• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

The problem is that all he's doing is hitting HR. He's not hitting for average, taking walks, or stealing bases. He's just hitting a bunch of HR. Don't get me wrong - he's an exciting prospect - but the other aspects of his game need to develop for him to become an elite prospect.

How is his defense? Presumably the Angels see his future at 2B, given that he's played a bunch of games there this year after all at SS last year.

23 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Finally, a chance to see how he emerges from a slump.  The last piece of the puzzle before promotion to AAA?

Possibly. AA might be the more challenging environment based on the competition and the climate. 

Worth mentioning also, going back to 6/25, Adell is hitting .269/.355/.463/.818, which is still very, very good, but not really the earth-shattering ‘promote him now!’ production that the start of his year hinted at.

It too is a reason I’ve cooled a little bit from the idea of Adell opening ‘20 as our RF - partially because I think he needs to get MLB at-bats before being handed the job, and it’s looking less likely that opportunity is going to happen this year, based on his possible ‘slump’, Calhoun not likely to be traded, and the Angels fighting for a playoff spot.

Adell's last 7 games: .179/.303/.214/.517, one extra-base hit, 5 BB, 10 K in 33 PA

Edited by totdprods

Since joining the Angels organization 38 games ago, Gareth Morgan has hit 18 HR and struck out 82 times in 166 PA. 

He's on a 162-game pace of 77 HR, 167 RBI, 22 BB, and 350 strikeouts across 708 plate appearances, over what's becoming a not-too-small-sample-size. 
Despite the insane strikeout rate and hilariously low walks, he's still hitting .293 as well - with 22 of his 46 hits being for extra-bases - so, he actually gets a fair share of regular base hits as well.

It's almost like a more extreme Joey Gallo, which didn't seem possible.

This seems like it will just be a bizarre footnote one day, but it will be interesting to keep an eye on him this year and next, should he stay in the org and make it up to AA.
If he can somehow maintain a decent BA (.250-.300) and continue slugging around .600, the lack of walks and ridiculous strikeout-rates might start to matter a little less...

Edited by totdprods

47 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Since joining the Angels organization 38 games ago, Gareth Morgan has hit 18 HR and struck out 82 times in 166 PA. 

He's on a 162-game pace of 77 HR, 167 RBI, 22 BB, and 350 strikeouts across 708 plate appearances, over what's becoming a not-too-small-sample-size. 
Despite the insane strikeout rate and hilariously low walks, he's still hitting .293 as well - with 22 of his 46 hits being for extra-bases - so, he actually gets a fair share of regular base hits as well.

It's almost like a more extreme Joey Gallo, which didn't seem possible.

This seems like it will just be a bizarre footnote one day, but it will be interesting to keep an eye on him this year and next, should he stay in the org and make it up to AA.
If he can somehow maintain a decent BA (.250-.300) and continue slugging around .600, the lack of walks and ridiculous strikeout-rates might start to matter a little less...

Gareth Morgan's power is downright comical.  If baseball doesn't work out, he just needs to travel around and host his own HR derby in different cities.  Also, it should be noted that he was a CBB pick, so clearly scouts have felt for a while that talent is there. 

21 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Gareth Morgan's power is downright comical.  If baseball doesn't work out, he just needs to travel around and host his own HR derby in different cities.  Also, it should be noted that he was a CBB pick, so clearly scouts have felt for a while that talent is there. 

I've never seen anything like this. I've seen ridiculous power before, but it always came with high walks or low BA with crazy strikeout rates. Morgan isn't doing either - he's not walking at all, and he's making good contact. 

It's almost like someone gave Willians Astudillo 80+ grade power or put him on the lunar surface, and knowing this, he decided to swing at everything.
Instead of a ton of contact, no walks, no strikeouts...it's a ton of contact that happens to leave the park literally 50% of the time, or a strikeout.
His BAbip is nearly .500 in 100+ plate appearances. That's crazy! His ISO is nearly .400!

It's not just raw, pull-power either - he's hitting 30% pull, 38% center, 32% opposite.
His flyball percentage is high at 38% - but that's not nearly as high as it could be for a guy on pace for 80 HR in 162 games - Bonds was around 45-50% at his peak.

That weird blend of high-contact and high-power gives me a little curiosity that something might come out of this, but it would be anomaly never really seen in baseball recently - much like Astudillo.

Edited by totdprods

3 minutes ago, mulwin444 said:

What the hell?

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/a/astudwi01.shtml

He has 105 total strike outs in 3,446 plate appearances in his career...that's crazy

And only 120 walks.

In the bigs, 4 walks, 8 strikeouts in 239 plate appearances.

19 BB and 20 K is his career high in either category, both in A ball in 465 PA.

Just updated my own personal Top 30....

Newest entries: Jose Rojas (because for some inexplicable reason I didn't have him listed, which is weird), Adrian Rondon and Oliver Ortega. 

Dropping Out: Jerryell Rivera, Luis Madero and Jose Castillo

On the bubble: Connor Von Scoyoc, Isaac Mattson, Jeremy Beasley

6 hours ago, totdprods said:

Crazy. I hope it isn’t Pioneer League fools good. 

Me to. 

Remember Roberto Lopez? 

His first season professional ball was at Orem and he hit .400 with 14 HR. Never made it to the big leagues, now playing in the Mexican League. We drafted him out of USC. 

Roberto Lopez.png

9 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Me to. 

Remember Roberto Lopez? 

His first season professional ball was at Orem and he hit .400 with 14 HR. Never made it to the big leagues, now playing in the Mexican League. We drafted him out of USC. 

Roberto Lopez.png

I remember Roberto. Solid minor leaguer at every level, never got a shot at the majors unfortunately. But he's enjoyed a long career.

Jose Bonilla was our #2 international prospect signing from last year after Alex Ramirez.  He's posted an intriguing 10/13 K/BB ratio and a .369 OBP so far in his first run through the DSL.  Like Alex Ramirez, Bonilla's power, specifically to the pull side intrigued many scouts.  The power hasn't manifested in many XBH yet like it has with Ramirez, but the belief is that it will eventually.  He's playing SS this year but the belief is that he'll end up either at 3B or RF. 

Fangraphs rated the Angels farm as #17...seems like a fall from before the season began. They use a formula based upon the FV (Future Value) of prospects. I think the Angels rate so low (or middle-of-the-pack, really) because they essentially have one elite prospect, a few good ones, and then a bunch of young guys with upside but it seems to be too soon to rate them well. 

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Fangraphs rated the Angels farm as #17...seems like a fall from before the season began. They use a formula based upon the FV (Future Value) of prospects. I think the Angels rate so low (or middle-of-the-pack, really) because they essentially have one elite prospect, a few good ones, and then a bunch of young guys with upside but it seems to be too soon to rate them well. 

Graduating Canning and Rengifo (maybe Buttrey) dinged them a bit.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

Graduating Canning and Rengifo (maybe Buttrey) dinged them a bit.

It's the FV rankings so yes....    Buttrey, Rengifo, Canning are cashing in on the FV in terms of actual fWAR

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/an-update-to-prospect-valuation/  if you read that you'll see the actual WAR estimates based on values...  Basically the Angels lose some FV value rankings but based on the early returns are already ahead (pace wise) of their previous FV predictions.

Example, Canning was rated as a 50 FV, for pitchers that means an average of 2.3 WAR.... 14 games into his MLB career he's at 0.8 fWAR.

Basically he's torching his FV rating.

Edited by Inside Pitch