the deck stacked in their favor.  They can make analytical arguments against handing out large contracts and they would probably hold up in court.  Everyone is playing the hand that makes the most sense based on these rules.

9 hours ago, floplag said:

Trade bait, farm building in July, none of these guys will end the season on this team if they actually perform. 
19 for us is like summer stock theater, everyone of these signings is auditioning to be dealt to contenders.

lol 

2 minutes ago, Lou said:

lol 

Yea, it is a fucking ludicrous opinion.  Flop has his feelings hurt right now because the team isn’t doing what he wants them to do.  So he is creating narratives that aren’t remotely true.  Oh if they play well and the Angels are in contention they will trade these players regardless.  Which no one except for him believes.  Or how bout, he doesn’t think the Angels will add if they are in contention because it would cost some of the farm.  So he is blind to the thought of trading for a long time piece or simply if we are playing well and in contention grabbing that one arm or bat that puts us in better contention at the cost of some mid level prospects.  It is simply:

winnie the pooh thank you GIF

8 hours ago, floplag said:

Well see.  Adding means trading people good enough to get an upgrade, that goes directly against the build the top 5 farm plan.
Not being sarcastic, just pointing out that clearly that goal isnt inline with mid season ads. 
You think he would set that plan back to maybe get past the 1 game WC?
You may be right but it would seem contradictory to the long term goals.
I think the only mid season ads we will see is from the farm, ive resigned myself to the fact that this is simply how it is.   I have no further expectations. 

This post is simply insane.

4 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

This post is simply insane.

Yep.  They could get a rental that won’t cost much more than a mid level prospect.  We could have more prospects emerge and take the next step.  They could add a long term piece by giving up some farm pieces.  

I am curious why Arte has kept the payroll at the same level for the last 3 years. Having to pay three players 9o million really facilitates the need for the plethoa of 1 year deal. Until Pujols is off the books this will continue to be a problem especially if Trout signs a huge extension. Unless Arte is willing to add to the payroll Eppler will be hamstrung. The yearly increase for Trout, if he signs an extension could be 10 million. Signing Simmons could add another 5-10 million. Given this the only way they could sign a Cole or Arenado would be to increase the payroll by 20-30 million. Arte hasn’t shown an incling to do that. I hope Iam wrong.