• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2019 Minor League Statline and Prospect Discussion Thread

Chuck

Just now, Second Base said:

That's news to me as well. Typically guys like that make some noise sooner and we hear about them. How are we just now getting this info?

maybe he was pumped up for the game.  Bodes well for him becoming a reliever at least.  

we might have to do a top 40 this year instead of a top 30.  

there's some serious depth developing in this system.  Especially on the mound.  Soriano, Rodriguez and Sandoval are out in front, but there are several other guys not far behind who have velo and at least one plus secondary pitch.  

Aquino, Bradish, Hernandez, Madero, Oretga, Yan, Wantz, Warren, Molina, Alvardo etc.  

half a dozen others plus the 2019 draft.  When was the last time we had a score of pitchers (bringing score back TM Norm McDonald) to watch?  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

maybe he was pumped up for the game.  Bodes well for him becoming a reliever at least.  

we might have to do a top 40 this year instead of a top 30.  

there's some serious depth developing in this system.  Especially on the mound.  Soriano, Rodriguez and Sandoval are out in front, but there are several other guys not far behind who have velo and at least one plus secondary pitch.  

Aquino, Bradish, Hernandez, Madero, Oretga, Yan, Wantz, Warren, Molina, Alvardo etc.  

half a dozen others plus the 2019 draft.  When was the last time we had a score of pitchers (bringing score back TM Norm McDonald) to watch?  

Lots of depth. Just not a lot of upside, and the ones with upside are quite a ways away.

34 minutes ago, Second Base said:

That's news to me as well. Typically guys like that make some noise sooner and we hear about them. How are we just now getting this info?

Ditto... I'd heard he could touch 94, but that's a far cry from sitting 95-98...   If that's a legit reading, holy cow...

7 hours ago, Dochalo said:

just to further the point, Ortega can hit 98 and has an era in the low 3's at A+ at age 22 but doesn't make mlb.com top 30.  

I have found the MLB.com prospect rankings and scouting is quite lazy.  For example (and this is just one example), according to BA Luis Madero has the best control in the system.  That makes sense to me, afterall, he has a career 2.77  BB/9 in the minors, which is pretty damn solid.  Yet, when you look at the mlb.com scout profile Madero's control is listed at 45 which is below average.  I used to really watch the mlb.com rankings closely but the more I follow different outlets they are akin to those Lindy's and Athlon college football magazines.  Superficial with no real substance. 

7 hours ago, Second Base said:

I didn't know he had that type of fastball either, but it doesn't stop there.  But let me throw another name at you, or any of the prospects hounds that frequent this thread.   Luis Alvarado.  Now, I've been watching him closely, and the only scouting report on him I can find is a little blurb from Scout.com (which is nothing more than a fan site because I used to write for them a while back).  It says he has a low 90's fastball, and a couple of off-speed pitches. 

But here's the interesting story on him.  He hasn't pitched for very long.  He primarily played outfield in college (and would do the occasional relief appearance).  He was drafted out of HS, and then again out of college as an outfielder (13th round by Seattle in 2017).  Goes back for his senior year to finish school, and Nebraska tries to convert him to a full time starter.  He pretty much struggles all year mixed in with the occasional flash of brilliance in April.  We pick him in the 17th round last year.  He got rocked in rookie ball (remember, he's still continuing his first real year as a pitcher) but puts up decent strike out numbers and walks.  The Angels start him in Burlington this year primarily as a starter.  And of all the cumulative stats in Burlington, his are the most impressive.  Now, his BB/9 is a little high at around 4, but his SS/9 is close to 12, and opponents batting average is below .190. 

Now, I would love to see a more updated scouting report on him.  He's super athletic and has a very projectable frame.  I am curious to see if his fastball has gotten better and how our scouts feel about his secondary pitches.  Luis Alvarado is the pitcher I think a lot of people are over-looking. 

It helps to have a real GM who doesn't treat the farm like his own playland, unlike Dumbpoto. 

Eppler has restored pride to this franchise.   The winning/contention seasons are just around the corner as a result.

Meanwhile in Dumbpoto land, the M's are wallowing in a horrible record since starting off 13-2, and do have a few good prospects but absolutely no depth on the farm.  

12 hours ago, Second Base said:

Lots of depth. Just not a lot of upside, and the ones with upside are quite a ways away.

With the way Eppler aggressively promotes, and with the sheer volume of arms and the way they're being used in tandem, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some arms reach the bigs sooner than usually expected, and used in an unconventional capacity. 

We're seeing almost all of these A/A+ ball arms used in tandem as starters and relievers; it wouldn't surprise me if by 2021 we see a vast majority of these guys comprising not only the back half of the rotation, but a bulk of then pen - even if they're stretched out as SPs - with a similar stash of guys in AAA. Almost like a 20-man pitching staff with only a couple defined roles - led by a FA SP Ohtani, and maybe a developed 'ace' like Canning, with an experienced 'closer/high-lev RP like Buttrey and Middleton - constantly rotating between SLC/Anaheim due to the fact they all have options, conditioned to perform in a multitude of roles; traditional starter, opener, multi-inning reliever, high-lev RP...

I don't think that's necessarily ideal - nor very likely, but it's a realistic scenario now. The game is changing, and these wave of arms might be in the process of being conditioned for use in a way we've not yet seen with a big-league pitching staff. 

Edited by totdprods

28 minutes ago, totdprods said:

With the way Eppler aggressively promotes, and with the sheer volume of arms and the way they're being used in tandem, I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some arms reach the bigs sooner than usually expected, and used in an unconventional capacity. 

We're seeing almost all of these A/A+ ball arms used in tandem as starters and relievers; it wouldn't surprise me if by 2021 we see a vast majority of these guys comprising not only the back half of the rotation, but a bulk of then pen - even if they're stretched out as SPs - with a similar stash of guys in AAA. Almost like a 20-man pitching staff with only a couple defined roles - led by a FA SP Ohtani, and maybe a developed 'ace' like Canning, with an experienced 'closer/high-lev RP like Buttrey and Middleton - constantly rotating between SLC/Anaheim due to the fact they all have options, conditioned to perform in a multitude of roles; traditional starter, opener, multi-inning reliever, high-lev RP...

I don't think that's necessarily ideal - nor very likely, but it's a realistic scenario now. The game is changing, and these wave of arms might be in the process of being conditioned for use in a way we've not yet seen with a big-league pitching staff. 

I think this is the future of baseball. I think the scarcity of guys who can go 6+ innings consistently will force teams to go in that direction. The Angels seem to be doing a good job preparing for it.

I've tried expressing what you said in several posts in several threads. You did a much better job.

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

also think they really like their odds of getting something/anything out of a pitcher from the 11th, 16th, 22nd etc round than the college senior CFer who's pretty much maxed out in terms of potential.  

Angels seem to be looking to build or rebuild guys from the ground up.  Pitchers or hitters.  They look for a certain foundation and go from there.  

6 hours ago, tchula said:

I have found the MLB.com prospect rankings and scouting is quite lazy.  For example (and this is just one example), according to BA Luis Madero has the best control in the system.  That makes sense to me, afterall, he has a career 2.77  BB/9 in the minors, which is pretty damn solid.  Yet, when you look at the mlb.com scout profile Madero's control is listed at 45 which is below average.  I used to really watch the mlb.com rankings closely but the more I follow different outlets they are akin to those Lindy's and Athlon college football magazines.  Superficial with no real substance. 

Yeah. MLB usually get the top 3-5 right on, then it's like they ask Mayo to list 25 prospects he's heard about from the top of his head. 

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

also think they really like their odds of getting something/anything out of a pitcher from the 11th, 16th, 22nd etc round than the college senior CFer who's pretty much maxed out in terms of potential.  

Angels seem to be looking to build or rebuild guys from the ground up.  Pitchers or hitters.  They look for a certain foundation and go from there.  

I LOVE the fact that they target high-velocity, high strikeout relief arms from college. It's a great way to keep your farm stocked with cheap relievers, and a few will develop into reasonable starters with a high-upside pitch to boot.

2 hours ago, eaterfan said:

I think this is the future of baseball. I think the scarcity of guys who can go 6+ innings consistently will force teams to go in that direction. The Angels seem to be doing a good job preparing for it.

I've tried expressing what you said in several posts in several threads. You did a much better job.

Yup - maybe they don't find the steady, typical SP prospect...or a guy who's an elite, lockdown dynamic bullpen talent...

But maybe they find someone who can run through the order once or twice, paired with an opener or a fellow tandem starter, and give you 2-3 solid innings every 3 days or so instead of a guy going 5-6 every 5 days. 

Oliver Ortega is a good example...the kid wowed folks at the A-ball ASG and came from nowhere. He probably isn't a future MLB SP, at least no better than a back of rotation guy if lucky. Nor was he ever an obvious relief candidate. But they've stretched him out and if used optimally, might be the next Felix Pena/Noe Ramirez/Luke Bard/Taylor Cole-type - has the length to give you more than an inning, but you don't need him to be a 5-6 IP, 100 pitch guy. It increases his chances of being useful to the Angels. 

Might be why they've toyed with Barria in a hybrid role this year, despite the clear need in the rotation. He's an experiment of this plan at the big-league level. These conversions sort of started with Ramirez, Bridwell, and Pena too. Wouldn't surprise me if Anderson wound up being stretched back out, at least to a 2+ IP workload, once Middleton returns.

Edited by totdprods

Connor Van Scoyoc debut for the AZL tonight.  

11th round pick that cost the Halos about 400k (125k max for 11th round so over slot by a fair amount).  HS kid from Indiana.  6'6", 210 lb RHer.  Age 19. 

was 88-92 when drafted.  main secondary pitch a slider.  

didn't pitch last year.