• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RIP Eli Grba

fan_since79

18 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

He pitched the Angels' very first game.

April 11, 1961

9 IP, 6 hits, 1 ER

Angels put up 7 runs in the first two innings and that was that!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL196104110.shtml

That’s more runs than they scored the 8 years Ryan pitches here. 

13 hours ago, eligrba4ever said:

Requiescat in pace, Mr. Grba. Your place in Angels history will be forever the first Angel.

A little known fact:

Yes, Grba was the first ever player drafted by the Angels, but he was not the first signed by the Angels. That honor goes to Del Rice. Rice had been given his unconditional release by the Baltimore Orioles at the end of the previous season. So when he heard about the formation of the LA Angels baseball team he approached Gene Aurty and Fred Haney and offered his services. 

The Baseball Guide, 1972 edition. St. Louis: The Sporting News, p. 313. --- Rice became the first player ever to sign with the Los Angeles Angels expansion team. He played in 30 games during their inaugural 1961 campaign and was released as a player at the end of the season, but was retained within the organization. He played in his final major league game on 31 August 1961 at the age of 39.

I had the privilege of meeting him during the Angels 50 year anniversary celebration season.  They had a different former Angel at every game that year and he was one of them.  Might of even been the first game.  I can't remember.  He signed autographs, etc.  It was nice meeting him and he seemed to really enjoy being a part of the festivities. 

I was lucky enough to see the first home game the Angels played in Wrigley in 1961. Eli Grba pitched for the Angels against the Minnesota Twins that day. I went with my Dad. He was a huge PCL Angel fan (back in the Day), and I had attended many of those games with him as well. We sat right behind the 3rd base dug-out. I remember Steve Bilko tossing a ball into the stands just before the game started. It landed just a couple of seats away from where we were sitting. Dammit, I really wanted that ball. Sadly, we lost 4-2 to the Twins on our inaugural Home Opener in 1961. Ty Cobb threw out the First Pitch before the game. (I Have always wondered if that 'Ty Cobb' ball is in the Angels Hall of Fame).